• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'An Open Letter to the Industry' Translated into Japanese

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Let's just hope some of the Japanese-speaking people who need to read this do read this. There's some darn good advice in the letter.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Aye. I have to wonder if my own message to Bandai's US head is being passed around as well. It has many of the same things - but much more in depth about many things.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Let's just hope some of the Japanese-speaking people who need to read this do read this. There's some darn good advice in the letter.

I hope so too. JETRO, the Japanese government body that promotes Japanese entertainment content overseas, has expressed interest in disseminating it to their anime related contacts, which is pretty much everyone. That would be pretty amazing.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, hail the internet.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Aye, the seeds are sown, well done Justin. Now lets see what the harvest will be.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
What would be even more amazing is that Justin has done something that no one else has done before....

>.> .... I think....

Instead of only ranting, he took action. Maybe he'll get a trip to Japan too, or just a letter/response back.

o_o I await eagerly for some kind of revelation.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great~ I hope the right people will be able to read this!

Unfortunately, I think the question is: will they listen? Some of the Japanese companies either don't understand what's happening with the fansub and fan culture scene. And while it's true that Justin Sevakis has influence and importance in the North American anime scene, will people in Japan listen?
Axe-336

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, hope this turns out well. Its always interesting how something put in the right place at the right time can really change things.
Faceman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Justin, just wondering if you've gotten any positive, offical feedback from anyone in the industry, either North America or Japan (or elsewhere)?
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Where is the original English version? I'd like to read this.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
tlsmith1963 wrote:
Where is the original English version? I'd like to read this.

Same article, just scroll up. The link is to a specific part of the page, halfway down to the Japanese part. Just scroll to the top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsevakis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Justin, just wondering if you've gotten any positive, offical feedback from anyone in the industry, either North America or Japan (or elsewhere)?

Privately, I've gotten nothing but positive feedback from several friends of mine in both the US and Japanese sides of the industry. But they were people that I knew would probably agree with me anyway, so while their support is appreciated, there's not as much triumph in preaching to the choir. Something I had in mind when writing it was to offer a tool to help them convince the people they need to convince, so it'll be some time until I hear if anything was truly achieved. Even if it is, it probably won't be attributable directly to the article. I think changing the minds of key people will take chipping away over an extended period of time, and no one thing will do it alone.

Getting the government agency's support is much more important, in my opinion, as it's an outside consultant with nothing to gain other than a need to generally make sure everyone's doing well.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
The "letter" is so rational and well laid out that anyone who is reasonable should be able to acknowledge the points made. Someone reposted it on MAHQ's boards where there has been mainly positive feedback as well. I think most of the negative feedback is from people who skim the article or are instantly defensive in anything related to fan subs.

By the way Justin, how is the TMS Classics formula working? Does it look feasible enough for another batch of DVDs? How do the rights for these titles cost in regards to other less popular titles like Media Blasters sub only line? What is your take on this approach since cost as you mentioned can be a factor against legal copies and the fact that some titles can't even cover their dubbing costs. Maybe your next editorial/update can be in regards to the market and DVD costs especially in the wake of BVUSA and IATV releases.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
The "letter" is so rational and well laid out that anyone who is reasonable should be able to acknowledge the points made. Someone reposted it on MAHQ's boards where there has been mainly positive feedback as well. I think most of the negative feedback is from people who skim the article or are instantly defensive in anything related to fan subs.

Thanks for that. I'm very happy the response has been overwhelmingly positive so far. I'm curious as to what the Japanese response will be. (Someone told me there's been some discussion there already, but Googling my name in Katakana didn't result in much except Google thinking I was a bot and temporarily blocking me)

So far I've gotten two "Justin Sevakis is a jerkoff" blogs writing/podcasting about me. Both came off as pretty idiotic, because they both called me names, seemed to completely misunderstand the article, then more or less repeated my exact points. I take that to mean that they just want attention, or are just really really dumb. (The podcaster, specifically, sounded like a drunk surfer. I rather enjoyed that one. :p)

But of course, this IS a letter to the industry, taking them to task specifically, so fan response, while interesting, isn't nearly as important as that. Most fans wouldn't be in a position to know if many of my statements were true or not.

Quote:
By the way Justin, how is the TMS Classics formula working? Does it look feasible enough for another batch of DVDs? How do the rights for these titles cost in regards to other less popular titles like Media Blasters sub only line? What is your take on this approach since cost as you mentioned can be a factor against legal copies and the fact that some titles can't even cover their dubbing costs. Maybe your next editorial/update can be in regards to the market and DVD costs especially in the wake of BVUSA and IATV releases.

***DISCLAIMER: I no longer work directly for iaTV, though I'm still quote involved with them.
We were pleasantly surprised at the demand; we did about the overall numbers I was hoping for. The only show that didn't do so hot was my favorite one of the bunch, Remi. But that's because there was no pre-existing fan base for that in the States.

Without speaking in an official manner, I'd say the experiment was a success, with a few behind-the-scenes flubs that the consumers didn't see. Some retooling of the machine will be required before making another stab, but I think there will be another stab.

And you know I can't disclose terms of individual contracts due to the nondisclosure agreements! :p
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quote
I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of firing a copy of the Japanese translation into the window of AIC, addressed to its president Miura Toru. Hey, he might even read it. One can't grow an oak tree without planting an acorn. I'll let you know what abuse I get. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4