• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Saga of Tanya the Evil Novel 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lambadelta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Side note: this means that the scene where Tanya gets dressed up for the photograph is anime-original.)

Incorrect. It's in Volume 2.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
As a war history buff, this novel was a delight. Every description of the Empires battle tactics was interesting. Tanya as a protagonist is also a breath of fresh air from many other light novel series. And i also agree. The series is so dense, its hard to actually consider it a "light" novel. Also like posted above, the Dress up scene is a side story featured in Volume 2. If you look at the Volume 2 page on the series wiki, you'll see Tanya dressed up and embaressed in the color page.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Lambadelta wrote:
Quote:
(Side note: this means that the scene where Tanya gets dressed up for the photograph is anime-original.)

Incorrect. It's in Volume 2.

Correct Volume 2...

Like to point out the the story is first set in an alternative 1924-27,where many "what if" events have occurred.Tanya's world' first world war is an combination of our WWI & WWII.(sans Nazis)

And keep in mind the light novel came out well before the anime.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
And keep in mind the light novel came out well before the anime.

And? The review opens by stating that the novel came first, so I don't see why you felt a need to throw this comment out. I don't know that a little over 3 years counts as "well before," either, unless you're referring to the webnovel. A three year gap between the beginning of a light novel series' release and its anime adaptation is fairly typical these days.

Since the bit about the picture has been confirmed, I'll see about getting that changed in the review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crext

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Are we getting a season 2, anyone knows?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I might get it if it is available digitally.

No second season yet, perhaps after the movie has finished playing. One can hope.
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Really loved the anime and was looking forward to reading this one. Unfortunately, it did end up proving to be a bit too exposition heavy for me. That being said, I did really like the art and the idea of the narration jumping between 1st person and 3rd person in reference to Tanya/MC was a very interesting choice. If it had just dialed back that exposition a little bit, I think I'd really enjoy it. I still might give it another try later on though.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I might get it if it is available digitally.

No second season yet, perhaps after the movie has finished playing. One can hope.

It's available for kindle and well worth the read. I can't wait for them to localize the manga because that art style is beautiful. I can't pass judgement on the book yet as I'm only on chapter but so far it's been a really fun ride.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Saga of Tanya the Evil started off as a webnovel on the Japanese site Arcadia before being acquired and published by Enterbrain.

Huh. The Japanese webnovel world seems to be dominated by Shousetsuka ni Narou these days. Apparently GATE comes from Arcadia too; any other webnovels we Anglosphere fans would've heard of? The Japanese Wikipedia's articles for both series have links to an Arcadia article, but both links are dead; there doesn't seem to be an actual page.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:49 am Reply with quote
Coolness, I've been waiting for this review. I am in complete agreement with the reviewer. Although the denseness of it made it a bit of a slog for me it was a worthwhile slog. I'm looking forward to more information from the post-war characters and how the plans of Being X and the other gods(probably the most interesting change from novel to anime) progress.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:23 am Reply with quote
I’m kind of interested to know who the translator was for this. Having to translate a ton of alt-history magic and military jargon, keep it all consistent, and have it make sense is very challenging. Sounds like they pulled it off.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:27 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I’m kind of interested to know who the translator was for this. Having to translate a ton of alt-history magic and military jargon, keep it all consistent, and have it make sense is very challenging. Sounds like they pulled it off.

It's listed with two translators, Kevin Steinbach and Emily Balistrieri.

Kevin is the translator for Goblin Slayer, Konosuba, and he did our (J-Novel Club's) Bluesteel Blasphemer and is working on Outbreak Company now.
He's excellent.

Emily hasn't done any work for J-Novel Club but she's Yen's translator for Overlord and I've worked with her years ago on the subtitle translation for The Eccentric Family. What's really cool about her is that her "main job" is working at Kodansha in their international children's book department (she lives in Japan). I get the impression she was the primary translator for Tanya though it's hard to say.

Both of them are top-tier in the industry IMO, and my opinion actually kinda matters in this situation Wink.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the anime was somewhat underrated with the average viewer just noting a man inside a crazy Nazi loli. I dabbled in research in college and I loved how in went into social, economic, and military theory and was sorta in depth in the anime making a more detailed and original story than most other isekai anime. The anime was entertaining and had surprisingly very good animation, but the character designs and exaggerated facial expressions, could have been more toned down for an average viewer, I for one didn't mind it.
Cloudywind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Both of them are top-tier in the industry IMO, and my opinion actually kinda matters in this situation Wink.

Two top tier translators, neither of whom managed to properly translate the direct references to Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann's "Today you people are no longer maggots" speech, or Sir Ernest Shackleton's "Men Wanted" notice? In a novel as detail-heavy and IRL-reference-laden as Tanya these kinds of things matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2