• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Place Further Than the Universe (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 am Reply with quote

(A) Place Further Than the Universe (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama
Themes: antarctica, high school

Plot Summary: Mari Tamaki is in her second year of high school and wants to start something. It's then that she meets Shirase, a girl with few friends who's considered weirdo by the rest of the class and nicknamed "Arctic" since it's all she ever talks about. Unlike her peers, Mari is moved by Shirase's dedication and decides that even though it's unlikely that high school girls will ever go to Antarctica, she's going to try to go with Shirase.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Good episode, it definitely sets up for the main journey to Antarctica and I feel like it's going to be about more than just a journey.

The two main characters, Kobuchizawa and Mari, has some neat character chemistry. I really like how Mari came to get to help out Kobuchizawa when she was being made fun of. Feels like they can become good friends. Regarding Kobuchizawa, I want to learn about her more.

The music and animation are solid so far. I like the smoothness of the OST as it feels alive and adds a bit of energy to the show.

Last edited by Stark700 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
When I saw just some character designs, I think that I was not too excited, such soft character designs usually means it wants to be very grounded, and narratively expect nothing of real ambition will happen, kind of like with Tsuki ga Kirei. But with some charming characterisation of our heroine, and the ambitious goal in the series to reach Antartica, I think it turned around and I am in.. Highlighted by all the other strong choices in the episode, I think it actually is looking good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 am Reply with quote
I was very impressed with the first eppie. Really set up the characters, humour and premise in an engaging manner. I'm really trying this year to only complete shows that I rate Good or higher and this one is looking like a real contender.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Second episode was good. I like how the show isn't side stepping the issue about how difficult it's going to be for the girls to even get on the expedition. I figured they would have issues so it was kind of sad watching how confident Shirase was about her master plan. I'm surprised that Hinata didn't get on my nerves, but she grew on me during the episode. The spoiler[chase through was kind of comical.I wasn't expecting Hinata to be able to run so fast.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well this episode proved that the first eppie was no fluke - this is legitimately a damn fine show. I got a chuckle out of the "high school girls who just have to talk to boys and go on walks with them" job. I wonder who that girl on the train at the end of the episode is?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
Shirase'ds idea was pretty terrible. The idea she had such confidence in was using one of the other two girls to seduce one of the men to smuggle them on board. Indeed time to switch over leader to someone who can think more realistically.

As it stands, with supposed funding problems, I wonder if they got 3 (4) teenage girls who are willing to take it seriously, they could go a ways of selling the story of their exhibition to get sponsors. Not in a plan to use them sort of way, but they could earn their way.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I totally loved these first two episodes. Laughed out loud in the second one. Main girl is relatable with her fear of failing. The characters are already multifaceted in just over 40 minutes of screentime. This show might become my favorite this season, though it has serious competition.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Main girl is relatable with her fear of failing. The characters are already multifaceted in just over 40 minutes of screentime.

You know, I could never quite explain why I ended up enjoying this more than I thought I would, but you hit the nail on the head here.
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know the name of the song that was used just before the end credits of episode 3 of this (not the song over the end credits).
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
^It's Haruka Tooku (ハルカトオク; "Far Away in the Distance") by saya (the singer who also sings the OP). Apparently it's also been used in episode 1.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I love the banter between Hinata, Mari, and Shirase. They're goof balls and I love the show for that. Shirase yelling in victory and geeking out only to stub her toe was hilarious because I wasn't expecting it.

Yuzuki's back story made me dislike her mother. I guess the mom feels guilty if the scene after the credits is anything to go by.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
As a person who liked Love Live for everything but the idol stuff (which I can barely watch without gouging my eyes out), this show is perfect for me. The exaggerated reactions of the characters as they play off each other is great, their enthusiasm for a goal is infectious, and none of them have to pause for a song and dance number (yet. Though I guess the new girl does have that in her life).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I'm pretty good about picking up on when something is going to turn out to be a dream scene, but they got me on this one. Agree with the comments above... the interaction of the girls and their expressive faces really make this for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:17 am Reply with quote
I am liking Shirase's character more and more for her goofy side coming out, like the not being too ambitious with ideas, that she lacks the social prowess to even attempt her ideas in her head, and that excitement she has about her dream coming true. Along with liking the other two for calling Shirase out on her troubling side, they were saying they were beginning to figure out how she works and getting a bit annoyed at it. And then we have the fourth member who was starting out on the being totally a celebrity thing, the others trying to get a picture with her, before finding that it is the sort of shallow side she hates. Yet she joins the group after seeing that they wouldn't just care because of celebrity status, and they can have this sort of quirky side that they are willing to fight and stuff despite only really just starting to be familiar with each other.

So far I am really enjoying the show, it has got some character chemistry down.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Man, this series just continues to make me enjoy it more and more with each passing episode. Shirase’s plans for telling her classmates that she went to Antarctica after coming back just had me rooting for her even more. The four girls’ chemistry together is quite entertaining and full of heart. Yuzuki’s “Shut talking now” had me laughing a little more than it probably should have. Tamaki’s speech at the end also cemented this show as one of my favorite anime of the season and I’m very much looking forward to watching more. Studio Madhouse has a good one here. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3