• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Winter 2018 Anime Roundup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
It feels to me as though, rather than anything that's destined to be a "timeless classic", this season offers a bunch of shows that fulfill a wide range of "I'm usually in the mood to watch one show like ____ every season" categories. For instance, Yuru Camp is my Kiniro Mosaic this season, while Katana Maidens is filling in for Wixoss, even though I'm not really expecting either of them to be better than the shows they pleasantly remind me of.

I've heard people call these kind of shows "database anime" before, in that they each are designed to check off boxes on a list of common otaku genre preferences, but for some reason that's never really felt like an adequate description to me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for doing this round up of Winter 2018. I am finding it a solid season with varied things to watch. Violet Evergarden is looking great, and After the Rain and Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card should be good throughout its run. I am also liking what I have watched from A Place Further Than the Universe, DARLING in the FRANKXX, Citrus, Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens and Laid-Back Camp.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
My go to for rewatches is Aria.
Laid Back Camp is a show that makes me wonder how someone jumped into my skull and produced the perfect anime for me. It hits all the Aria buttons for me.
Place Further than the Universe actually seems to have a plot, but make no mistake, I like it.
A very relaxing and enjoyable season so me.

Also liked the disclaimer over the Heat Guy J opening song to start.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It feels to me as though, rather than anything that's destined to be a "timeless classic", this season offers a bunch of shows that fulfill a wide range of "I'm usually in the mood to watch one show like ____ every season" categories. For instance, Yuru Camp is my Kiniro Mosaic this season, while [b]Katana Maidens is filling in for Wixoss, even though I'm not really expecting either of them to be better than the shows they pleasantly remind me of. [/b]

I'm rather interested in starting Katana Maidens if someone is making a comparison to Wixoss.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm rather interested in starting Katana Maidens if someone is making a comparison to Wixoss.

Although I haven't found its production quality or writing quality to be anywhere near as polished, it definitely puts me in mind of the oft-repeated anecdote about Mari Okada being told to write two coeurs of story without being provided with anything more than the most cursory explanation of the rules for playing the real-world Wixoss card game. Much like Wixoss, Katana Maidens feels far more concerned with adopting the tone of an older, well-known anime series and applying it to the franchise (in Katana Maidens' case, that series appears to be Sakura Wars) than it is with accurately representing the product itself.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how anyone can watch A Place Further than the Universe and come away thinking it's a "cute girls doing cute things iyashikei." I can get that kind of description for something like Yuru Camp, but using that for what is essentially a character drama seems a little too dismissive IMO.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Heat Guy J is Never gonna get old, is it? Laughing
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
1. I'm not sure Jacob knows what "galvanized" means... I guess he's trying to reference the original printing-process meaning of cliché / stereotype, but none of those methods used zinc coatings; galvanization is for rustproofing, and it isn't very pretty.

2. Considering the low-key but steady trickle of fanservice and BL tease, I kind of doubt many dudes are watching Sanrio Boys. Unless they like shirtless boys and subtext. Very Happy

3. The After the Rain manga runs in a magazine aimed at men in their early 20's; it's the kind of seinen magazine that runs cheesecake photo spreads of fledgling idols in bikinis in between the comics. Considering the source, I was suprised that the story handles its topic with as much grace as it does.... Although they're also running Akiko Higashimura's Snowflake Tiger, so someone over there has taste.

4. After Devilman crybaby, anime of the season is Adorable Mummy is Adorable. Calling it now. Runner-up prize is at the moment earmarked for Hot Crossdresser Seeks Revenge On The Baddies Who Killed His Sister, Also There Is Not As Much Ramen As I Was Led To Believe.
Niello

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
After Devilman crybaby, anime of the season is Adorable Mummy is Adorable. Calling it now..

Didn't expect to find someone who also hold my unpopular opinion.
moogrin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Thanks especially for the discussion of Darling in the FranXX (or whatever) for clarifying definitely that I should not watch it, haha.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
moogrin wrote:
Thanks especially for the discussion of Darling in the FranXX (or whatever) for clarifying definitely that I should not watch it, haha.

If you are a fan of mecha and/or sci-fi you might want to give it a shot. While it is true that Darling is influenced by Evangelion, I think the dismissive tone towards this show as just another Eva clone is disrespectful and close minded. In my opinion no anime is going to ever surpass or even match Evangelion in the mecha-sci-fi genre, but I still want to watch other similar shows, especially if they look as polished as DARLING in the FRANKXX.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Is it me but this podcast is giving me trouble right and left.

It takes forever to load but the thing that keeps giving me the most trouble is that I can't skip to a specific time index at all when I try it starts at the begining all over again. Also does it when I pause it and try to resume.

I was listening to it at work on my break and when I'm at home and try to pick up where I left off it won't let me.

Tried on the main page, then the direct MP3 which I even tried to save and it won't download.

Maybe I'll just have to let it run it's course in the background on mute then resume when it hits where I left off.

Last edited by Dfens on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I came to report I was also having issues with the on-site player. The time shows as NaN:NaN:NaN and won't let me skip ahead at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Apologies for the issues people are having - I can't replicate them myself, though iTunes did take a second longer to connect to the episode than seemed normal.

I'll ask Dan to take a look - thanks!
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Apologies for the issues people are having - I can't replicate them myself, though iTunes did take a second longer to connect to the episode than seemed normal.

I'll ask Dan to take a look - thanks!

It appears the issue's been fixed, as the on-site player's now working properly for me. Thanks, Zac!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2