• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shigeru Miyamoto Discusses Illumination's Super Mario Bros. Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope they finally get this movie done, and what we see is about as timeless as some of the Disney classics people still love today.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I really doubt it will be as good as a Disney movie but hopefully it will just be fun and entertaining for kids. I feel a bit more confident in the movie with Miyamoto involved so heavily and Sing is generally considered to be one of Illumination's better movies.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I have faith in Mr. Miyamoto.
I think it could good, I think it could be decent.
I think it could be amazing, but that's because I'm partial to the Mario franchise, admittedly.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I really doubt it will be as good as a Disney movie but hopefully it will just be fun and entertaining for kids. I feel a bit more confident in the movie with Miyamoto involved so heavily and Sing is generally considered to be one of Illumination's better movies.

Well... you get the idea. Miyamoto is basically the Walt Disney of his field, and almost any product he does is pure genius. Illumination's stuff is usually kiddy fodder (*cough* Minions *cough*) But as long as Nintendo has creative control, I'm all for it.

That reminds me... I wonder if OLM will have Mario cross over with the anime adaptations of Yo-kai Watch or Pokémon to promote the film in Japan. It would be interesting to say the least.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo will be hovering like a hawk over this production. They never want to see what happened the last time a Mario movie was made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Nintendo will be hovering like a hawk over this production. They never want to see what happened the last time a Mario movie was made.

Well they're going to be doing that even without the first movie in thought, because they really haven't done a movie since Street Fighter in the 90s.

Besides, the problem with the first movie is that it was Live-Action in a world that looked nothing like the game. While this is obviously going to be an Animated film. So if there is a problem, it's very likely will be with the script. Question is, what will that script lead to that will interest fans? An origin story? Or something new and unexpected?
CR85747

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Wandering Samurai wrote:

Well they're going to be doing that even without the first movie in thought, because they really haven't done a movie since Street Fighter in the 90s.

That was Capcom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1