• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Feb 5-11 [2018-02-15]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Of course, Slow Start, the best of the season, is nowhere to be found...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:

Yes, because shows that were not picked up for daily streaming reviews are not included in these rankings.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:

Not only is Slow Start not even remotely close to being the best show of the season, it's not even the best CGDCT show of the season. However, I acknowledge the veracity of your claim in your individual world.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
it's a shame Osomatsus 18th episode didn't get top ranking, it was really good. I've even chose this scene, thanks Anne Lauenroth, as my new wallpaper.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
it's a shame Clear Card's 6th episode didn't get top ranking
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Pop Team Epic really sunk this week. The universal consensus seemed to be that an episode so high in obscure references either didn't translate well or just wasn't that funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
While 17 was a great episode, I was pleasantly surprised to see Garo at second in the weeklies. Then again episode 8 did get third in the weeklies last season.

Looks like episode 4 of Violet Evergarden was just a fluke, with it snapping back to its original rank in the weeklies, and if the rating for the most recent episode holds, it looks to stay that way. Haven't seen it yet, but that is definitely a positive.

Nice to see Grancrest and Maerchen Maedchen moving up. They may not be the best shows but they have had some decent episodes recently.

On Slow Start, it isn't the best either, but I will say that it does have its good points. It's just filled with character animation to the point that it really stands out among its CGDCT peers, even if it doesn't stand above them.
NicoleNippah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:

Yes, because shows that were not picked up for daily streaming reviews are not included in these rankings.

Like Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, which is sad because its a great and funny show, not enough people gave it a chance after its first episode for the daily streaming reviews D:
Crext

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, I kinda agree overall with the current changes between the rankings.

However, and I might sound like a broken records in regard to that I also said this last time, but shows that are well into their 4th season really should not be in the ranking on the same level as fresh entries, because "everyone" doesn't watch them and compare them.

For instance I really tried to give Gintama a second shot and watched 5 of the newest episodes, and I'd say subjectively that it doesn't even come close to being "the top dog" of the season for sure, but it shouldn't even be that objectively speaking either. The show hits a demographic, and whoever still watches this after 300 episodes are clearly a fan.

I'd assume the same will happen to any show that's on the 4th season or so. For example, if food wars season 4 comes around I'd probably give it 5 stars every week because it is just up my alley. And since everyone who doesn't particularly like the show and setup no longer watches it, then people like me gets overrepresented. Gintama, DBZ and even March comes in like a Lion (though I'd be more careful to comment about this one, as I have not watched it and know nothing about it) has "gone past the trial of comparing it to others".

When it comes to One Piece and Naruto, then I suspect people down-vote Naruto out of spite without really watching it (as that seems to be a popular thing to do, just as I suspect might happen with next season of SAO because that is also a popular show to trash for some reason, even if it got a big following that adores it). The real exception is perhaps One Piece as it is an easier show to "jump into", kinda like Family Guy or The Simpsons, thus still get a decent overall viewing.

Well, just a quick rant on it. Got nothing against Gintama in particular, I just dislike to see it (or any show like it) being steadily the nr. 1 ranked show on the Cumulative Ranking which in my view is highly undeserved.

Last edited by Crext on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
StarFan13 wrote:
it's a shame Clear Card's 6th episode didn't get top ranking

The episode which doesn't feature anything special outside of the fact that the card was captured with literally 0 effort from Sakura? Why would that get top rank?

Or is it sarcasm, it's really hard to tell on the internet sometime.

I watched ep 1 of slow and start and it was... utterly average. It's only distinguishing features was that the main character was 1 year older than everyone else which... I fail to see how that' special (that's the kind of detail I'd figure would feature in the character bio on the website as a minor point at the bottom). Maybe I'd be following it in another season, but considering half the show this season are CGDCT (and quite good one at that) it's hard to justify one more.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm just participating in this rating thing since the last 2-3 weeks. I wonder how many people actually participate. And for each show.
Djidji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I watched ep 1 of slow and start and it was... utterly average. It's only distinguishing features was that the main character was 1 year older than everyone else which... I fail to see how that' special (that's the kind of detail I'd figure would feature in the character bio on the website as a minor point at the bottom).

Most likely some excellent character animation.
Mealstrom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:09 am Reply with quote
How tf did Franxx drop a spot after what was easily it's best episode so far.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:01 am Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
March comes in like a Lion (though I'd be more careful to comment about this one, as I have not watched it and know nothing about it) has "gone past the trial of comparing it to others".

While I agree with your general point, Lion is one of the unusual shows that gets better in their second season.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
Djidji wrote:
meiam wrote:
I watched ep 1 of slow and start and it was... utterly average. It's only distinguishing features was that the main character was 1 year older than everyone else which..

Most likely some excellent character animation.

This perhaps might help you understand why: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2