• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Banana Fish Anime Reveals Cast, More Staff, 1st Promo Video, Modern-Day Setting

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
take place in modern day New York, instead of in the 1980s
Darn. So I guess Ash's brother being a Vietnam veteran won't be included. Oh well this looks f**king gorgeous.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:55 am Reply with quote
Ash Lynx - a.k.a Grown-up Yuri Plisetsky!!

In all seriousness though, this does look pretty neat.
wohdin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
I'm a simple man. I see Hiroaki Hirata, I watch.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote
NOW we're talking. Hell yeah, MAPPA showing the rest how it's done. This looks ridiculously awesome. And 2 cours to boot Very Happy
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:21 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy with the way they modernised the look while keeping the design true to the manga. It doesn't always turn out this great.

"The anime will be two cours (two quarters of a year) in length, with 24 episodes, and will adapt the entire manga to the end, changing only the setting to the modern day."

That is great. It wont be too rushed, and we're promised the entire story.
Too bad about the setting, but I'll live with it. Guess they didn't want it to be too retro. I was wary of the modern setting of Devilman, too, and that turned out just fine.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Quote:
Darn. So I guess Ash's brother being a Vietnam veteran won't be included. Oh well this looks f**king gorgeous.

They will probably just make him a veteran of a more recent war.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:09 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, but it looks like this will be a promising adaptation. I'll definitely be looking into this when it comes out.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I have my concerns, two, mainly:
1) modern setting-I feel like the 80s was actually a big part of it, unless Ash loses his cell phone a lot or something. I always felt like the fact that they weren't constantly on the grid was quite important to making the manga work
2) 24 episodes total? There's about 18 volumes of content to cover with that, I hope it doesn't get too rushed...the manga's action scenes are quite fast, but it also really needs those slow scenes too.

I'll warm up to the character designs, some consistency with Ash's design and hair will be much welcome. Guess I'm so used to the old designs at this point (I have read the manga multiple times, it is my very favorite)

Amazon Prime Video though... eww... I was willing to sub for a whole year to Crunchyroll if they got it, but not Amazon Prime, yuck. Someone superior better get a home release (without being too pricey, so not Aniplex), because I will be wanting the super special edition.

Above all though, I hope it leads to Viz doing a re-release of the manga! Hopefully the 11 volume version + some of the side stories in an extra volume that never got released before (I don't care if they call it vol 12 or something either). Because oh yes, I WILL double-dip. And maybe they could tweak a bit of the translation, some of the early volumes had the "we shall not curse!" syndrome, so really, it'd just be tweaking that (the overall tone of the translation in general was excellent). I wonder how demand for a manga this old will rise in response to a new anime, I feel like it happens so rarely with this big a time gap. The last one was probably Parasyte, but it had gotten a Del Rey and Kodansha re-print before the anime while this has been firmly oop for years now.

Can't wait to bawl my eyes out!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Quote:

They will probably just make him a veteran of a more recent war.

US certainly hasn't had a shortage in the last 30 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
It looks nice, odd that they are setting it in the present day. ANyone else think Eiji Okumura looks a bit like Akira from Devilman?
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
I think this is the first time Noitamina airing 24 episodes anime since Psycho Pass.
Beltane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
I think this is the first time Noitamina airing 24 episodes anime since Psycho Pass.

The most recent one would be Your Lie in April, but that one (and Psycho-Pass also) only runs for 22 episodes, which is close enough.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:

KimiUso had 22 episodes, though. But yes, it's their first 2-cour show in ~4 years. Which also means that the announced Kabaneri project will most likely not be a TV show, unless Fuji decides to expand the noitaminA timeslot to a full hour again.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:

KimiUso had 22 episodes, though. But yes, it's their first 2-cour show in ~4 years. Which also means that the announced Kabaneri project will most likely not be a TV show, unless Fuji decides to expand the noitaminA timeslot to a full hour again.
Or it could just come out in 2019 now.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Hmm, I have my concerns, two, mainly:
1) modern setting-I feel like the 80s was actually a big part of it, unless Ash loses his cell phone a lot or something. I always felt like the fact that they weren't constantly on the grid was quite important to making the manga work
2) 24 episodes total? There's about 18 volumes of content to cover with that, I hope it doesn't get too rushed...the manga's action scenes are quite fast, but it also really needs those slow scenes too.

I'll warm up to the character designs, some consistency with Ash's design and hair will be much welcome. Guess I'm so used to the old designs at this point (I have read the manga multiple times, it is my very favorite)

Amazon Prime Video though... eww... I was willing to sub for a whole year to Crunchyroll if they got it, but not Amazon Prime, yuck. Someone superior better get a home release (without being too pricey, so not Aniplex), because I will be wanting the super special edition.

Above all though, I hope it leads to Viz doing a re-release of the manga! Hopefully the 11 volume version + some of the side stories in an extra volume that never got released before (I don't care if they call it vol 12 or something either). Because oh yes, I WILL double-dip. And maybe they could tweak a bit of the translation, some of the early volumes had the "we shall not curse!" syndrome, so really, it'd just be tweaking that (the overall tone of the translation in general was excellent). I wonder how demand for a manga this old will rise in response to a new anime, I feel like it happens so rarely with this big a time gap. The last one was probably Parasyte, but it had gotten a Del Rey and Kodansha re-print before the anime while this has been firmly oop for years now.

Can't wait to bawl my eyes out!
Why would you think this had a chance of being on Crunchyroll? All noitaminA shows since Kabaneri have been exclusive to Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2