• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clockwork Planet Novel 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
I found the setting of this series to be interesting enough to keep reading, even if some of the characters could be off-putting at times. To be honest, while the reviewer was annoyed by RyuZu, i was much more annoyed by Naoto (yet another "mildly perverted otaku") and Marie (there's a fine line between tsundere and "psychopath who beats her subordinates bloody", and she crosses it a few times). I'm thinking this is just a product of the author who, like in NGNL, can have some really interesting story ideas that he fills with aggravating characters.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
I should probably check this out.. The Manga from what I have read so far caught my attention.. the anime.. was bad. Shame actually as I had high hopes for the anime adaptation.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I should probably check this out.. The Manga from what I have read so far caught my attention.. the anime.. was bad. Shame actually as I had high hopes for the anime adaptation.

YEah, how much actually good is the source material? Please tell me and others, and not in the typical shallow "the anime deviated from the source material" way that doesn´t explain anything.

I tell you this because there was a time when I was told that the Black Cat anime was bad and its source manga was good. When I read those 20 volumes however, I felt like I lost a lot oftime reading a piece of trash meshing Cowboy Bebop and Hunter X Hunter without the things that made both properties work. So please tell me and others which diferences there are between anime and source material that might convinces us it´s supposedly good.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually preferred the Black Cat manga to the anime, but that could be a case of which I experienced first.

In the case of Clockwork Planet, I feel the novel is better because it spends more time on the world and developing the characters, and although it has some annoying tropey aspects, they aren't played up to the extent that the anime did. On the whole it simply feels more original and like there's a clear vision for the story.

@Merxamers

Honestly? I may have found RyuZU more annoying than Naoto because I also have good hearing (not like his!) and I love the quiet. I can't imagine never having silence, so I guess I felt badly for him. Smile
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

Honestly? I may have found RyuZU more annoying than Naoto because I also have good hearing (not like his!) and I love the quiet. I can't imagine never having silence, so I guess I felt badly for him. Smile

Hah! I getcha; unfortunately, my metal music-tainted ears are no longer that sensitive Anime hyper
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

YEah, how much actually good is the source material? Please tell me and others, and not in the typical shallow "the anime deviated from the source material" way that doesn´t explain anything.

I didn't deviate from the source material it just didn't improve on it and presented it blandly. You don't even have to read the LN, if you want to experience it fully with good visuals then read the manga. This is the same case as the danmachi spinoff, although that one did change some things from it's source so it's even worst.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I only watched the first episode, and found it very bland. Felt more like a parody. If the anime was an accurate representation of what the characters and dialog are like... no thanks.

Anyway, what did the DanMachi anime change that was so bad?
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
I've read 1.5 of the novels and I'd also say the story has some promise. What kept me reading was the setting was interesting and the prologue with them hacking the planet was neat. On the down side though the characters are pretty much all annoying to me. On the plus side of the characters though they are a bit unique. Naota kinda goes from being super wimpy kid to getting pissed off and standing up for himself. Marie is very tsundere but admits Naota's skills every once in awhile and gets knocked down a peg or two when RyuZu steps in. The dynamic of 2 tsundere type characters going at each other entertained me.

Another downside which is something I see in a lot of light novels that I wish could just stop is there is a ton of "witty dialog" that isn't really witty and doesn't move the story at all. There will just be banter back and forth about someone being stupid and the same Japanese catch phrases that don't really mean anything but are repeated a lot. It's not just that the story doesn't move and it doesn't add anything but it's the same boring dialog that's in 90% of the LNs I try to read. That's what really turned me off from the series and will probably keep me from reading more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1