• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Dragon Quest XI

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Definitely have to grab The Alliance Alive, since I'm a SaGa fan. I did enjoy what I played of Legend of Legacy, but if this new game is that with some welcome additions & fixes, then count me in.

Quote:
Gotta say, I'm not super feeling that Lilith getup. Oh well.

Urien's Donovan outfit, on the other hand, actually looks pretty damn good.

Quote:
the original arcade Bad Dudes is available on Switch, so if you want to play a middling action game with some memetacular dialogue, you're in luck

On the other hand, if you want an actually awesome beat-em-up, then there's the ACA Neo Geo release of Sengoku 3 (on Switch, PS4, & Xbox One), one of the absolute greatest games in the genre. Seriously, I only first played it when it became the final game to be released on the Wii VC, but I instantly fell in love with Sengoku 3's tight gameplay, combo & juggling-heavy combat, and outstanding visuals & music. It's definitely up there with the greatest beat-em-ups of all time.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Had to buy a new phone to play SAO. Haven't gotten too far into it but I like the idea of your own protagonist (complete with your own waifu) and messing with the timeline. Not a huge fan of the artwork used for the special skills and stuff, though. Since all they do is give you certain stat boosts I'm not likely to be tempted to spend much money.

Still an avid Memory Defrag player, though. The two games are completely different anyways so there's no overlap.

Tales of Link just closed and Tales of the Rays is following suit so I'll just be down to FGO and the 2 SAO games. Guess I'll try the Danmachi one when it comes out. Any other anime mobile games out there (other than the shonen jump ones)?
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I have a Switch only and was waiting with hope for DQXI news but this has been a real downer for me. I am patient but do not have the patience of a saint. I will likely get a PS4 for it, was tempted anyway since there's a lot of JRPGs for it but this has swayed it even more for me. Will still get the Switch version down the line as well.

The 3DS no-show is the biggest downer for me, I think it is down to Nintendo, they published the last 2 DQ games on the 3DS and their financial help was likely a big factor. With it not being Nintendo exclusive they likely said nope. A shame as the 3DS version had the old school look on the second screen which looks so fab.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Quest XI: I bet the DQXI boards are fired up with this news. Hurray for more Dragon Quest being brought over!

Street Fighter V: I'd rather have Lilith in another crossover personally. She gets sidelined too much. She hasn't been in anything since Cross Edge, and only got mentioned in Project X Zone 2's ending.

Atelier Lydie & Suelle: Not only does Koei Tecmo suck at localization in general due to their lack of proper English knowledge, but this is the first localized Atelier that won't have a dub. Real intelligent move on KT's part; all this time the series has been dubbed since Iris and now they're cutting it out. On top of that, this is the last entry in the Mysterious series, so great way to give overseas fans the finger. Bad English translation, no dub, I want NISA back to localize the series. At least they were consistent.

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Daemons have taken over the planet, separated the lands from each other, and blocked out the sun!

Gee sounds an awful lot like DragonQuest VIII
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
September. Steam release.
As an older fan, I think I'm gonna start saving for Dragon Quest XI.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Definitely have to grab The Alliance Alive, since I'm a SaGa fan. I did enjoy what I played of Legend of Legacy, but if this new game is that with some welcome additions & fixes, then count me in.

I'm still waiting to play it, despite preordering it on Amazon, as the first two copies of it they sent me looked like someone sat down right on top of the launch edition boxes before sticking them in the mail. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1