• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Spring 2018, Apr 1-21

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I’m surprised Tokyo Ghoul:re is so low, even though it’s the third most popular show this season on MAL.
Steins;Gate 0 and Megalobox are my favorites this season so far, though I’m sure MHA will be up there as the season progresses.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
So cutie honey is at the bottom, surprised surprised. These rebbot/remake/sequel to older show really aren't doing too good.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So cutie honey is at the bottom, surprised surprised. These rebbot/remake/sequel to older show really aren't doing too good.

Clear Card's almost at the bottom double Unfair

Last edited by StarFan13 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I’m surprised Tokyo Ghoul:re is so low

Yeah, this was my first thought. I've been enjoying it well enough so far, but can't impress everybody I guess. Personally, I'd swap it's place with the new Sword Art Online...

But yeah...MEGALOBOX deserves to be where it is...at the top. Glad to see Wotakoi in the top 10 as well.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
This is the first time that a show I'm watching has been ranked at the bottom, usually it is occupied by the worst of the worst, that people only watch because it's so bad that it's good. I just hope it gets some better scores next week, it being bottom may send out the wrong message.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Megalobox, Lupin III part 5, and Full Metal Panic IV are all in the top 5, so I’d say some of them are doing well enough. LOGH is only middling, but frankly it is doing better than I was expecting going into the season.

————————————

MHA is starting lower than it did in the second season and hasn’t gotten as high after the filler first episode as the second season either. Given how some manga readers have characterized this arc, I expect that to change, but it is still an interesting comparison.

While Megalobox looks like the show to beat for the top spot this season, Steins;Gate and Hinamatsuri aren’t far behind.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I’m sure MHA will be up there as the season progresses.

zrnzle500 wrote:
MHA is starting lower than it did in the second season and hasn’t gotten as high after the filler first episode as the second season either. Given how some manga readers have characterized this arc, I expect that to change, but it is still an interesting comparison.

That filler episode really hurt it but it'll rise to the top in the coming weeks for sure.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I also think MHA is ranked low because of the recap-ish episode. Overall these initial rankings make sense.

meiam wrote:

Being a reboot/remake/sequel has nothing to do with it. CHU has been a weak show so far.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
BTW, something that people have been asking for a while:
animenewsnetwork.com/weekly-ranking/archive
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
BTW, something that people have been asking for a while:
animenewsnetwork.com/weekly-ranking/archive

Oh, that's neat. Thanks, Dan!
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
meiam wrote:

Megalobox, Lupin III part 5, and Full Metal Panic IV are all in the top 5, so I’d say some of them are doing well enough. LOGH is only middling, but frankly it is doing better than I was expecting going into the season.

I'll give you FMP, but megalobox, aside from being about box and having the MC called Joe is pretty much all new. Lupin never really went away, there's been project on and off every few years.

I was thinking more of sailor moon (cause I have the banner plastered everywhere atm).
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

>Megalo Box, Lupin the Third Part 5 and FMP are some of the highest ranked shows of the season, with LotGH not being too far behind
>Devilman praised as one of the best anime of the year since its release

*multiple thinking emojis*

Also: Lupin Part 5 is f*cking fantastic and if you aren't watching it you're missing out on one of the most entertaining and adrenaline-filled shows this season. Megalo Box and Hina are wonderful as well and also top picks but I mean everyone is already watching them. All three are conveniently the best looking shows too, in addition to Hisone and Masotan but we can't talk about that one and even less people are watching/talking about it because Netflix.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'll give you FMP, but megalobox, aside from being about box and having the MC called Joe is pretty much all new. Lupin never really went away, there's been project on and off every few years.

I was thinking more of sailor moon (cause I have the banner plastered everywhere atm).

Megalobox is more the spiritual successor to Ashita no Joe, but it was originally meant to be a sequel/spinoff/etc. of the original. The director couldn’t figure out how to make that work and instead went with something new in the spirit of the original.

As for Lupin, while it has regularly come back every few years since Fujiko Mine aired in 2012, Part 3 finished airing in 1985, nearly 30 years prior. If anything, Lupin is probably the most successful TV anime sequels to an older series.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Caligula is so low. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I find it much more entertaining than the Persona 5 anime at least.
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Had to laugh when I saw the huge drop for Franxx episode 14. I haven't seen the show myself, but the way everyone reacted to that episode was hilarious, in a sad sort of way.

Otherwise, really happy to see FMP!IV and Hinamatsuri near the top.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2