• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Imageepoch's CEO returning to the public eye after his sudden disappearance in 2015 is quite astonishing news. It's good to hear he's doing better now, but he certainly was going through some difficult times (and to think Imageepoch's troubles were felt much earlier in 2013). I hope Mikage finds a lot of great success in the mobile gaming market.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Go is considered a fad because it's number crashed and never recovered despite substantial update (adding new pokemon from new region). If you compare Pokemon red/blue to gold/silver, the number of sales increased substantially between the two, whereas Go never got back to those initial numbers. This is despite the fact that Go is free (compared to gold/silver which were brand new game costing 40$).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Go is considered a fad because it's number crashed and never recovered despite substantial update (adding new pokemon from new region). If you compare Pokemon red/blue to gold/silver, the number of sales increased substantially between the two, whereas Go never got back to those initial numbers. This is despite the fact that Go is free (compared to gold/silver which were brand new game costing 40$).

That would make a LOT of things fads that aren't largely considered as such. Doctor Who would be a fad, Harry Potter would be a fad, The Simpsons would be a fad, and anime in the west itself would be a fad. Pokémon itself would be a fad too considering its sales went down with Ruby and Sapphire and has never reached the Generation I levels since. Very few things can have sustained strong public attention, let alone growing public attention with each new thing released. However, there are far more things that leave behind a smaller but more dedicated group of fans, as well as enough public attention to remain profitable, which is what these franchises are like.

A lot of people grew bored of Pokémon GO, but far from everybody. There are still enough people playing this game for Niantic to sustain itself. It's not like Angry Birds where Rovio had to lay off most of their staff because the franchise could no longer sustain the company at that size.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...as well as an all-new creature that it's probably safe to assume is a legendary Pokemon.

No, you shouldn't assume. There is absolutely no evidence for this. Journalists don't assume, they state the facts. This is how fake news starts, with false assumptions and rumors.
Calico

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee certainly are... something. I like how pokemon follow you around (a feature from SoulSilver/HeartGold that I've sorely missed) and showing wild pokemon on the field could be really cool. The dress-up feature with Pikachu and Eevee also looks cute. However, the removal of battles with wild pokemon and the implementation of Pokemon Go's combat system and combat points is a really heavy mark against it.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
Hurt that its only the first 151 pokemon. Not even using the evolutions of Kanto pokemon for this. Just really souring for me and will wait for the other game, In the next game of this Let's Go series, I hope they rethink this.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
Given the current story line, you'd think the last person Kenny Omega would want to emulate is Cody Cool
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Pokémon games always sell millions of copies, and I think with the Pokémon GO aspect of Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go Eevee!, this will sell even more than that. Count on it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
With all due respects, no. Time and Eternity was an average rpg, not a terrible one. In this day and age there is an incessant need to knock everything down due to originality and cliche. An average game isnt bad just because its been done before, and a great game is not good, just because it reuses a concept. Something terrible, is a game that has some really glaring problem, like broken gameplay, a good example would be something like lunar dragon song or "shudder" Unlimited Saga on the ps2.

On top of that even if average, it actually had some unique ideas, like the blending of 2d and 3d that the game tried to pull off, and honestly it doesn't even look that bad. Jrpgs tend to focus a lot of old retro graphics because that appeals to that fanbase, but on the other spectrum you have the cg of modern final fantasy games. T and E kind of tries to blend those two together.

And yes Pokemon Go is a fad. Even if its still profitable, the game was literally moving Nintendo's market position by billions within a few weeks of release. The player base in those first few weeks was pretty much anyone with a phone. The current player base is probably decent, but on a shell of those peak numbers, most of which started dipping less than a month or two after release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1