• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sachiiro One Room Drama Cancelled Following Suspicion Manga is Based on Real Kidnapping

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Stockholm syndrome? I don't see a problem with a story about that. Just add a disclaimer about how kidnapping is wrong and how it isn't based off a real incident
Robiiii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Nice one guys, I’m looking forward to when literally everything will be canceled one day.
Skydrop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
damn hopefully manga doesn't get cancelled because I wish to know more :?
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
See? 1 more case of idiocy like the one with the author of 'Nidome no Jinsei wo Isekai de'... Man where are we heading to? I guess authors will only be able to write religious shit*y from now on...
青白

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Japan, please.......
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Japanese TV has quite a long tradition of pulling things that were deemed too close to real world events.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
While the story description is kind of eyebrow raising for a prime time show I do find it strange that a broadcaster would wait until a few weeks before it starts broadcasting to decide that it is too similar to an incident from 2016. That another broadcaster is still going to air the show makes it sound like some people protested the show and TV Asahi got cold feet.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, the station that is going to continue airing it helped produce it, so they've already invested money into the program. There options were to either cut their losses (I'm presuming some if not all the episodes were already filmed so staff and cast were already paid, advertisers found, etc) if they think the accusation is credible or move forward in hopes to recoup their investment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
everything happens so fast these days
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This has been going on forever. Like how School Days was censored due to there being a similar knife slashing incident around the same time. Japan always does this.
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
What are you talking about?

Canceling programs because it is controversial is the most common thing that exists, this was never something exclusive from Japan, recently the Americans did it with a series where students would make jokes while holding guns.

And the series was not really canceled, it will still be broadcast on ABC channel, but not on all channels, anyone who watched anime knows that sometimes some animes are censored or have the broadcast canceled on some channels such as Masou Gakuen that was canceled of Hokkaido TV.

Seriously, young people these days just read the titles and not the article.

I do not understand this prejudice that the Japanese people always suffer, as everything that happens there is unique there.
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
What are you talking about?

Canceling programs because it is controversial is the most common thing that exists, this was never something exclusive from Japan, recently the Americans did it with a series where students would make jokes while holding guns.

And the series was not really canceled, it will still be broadcast on ABC channel, but not on all channels, anyone who watched anime knows that sometimes some animes are censored or have the broadcast canceled on some channels such as Masou Gakuen that was canceled of Hokkaido TV.

Agreed. There are similar occurrences that happened with two Batman series that I can recall (Beyond and one of the recent ones). Not only that, original content changed based on recent events is common as well. It's unfortunate for both the creators, related staff, and the victims but being insensitive to reality in real time would be a very bad PR move.

Did you see the 9/11 references or drama come directly after? No. The anime about the major earthquakes and tragedies that followed in Japan? No. And just because something is cancelled now doesn't mean, with time, they won't come back. I would definitely be surprised if they did make a come back later as time went on but it's not unheard of elsewhere in the world to delay showings and debuts because the public is sensitive to that subject or topic at the time.

Changeman wrote:
Seriously, [some] people [every day] just read the titles and not the article.

Fixed. Age may be a common factor but it's definitely not a constant. "Some" people these days just can't get over the fact that each generation is different.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah it's unfortunately extremely common for people to always point the finger at Japan here on ANN, and in other general anime communities. As people have said this is the entertainment industry pretty much no matter where you live. I'd say one of the greatest examples of this is Hannibal. This series that was known for extreme gore and graphic content never aired an episode on TV, why? Because they felt the contents of the episode were inappropriate in relation to the Boston Marathon Bombing at the time. A show that for example had a man stitched by his flesh to other corpses, he manages to break free by graphically ripping himself away along with various amounts of his own flesh, this series where disturbing and vivid imagery of this level was allowed basically every episode. This is a series that again had an episode pulled from TV only because of IRL events.

This has always been a thing and will likely always be a thing no matter where you live. So I really hope people here stop acting like doomsayers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1