• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:34 am Reply with quote
It must have been more than 10 years ago already, definitely not before 2004 but most likely earlier than 2007, when I wrote an e-mail to ANN with two suggestions on how to improve user friendliness. I wasn't rejected, received a positive response, but since nothing ever happened, I thought now's the time to mention it again. If someone has already posted such suggestions in this thread I apologize: I glanced over the pages but there's no way I'm going to read 18 pages of suggestions and their discussions.

Suggestion #1 was about the incorporation of character thumbnails in a Seiyû's role information, because I thought that characters are easier to remember and relate to using a visual image rather than just a name and it saves the user the time to research the names in order to know which character that name belongs to: Touch a name with your mouse pointer and a picture pops up.
Since any member can add information to Anime pages, why should they not be able to upload avatar-sized thumbnails to make the information more concrete?
It might be interesting to note that in the response that I received a decade ago I was told that this idea was already in the planning process. Alas, it seems to have been dumped?

Suggestion #2 is, I guess, a tad more complicated. Every Anime in the book has a "vintage" - I would like to see this applied to Seiyû pages as well. Their Anime are in alphabetic order but an option to also order the titles according to vintage would be nice. What role was his or her first, what was the first lead role, how did his/her voice develop during these years. Those would be points that I am interested in.

Please let me know what you think of this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
My personal opinions:

1: Oh HELL no! The site is already mobile-unfriendly as it is, more images means more data. Besides, is it really that hard to do a google search?

2: You already can, for Japanese cast/crew. It's in your settings. Very last option
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Since we're on the topic of sorting things by vintage, why hasn't anyone thought to sort the credits for companies by vintage? I, for one, would really like that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
1: Oh HELL no! The site is already mobile-unfriendly as it is, more images means more data. Besides, is it really that hard to do a google search?

Well, it does save time and my starting point was this:
I have a ton of pictures. I know which Anime they're from, but I always wanted to make an index by adding the names of the characters in the pictures. Bringing this to the forum is like a final straw. If this results in nothing I'll make the step and delete everything and anything from Anime I have never seen.
Besides I don't really care about mobile-friendliness - although, on second thought, your argument is of course valid.

Dessa wrote:
2: You already can, for Japanese cast/crew. It's in your settings.

Jee, I didn't know. Thanks a bunch! I shall remember you. You are the first person to reply to me (here) and you joined on July 14th... that's my birthday. Razz I will remember you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
42317 wrote:
If this results in nothing I'll make the step and delete everything and anything from Anime I have never seen.

I don't know what Dan has planned for the next encyclopedia updates, but there are already other sites that have a character database with pictures you could contribute to including Anime Planet, Kitsu.io and My Anime List.

I'm also an idiot as for #2 I was for some reason thinking you were talking about English VAs where you can't sort by vintage, since I've had mine set in date order for so long I forget it's not the default.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calico

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
More on titles waiting for approval: I find it really weird that so many error reports are needed to remove a single duplicate title. For example, there's a Haikyu!! duplicate that's been sitting in the "awaiting approval" list for years. I and three others have all reported it using the system, but it doesn't seem like it will ever be taken off. And there are several other duplicate titles that have been stuck forever. It would be nice if there was a better way to alert the right people about duplicate titles than report it and hope the right number of people care enough to report it as well.

It'd also be nice if there were some way to filter out titles that people submit that are in kanji/kana. The guidelines clearly state to not submit kanji/kana for the main title, but I've still seen some submitted titles in that format. Is there not a warning against using certain characters when submitting the main title?
sugo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
HI

I'd like to suggest a simple yet quite usefull addition to the search engine, that I've been missng for a long time, but my guess is that I'm not alone.

Adding checkboxes for categories to the search just like "Objectionable Content" checkboxes. ex:
[─] Seen All [─] Seen Some [─] Want to [─] Won't finish [■] Unseen
[─] SomeCustomCategory

Thanks in advance
If I can help somehow make this happen, I hope I can.
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
I'm disgusted that Encyclopedia article titles of Smile Precure and Dokidoki Precure has renamed to Glitter Force and Glitter Force Dokidoki. I demand you ANN to change it back to its original titles.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
While I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, on the chance that you're not, that's not how the Encyclopedia works. If there is an official English title, whether it's for an unedited or edited version, that title is the main title of encyclopedia article. I'd love for Weiss Kreuz to be credited as such, but Knight Hunters is the official English title, so that's what's there.
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
While I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, on the chance that you're not, that's not how the Encyclopedia works. If there is an official English title, whether it's for an unedited or edited version, that title is the main title of encyclopedia article. I'd love for Weiss Kreuz to be credited as such, but Knight Hunters is the official English title, so that's what's there.

Official English Titles my Foot! Anyone with a brain will tell you that those two encyclopedia articles have been vandalized and you know it. The "official title" aka the horrible English Title sticks out like a sore thumb compare to the PreCure list of shows. First Wikipedia NOW ANN it seems as if the whole internet wants to whitewash anything related to Smile PreCure and Dokidoki PreCure from existance replace it with horrible Glitter Force in its place who do they think are the Ministry of Truth? If you read the book 1984 you would know what I'm talking about. I'm sorry that I'm getting angry but this is how I feel right now to me this is absolutely injustice and it sounds as if you don't care at all in my eyes. Just change the those articles back to it REAL PROPER TITLES and everyone of the anime community specially PreCure fans will forgive you.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Again, that's not how the Encyclopedia works.

Dan42 wrote:
It's good to be picky and want to add series correctly. Very good. That means I have less stuff to fix. :-)

Basically, we have decided on having the english title as main title of an anime (whenever possible). This is really just a matter of policy because either japanese or english would be fine. We chose english because, as sailormech pointed out, ANN is an english-language website. We definitely want the main title to be the official english name when the anime has been licensed. For unlicensed anime... the japanese name would probably be the best option.

Apart from that, this is not really an issue. Main titles and alternative titles are both displayed in the encyclopedia, and they both lead to the same page. Pretty much the only difference is that alternative titles have to be approved by us before appearing in the list of titles (they appear in the anime's details though). So if someone enters a title very similar to one that is already listed, like "Please Save My Earth - From Alice, To Rin", we simply will keep it as an alternative title but not list it with the other titles.

The Official, North American, English title, is the main title of the Encyclopedia page. Complaining about it won't change the policy, which has been in place for many years (the above quoted post, from the FAQ thread, is from 2002). Like it or not, the official English title of the show is Glitter Force, so that's what will remain in the Encyclopedia.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, so... has anyone thought to include an option to have not just staff and cast, but companies have their animes organized by vintage? It just bothers me that they're left out of the loop.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd personally also really like that. I'll forward the idea on to Dan.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I suggested this about 14 months ago and didn't get any feedback then. Does it sound appealing to anyone?

Shay Guy wrote:
Since the staff seems to be pleased with the modified Schulze ranking used for "best and worst of the week", the thought of adding it to the Top 10 pages here and here occurs to me. ANN already has an implementation of the algorithm in use, so I can't imagine it would take too long to code. Would it be prohibitively difficult to compute? I don't know how often those update (every page load? once a week? once a month?), and I don't know what O(n^3) translates in real time to when you have like 10,000 candidates. Though a 10,000x10,000 table sounds like a lot of cache misses...

If that's not feasible, how about allowing users to select anime or manga for Schulze rankings of their own? Kind of like the "Compare Credits" feature. Though I'd still like to see an encyclopedia-wide comparison even as just a one-time thing, maybe a blog or forum post.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
So I'm looking at the nice new site options and wondering if there's perhaps a way to take advantage of them to streamline the "compare credits" feature. I use it all the time, and it's always been irritating to me that it's locked away on its own secret page, with the list of items you've selected to compare invisible until you're there (not to mention that the additional page requires you to perform several extra navigation steps when adding items to that list). Any chance we can do anything to make my favorite feature more user-friendly?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21