• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Streams Live-Action Gundam Film's Announcement Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:33 am Reply with quote
GOOD GOD! NOT AGAIN!

i mean seriously! haven't they learned their lesson with the debacles from kite and ghost in the shell? hell, haven't they learned from the umpteenth time that anime that get adapted from Hollywood NEVER WORKS!? PERIOD!?

sunrise needs to IMMEDIATELY SCRAP THIS DISASTER IN THE MAKING! just because the original gundam got massive raves when it made its cameo in Ready Player One, doesn't mean a boatload of crap when it comes to success in the west!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LuzOx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
They did it with ALL YOU NEED IS KILL, just repeat the THE EDGE OF TOMORROW formula and we are good to go
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
G-Savior the 2nd coming? No thanks. Please just spend all that money on a new animated television Gudam series instead.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I like that Sunrise is being very careful with a statement of 'checks and balances' between them and Legendary as far as specific stages in production. A better comparison would probably be the Power Rangers flop, as in Bandai trying to pitch a franchise and grow a brand rather than a one-off specific film. It is a powerful brand, and if I were going to put any stake in this, I would trust Legendary before any other studio. Gundam fans are probably one of the most hardcore groups in anime fandom, and their standards are very high. Is Peter Jackson a Gundam fan? Can this be an option like LOTR, minus whatever the hell happened with The Hobbit? Sad
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Make it a gritty sci-fi war movie rather than a super robot movie like Pacific Rim and then I might be interested but I'm not optimistic.

Would be nice if Mark Simmons is involved. He is the English Gundam expert.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
all I can say is this 1. I hope it doesn't turn into G Savior and 2. if it somehow turns into DBS they should all refund every person who buys a ticket
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
GOOD GOD! NOT AGAIN!

i mean seriously! haven't they learned their lesson with the debacles from kite and ghost in the shell? hell, haven't they learned from the umpteenth time that anime that get adapted from Hollywood NEVER WORKS!? PERIOD!?

sunrise needs to IMMEDIATELY SCRAP THIS DISASTER IN THE MAKING! just because the original gundam got massive raves when it made its cameo in Ready Player One, doesn't mean a boatload of crap when it comes to success in the U.S!

Fixed "the west" overgeneralization with the more correct "U.S".

Leaving aside the whole "the west is the U.S.", there's a good explanation for this: It seems that the Japanese really love to see their works being adapted by Hollywood, in stark contrast with everyone else, when they are normally more wary about allowing Hollywood to adapt their works there. There's no other explanation for this.
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
GOOD GOD! NOT AGAIN!

sunrise needs to IMMEDIATELY SCRAP THIS DISASTER IN THE MAKING! just because the original gundam got massive raves when it made its cameo in Ready Player One, doesn't mean a boatload of crap when it comes to success in the U.S!

Fixed "the west" overgeneralization with the more correct "U.S".

Leaving aside the whole "the west is the U.S.", there's a good explanation for this: It seems that the Japanese really love to see their works being adapted by Hollywood, in stark contrast with everyone else, when they are normally more wary about allowing Hollywood to adapt their works there. There's no other explanation for this.

But it's not just the U.S it is the "west" since the U.S isn't the only country that has tried adapting Anime films into live-action. I think you are forgetting that G-Saviour was made by Canadians.

Where is Tomino when you need him...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Filed under D for dead on arrival and T for trashfire. It's going to be a flop worse than New Gundam Breaker.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm optimistic.

Legendary seems to have had a good run with Pacific Rim, and the Gundam in Ready Player One was well received.

That the Japanese arm is playing a big roll in the mecha designs and supervision looks like a good thing, and I believe they are serious based on the nature of this announcement as a collaboration, unlike past properties where everyone else was happy just to sign over the license and let Hollywood go nuts on their own.

Let's face it fellas... At the end of the day it'll be the robot action that puts the asses in the seats, and nobody does the FX action spectacle better than Hollywood.

Now we could end up with disasters like Ghost in the Shell and Dragonball...

Or we can get something legit awesome like Edge of Tomorrow or Speed Racer!

And look at the other bright side...

It may light a fire under the asses of WETA to finally do Evangelion, or DiCaprio to do Robotech.

The age of the Comic Superheroes are done after Avengers 4.

Say hello to our new trend of giant robot overlords!

All kidding aside, I'm optimistic. I hope they're obviously going with The Origin... though this could be a completely new thing too, and I'm okay with that!
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
[quote="jIt may light a fire under the asses of WETA to finally do Evangelion, or DiCaprio to do Robotech.[/quote]

The Robotech movie has been in the works for the past 3 years and DiCaprio isn't involved. And there has been no new developments since 2017, due Harmony Gold causing problems and there being legal issues regarding Macross, Megaroad, and Mospedia. Which means they cannot use Valkyries, the SDF-1, and even the characters. So they practically have to reinvent Robotech all over again.

With WETA, they gave up Evangelion years ago. But if Gundam is successful, it's plausible someone might try an adaptation.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Why didn't I realize this sooner? They're trying to find a new route to selling Gunplas in western countries. At least that's how Sunrise probably did or should sell it to American executives looking to profit off merch.

Anyway, there are a thousand ways this could go wrong and a few ways it could go right.

It's probably gonna be UC. In that case, the best case scenario is it probably ends up looking like Rogue One with giant robots. Pacific Rim is the only baseline Hollywood has to work with, but it needs to be less like that and more like a war movie.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

It's probably gonna be UC. In that case, the best case scenario is it probably ends up looking like Rogue One with giant robots. Pacific Rim is the only baseline Hollywood has to work with, but it needs to be less like that and more like a war movie.

I don't think you have to worry about that since Hollywood LOVES war movies, War movies, and even more WAR movies
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
The Robotech movie has been in the works for the past 3 years and DiCaprio isn't involved. And there has been no new developments since 2017, due Harmony Gold causing problems and there being legal issues regarding Macross, Megaroad, and Mospedia. Which means they cannot use Valkyries, the SDF-1, and even the characters. So they practically have to reinvent Robotech all over again.

With WETA, they gave up Evangelion years ago. But if Gundam is successful, it's plausible someone might try an adaptation.

Ah right... that thing's moved so much it's with Sony now the last we heard... Yeah they were going to have to probably use it in name only and pretty much come up with new designs etc. and loosely adapt the Robotech (Macross) storyline.

I wonder who would now handle Eva? Back then it was ADV and WETA. But ADV is no more... And there was then similar legal tomfoolery with them, Gainax.

Would Funimation or Khara do a similar deal as this Gundam one?

Or rather, doesn't Sony own Funimation? So this would then be a Sony Pictures possibility?

Which reminds me, WETA is currently working on Battle Angel Alita... so we'll see how that goes...
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
There might be a number of people who might have a problem with a live-action version of "Gundam" coming down the pike. We have those like jr240483 screaming "IT'S A DISASTER!!!" without ever giving this a chance. I'm not like those people. I don't have a problem with this. It's actually a good idea. Although a lot of the movies he sites like "Dragon Ball Evolution,""Ghost in the Shell,"and others like them haven't done well,I file those under the "Good Idea,Bad Execution" type of movie. If you're wondering what I mean by that,I mean that they're good ideas,but something went wrong with how they were made.
Hopefully,that won't occur here.Since Sunrise will be involved with the production,there might not be as many problems as there would be if they decided to do this on their own. As I've said before,I hope Yoshiyuki Tomino doesn't have a problem with this. If he does,they'll probably either throw a bunch of money his way or they'll either have a character with his name somewhere in the film or they'll have a ship named after him in the movie. Either way,that'll calm him down. I also hope that they'll get Mark Hamill for this one. He'd be great in this. He made his name in these sort of movies. I'd see him playing an admiral or general in this one. What do you guys think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1