• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Grand Blue Dreaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
One of the most hilarious shows of this year so far. I got so much laughs from this especially with the over the top comedy.

Iori and the male cast is just so entertaining with their character expressions and personalities. There's also the drinking game parody that I found pretty amusing so far. Really glad they poured good budget into this anime too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I just found this show grating as all hell. I watched the first episode to completion and was left scratching my head why it was so popular. It had a few good jokes, like lighting the drinks on fire, but overall it was just loud, obnoxious, and incredibly tropey. It just felt like I was being beat over the head with generic anime shenanigans that have been done a thousand times over by better anime. I ended up watching the second episode too just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and again, loud, naked, obnoxious frat boys recycling the same joke over and over again. To me at least, this is the most puzzling anime of the season by far. It's blowing up everywhere I look, but for the life of me I can't see any redeeming qualities here.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Seems to be a bit of a marmite debate going on with this one (love it or hate it) but I'm 100% firmly in the 'love it' camp.

Honestly I think this show is hilarious, the setups and jokes have all landed for me so far and the cast seem to have good chemistry. The comedy comes across like a more gaudy version of HINAMATSURI and the great reaction faces the characters have are up there with Golden Kamuy.

If things continue as is I can see this show keeping me thoroughly entertained over the coming Season.
one.night.bkk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I spent the first two episodes almost rolling on the floor. I'm not sure what that says about my taste in humor, but I find the show refreshing, particularly because I've been sick of dark, gritty, dramatic, angsty, emo stuff since the early 2000's, and I've also never been into the more surreal types of humor people seem to enjoy. Grand Blue's hitting all the right notes for me so far...
-SP-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how people could hate this? Maybe it's just their sense of humor but I'm loving it so far, this kind of reminds me of Prison School as well.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I am loving this show so far, and finding it funny as hell. I also LOVE the ending...song and visuals, heh.
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I like this show so far, I am kinda sick of so many high school stuff, so an anime about college is refreshing! Yeah, the comedy is not for everyone, that is for sure, but the ones who liked the show probably wont drop it

The only thing I do not like so far is the animation. I think they need to make an effort and improve it, because this show clearly bases its humor on the details
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:52 am Reply with quote
It's predictable at times. Just like the room decoration bit in EP2. You see it coming from a galaxy away. Especially the final bit of that. But it didn't change the fact it was hilarious.

Main concern from episode 1 was...can they keep it fresh? Because they can only run the same naked drink gags for so long.

Then it comes to the female characters and the obvious romance subplot. There needs to be some form of connection and it isn't going to happen with the MP getting wrapped up in the same nudist comedy bits. Episode 3 looks like it'll probably shake things up a bit. Hopefully for the better.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
Cant wait for Cakey to show up next week and finally the rest of Iori and Kohei's group. Thats when the comedy really starts to get rolling especially the part with their professor...
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“These college boys think dressing up for a beauty pageant is just too weird!”

It's not the dressing up part, it's the costume choice. They are high school uniforms, and given that Iori and Kouhei are (technically) adults, dressing up as high school kids gives off a ridiculous-and-not-in-a-good-way vibe. Especially for Iori who is expected to wear the female uniform - considering that "high school girls in school uniform" is pretty much Japan's national pervy kink, Iori rightfully expects to come across as a) complete creep b) a total joke wearing that costume, embarrassing and branding himself in front of the entire campus. (One would think that by now Iori has embarrassed himself enough not to give a damn, but clearly he's still trying to salvage his reputation. Kouhei, on the other hand, clearly lacks the self-awareness to understand how embarrassing he normally is.)

I mean it's still not exactly comedy brilliance and also not exactly in line with current sensibilities re: gender and sexuality, but it's not as weird a reasoning as one would think.
BluExocet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
II really like how this show so far has covered some of the realities of SCUBA, like how expensive it is, the detail of the gear, and the drinking.

Seriously, ask any dive pro and more often than not as soon as the dive is over (and hopefully the guests are gone) the booze comes out. Like, after every charter is that episode of Overboard where they go to town to just drink.

Also, if you look at the credits they have PADI and TUSA as well as a few other diving brands listed, which is really cool. And the mask+snorkel Iori is using in ep3 is definitely Tusa. I have the exact same snorkel (it's the Platina II Hyperdry, it's bendy!) The mask is probably from the Freedom CEOS line.
gregory280

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoing the animation of grand blue. I think the omedy is far better in the manga. The dialogues in grand blue manga are always in a comic level. Its hard for me put in english my thought, but i feel that reading the funny dialogs in the manga are more funnier than in the animation. Reading i can take my time to look the face of the character and read the words. In the anime they have simulate the comic timing of the dialogue witch is the fast response of the characters to some situation. Other thing that i liked more reading the manga than looking the anime, is the art. The art of grand blue is complementary to the funny dialogues. Looking the absurd faces od Iori in the manga for more time than the anime, makes me laught more.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
And now heres where the ball starts to get rolling
Gabriel Augusto Vidigal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Best episode so far, all the death threat are really related, I remember doing a lot of that with friends, The date was awesome hilarious, specially when Kouhei broke the taboo, what a madlad. Aina was so cute as well. Really enjoying the experience so far.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The best episode so far and they give a C- ?? ANN reviewer get out your drunk...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2