• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Urusei Yatsura Stamp Set Celebrates Manga's 40th Anniversary

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forge that this is essentially the first harem or proto-harem manga/anime series.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Let's not forge that this is essentially the first harem or proto-harem manga/anime series.

Think you meant "Let's not forget", but I agree with it as written:
Let's not continue to forge that wrong belief about the founding Girl In a Closet series for which the genre was named.

And I'm sure Shutaro Mendou expected his face to someday be on a national Japanese postage stamp, only without the other Tomobiki-ites getting one too. Razz

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to Viz's release of the manga. I can remember watching the DVDs years ago when Netflix had them.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Urusei Yatsura is such an iconic anime / manga, with legendary seiyu, that I doubt it will ever get a remake.

Btw, it's really great that to this day Hirano and Furukawa stayed friends.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Urusei Yatsura is such an iconic anime / manga, with legendary seiyu, that I doubt it will ever get a remake.

Btw, it's really great that to this day Hirano and Furukawa stayed friends.

Not a remake, but it'd be nice if they'd make OVAs of some unadapted manga chapters.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Not a remake, but it'd be nice if they'd make OVAs of some unadapted manga chapters.

Near the end of the last season, you could see them scraping up the bottom of the barrel for unused early-manga stories, so think they've been through the best.

A few ended up only in bits and pieces:
One early manga story had the guys lost on a skiing trip in the mountains, rescued by a girl (of course) and her grandma, and comic misunderstandings lead the guys to think the two might be legendary mountain-cannibals...When they see silhouettes late at night of the two sharpening long blades so they'll be "ready for our guests", our guys are out like a shot, not realizing that the two were only sharpening the group's skis. Laughing
Since this was during the Princess Kurama arc, we also get a running side joke in the middle of the story about Kurama not happy about taking a snowy mountain hot-springs beauty-bath.

In the TV version, the story just kept the Kurama-bath gag, threw out the rest, and pasted it into the Kurama-meets-Mendou episode, with no major loss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1