• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Blu-Ray Disc Box Sets in November

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh. It's more expensive than it ought to be, but not nearly as much as I was expecting from Aniplex. Maybe someday they'll actually start putting out releases for people who don't light their cigars with hundred dollar bills.

Fortunately, I already have the Funimation Blu-Rays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
At least for those who wanted to buy The Irregular at Magic Highschool you can buy the entire series as one complete set and for half the price it cost me over 3 years ago for the 3 part limited edition release.

Plus since since the limited edition set number 1 is out of print it kind of is your only option who needs the little artbooks and post cards.

Aniplex isn't as cheap as it's rivals but it's not so expensive that you could never afford it in your life time, I've noticed if you can wait it out a few years they usually do re-releases at cheaper prices.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Likewise own the Funimation Blu-rays to everything FMA, so yeah not double dipping unless Aniplex tosses in something REALLY special. And the pricing is still too high.

Last edited by Zeino on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
And here we are, still waiting for SAO Season 2 (Phantom Bullet/Calibur/Mother's Rosario arcs) box set. :/
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
$100 wouldn't be too bad for a complete collection, it is 64 episodes, but for only half the show, that's taking the piss.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Only $100 a set, huh? Not as bad as I thought it might be if they ever got around to re-releasing it: actually cheaper than what I got Funimation's OOP BDs for. Still a bit excessive though, and honestly I'm happy with what I have. Although apparently it comes with some extras (a booklet), so that's nice. I might get the Irregular at Magic High School box set at some point, though. But first I need to get around to seeing the movie, which is just sitting in a stack of anime in my room.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Pretty expensive but no where near as bad as I thought
professorwho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Likewise own the Funimation Blu-rays to everything FMA, so yeah not double dipping unless Aniplex tosses in something REALLY special. And the pricing is still too high.

No, it's not too high. It's cheap for Aniplex. Normally, they charge $40 for 4 ro 5 episodes with GOOD PQ, compared to FUNi badly encoding series with 9 episodes on a disc and horrible banding.

The FUNi Blu-rays are badly encoded, with tons of banding and aliasing at an insanely low bitrate. The Aniplex release will surely be better, as it's not hard to top FUNi's crap.

I'm not gonna pick them up, though, as I already own the series, but, I do intend to eventually.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:

The FUNi Blu-rays are badly encoded, with tons of banding and aliasing at an insanely low bitrate. The Aniplex release will surely be better, as it's not hard to top FUNi's crap.

Do you have documented proof needed to back up that claim of yours? Because otherwise I'm writing you off as a Aniplex shill.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Huh. It's more expensive than it ought to be, but not nearly as much as I was expecting from Aniplex.

Yeah, its price-per-episode is pretty comparable to a typical Funimation single-couer LE release (at least if you don't factor in the fact that AoA stuff never goes on sale, or the question of whether FMA:B should be priced the same as a Funimation release of a 2017 show). I spent about this much per episode on Iron-Blooded Orphans, for example (although of course that came with a bunch of extra stuff).
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Yet still no rerelease of the ROD bluray set
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
They really should re-release that. ROD, both the OVAs and TV series, is too good to be so out of print.

Wish they'd used this opportunity to add a new dub to Irregular, but I might eventually pick that up now.

Oh nice, looks like Viz just put up the second part of Terra Formars as well.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Huh. It's more expensive than it ought to be, but not nearly as much as I was expecting from Aniplex.

Yeah, its price-per-episode is pretty comparable to a typical Funimation single-couer LE release (at least if you don't factor in the fact that AoA stuff never goes on sale, or the question of whether FMA:B should be priced the same as a Funimation release of a 2017 show). I spent about this much per episode on Iron-Blooded Orphans, for example (although of course that came with a bunch of extra stuff).

Yeah, I don't have a need for it since I have the Funimation blu-ray sets, but I agree while it's more than it should be at this point it's also not as bad as I expected from AoA.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
professorwho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
professorwho wrote:

Do you have documented proof needed to back up that claim of yours? Because otherwise I'm writing you off as a Aniplex shill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyDx3WeK9Dw

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=15218714&postcount=1948

(I do write-ups on the Blu-ray dot com forums in the anime section, and I have proof. I can give you more evidence to prove what videophiles like me already know about FUNi and their lackluster encoding, if you're not satisfied.)
j Talbain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Classic Aniplex making the series out of reach to most anime fans. I'll stick with watching it on Crunchyroll.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Kill la Kill box set when? It’s basically OOP too...
Also I hope they’ll stream the OVAs somewhere like Crunchyroll soon. I’ve never seen them.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4