• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Site—Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show quite a bit. Maybe I'm just a sucker for dark magical girls.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
I was disappointed by this show. While it was superficially dark, it was also extremely silly with things like magic panties and over the top personalities that made it impossible to take seriously. I didn't feel attached to the characters so their suffering didn't have any emotional impact, compared to series like Madoka and Yuki Yuna which had much stronger character development.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect anything good from this but still was disappointed. The show's edge and over the top execution make me care less to what happen to any of the character, that and the gore instead of you know scary turns into comedy of the season. Aya is one of the most annoying MCs I've seen, it's really irritating how dense she is. I should nominate her the worst main character of this year.

If there's any thing I enjoy there are the ending song which was quite nice and Kizuna Ai's first role as the booby samurai geisha makes me chuckle lmao.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
It became an absurdist comedy in my eyes when the brother wore the magical underwear, too stupid to enjoy, not stupid enough to be really funny.
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and it gives further indication of the series' saving grace: the relationship between Aya and Tsuyuno.

Yes, exactly! This aspect alone took the show from something I would have probably not liked to something I actively looked forward to every week.

I thought it kind of a shame when the show began and none of the reviewers wanted to pick it up because by the end I felt it became something a lot better than it started. Even if someone didn't really like it by the end, that much felt certain, and it seems to be the case for Theron.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The first episode of Magical Girl Site was a bit much but overall the show was surprisingly optimistic for a late night magical girl show. The main issue is that the first episode can be hard to watch since they show all of the horrible things that are happening to Aya. The show gets a kernel of hope once Aya meets Tsuyuno and their relationship is the heart of the story. I think that the last episode of the show did imply that it was romantic. Magical Girl Site did have some flaws but I thought the show was entertaining and it had an optimistic message.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
"This show is cruel, dark and edgy" Oh gee it's almost like this show is a horror anime, what were you expecting? Everyone complains about the show being "edgy": are also many who threw roses to "Scum's Wish" for it's perceived maturity.

Magical Girl Site not a great show, truly has some issues, but not trying to be anything it's not, like Yuki Yuna (really shameless Madoka clone) just opens as a straight horror it's not a subversion like Madoka Magica.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The first episode of Magical Girl Site was a bit much

Ha.....ha......I dunno if I can recall the last time I hated a first episode so much. It actually made me angry. I was reviewing it for anime club and my notebook is FULL of angry notes and doodles (which they found really amusing.)

Let's see if I can dig up the less offensive (more funny stuff)

"Pour dissolving acid onto it, pour into rocket, shoot it into a blackhole so it can't hurt anyone ever again"

"Makes Madoka look like Card Captor Sakura" xDD

"MC makes Shinji Ikari look like Black Star."

"If you hate SAO for plot holes, you ain't seen nothin."

"Cat dies. No hope or beauty anywhere."

"Edge-I cut myself"

...............yeah, I did not enjoy this. xD I was so very disturbed and angry and the first episode, I dropped it like a stone.
Sometimes one ep is all it takes.

Quote:
"This show is cruel, dark and edgy" Oh gee it's almost like this show is a horror anime, what were you expecting?

Horror or not, I would at least be expected to be treated like I have a functioning brain that may ask logical questions like "why can't the parents HEAR their son beating their daughter half to death every night?"

But it doesn't. It treats you like an idiot. Same problem as Future Diary Being horror doesn't excuse terrible writing.....and it really does feel needlessly cruel.

For comparision,
Made in Abyss is considered a horror manga and while horrific things happen, they don't happen constantly or illogically.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
"Edge-I cut myself"

Quite literally in fact.

Contains depiction of attempted self-harm
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Horror or not, I would at least be expected to be treated like I have a functioning brain that may ask logical questions like "why can't the parents HEAR their son beating their daughter half to death every night?"

From what I have read and watched, he is not beating her half to death, as in a "beat down". His beating her half to death, is more like a form of slow torture that is punctuated by bits of hard physical violence. Her brother knows his physical violence must be controlled so as not to draw the attention of his parents. From what I understand, we are only seeing snippets of his daily violence and torture of his sister.

It is quite conceivable for a person to torture a family member in your own home, without the other family members noticing. Especially if you are smart in your actions, and have control over your victim, so that they do not tell on you or go to the police. He probably started when she was much younger, and instilled a fear of what would happen if she said anything.

Chiibi wrote:
.....and it really does feel needlessly cruel.

As a person who watches tons of real life crime shows, people are quite often needlessly cruel. Even to the aspect of this anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1