• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Kingdom Film Unveils Cast, Director, April 19 Opening

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 am Reply with quote
Damn the actor they got to play Ou Ki looks a lot like him and looks pretty fabulous. Hopefully this does well and maybe the anime will get renewed with hopefully good animation. The next arc after the second season concluded was easily the biggest and most epic arc of the series. The Coalition Invasion arc was where 5 of the 7 kingdoms(Zhao, Chu, Wei, Yan, and Han) banded together under the leadership of Ri Boku to invade Qin. It was this massive war where every general of Qin was fighting on multiple battlefields where it all culminates with this final stand at the city of Sai the last city before the capital where El Sei the king of Qin his guard with Shin and his men and nothing more but conscripted citizens of the city held off a siege from a much larger army of 40,000 Coalition troops led directly by Ri Boku for 7 days. It was a truly spectacular arc with so many amazing moments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
They up in here making live action when the anime is ugly as crap and aint even finished smh.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
^
I hope you just meant that in your own aesthetic standards. Cause the anime rocks, albeit the poor CGI on S1. But as a fan of this series, live-action adaptation always has me shaking my head, but this one... looks freaking legit.
cosain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:06 am Reply with quote
honestly the trailer looks amazing and even tho im getting tired of lead yamaken he aint too bad of an actor in this day haha so im looking forward to this Surprised
forexjammer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:27 am Reply with quote
Oooooh this one looks legit great. If they have the time to hire that many extras and making a damn castle I have great expectation.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Funny that no one has complained about having Japanese actors playing Chinese people here. I already aware this movie is based in a Japanese manga, but, considering that Tecmo-Koei did bothered to do a Dynasty Warriors film with an all-Chinese cast, I found strange no one did the same here.
Duoanime

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Funny that no one has complained about having Japanese actors playing Chinese people here. I already aware this movie is based in a Japanese manga, but, considering that Tecmo-Koei did bothered to do a Dynasty Warriors film with an all-Chinese cast, I found strange no one did the same here.

Perhaps the story ends up where the main character and others escape from Yin Zheng (Qin Shihuang) to Japan. Razz This can cause another controversy from Japan.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xu_Fu
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The trailer looked cool, but knowing this is a Shinsuke Sato movie officially sold it for me!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Yes, they could have and perhaps should have gotten Chinese actors to play the Chinese actors. When an ethnic person from Country A is playing an ethnic character from Country B, I find it more justified for such a portrayal when both ethnicities have a shared history (be it genetically, linguistically, or culturally). Now, when ethnic person from Country C is going to play that County B character, the lack of a shared history will tell me "don't play that character".

In the case of your example, a Japanese person is more justified playing a Chinese character vs. an Indian person playing a Chinese character. However, better a Japanese person play a Chinese character than an English man play that Chinese character. Likewise, it's better if a Irish person played an Englishman than if a Chinese person played that Englishman. This doesn't count scenarios like where a Chinese person that was born and raised in London (Chinese by ethnicity but London by nationality) plays an Irishman.
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, except don't all ethnicities have a shared genetic history? And for all you know, the entire cast could have been "raised in China" and thus meet your criteria for someone who should be "allowed to play character B."

Anyways... Man, Shinsuke Sato is really churning 'em out these days. Reminds me of a year or two ago when it seemed like Takashi Miike released several manga or video game based movies in quick succession. I haven't heard good things about the Bleach film, but I have yet to see it and make my own judgement. My bar for a satisfactory live action film is usually pretty low. And many of Sato's movies have far exceeded my expectations.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Okay, except don't all ethnicities have a shared genetic history? And for all you know, the entire cast could have been "raised in China" and thus meet your criteria for someone who should be "allowed to play character B."

Anyways... Man, Shinsuke Sato is really churning 'em out these days. Reminds me of a year or two ago when it seemed like Takashi Miike released several manga or video game based movies in quick succession. I haven't heard good things about the Bleach film, but I have yet to see it and make my own judgement. My bar for a satisfactory live action film is usually pretty low. And many of Sato's movies have far exceeded my expectations.

To your first point, that is correct. As far as your second point, I did make a potentially similar point with "it's better if a Irish person played an Englishman than if a Chinese person played that Englishman. This doesn't count scenarios like where a Chinese person that was born and raised in London (Chinese by ethnicity but London by nationality) plays an Irishman."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1