• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia GN 15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
That's some harsh rating for such an excellent volume. I dont feel like Nighteye's ability are just randomly arbitrary. His prediction of All Might's demise being unclear because of how far it is in the future makes for an excellent tense plot point. The conversations that glfollows between AM and Midoriya also makes for one of my favorite moment. Then you have our first encounter with Eri and Red Riot's amazing debut, giving us a thrilling volume.

I gues I just heavily disagree with Nick here. This is never deserving a C+ in a million years. More like an A. It's one of the best volume. Nick's so harsh nowadays.
Aezreal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
I share the same feelings on this volume as Nick does. I think it's one of the weaker ones in recent memory. There are good moments and concepts but the execution of the build-up wasn't as adequate as it needed to be. To have someone say that you're going to die sometime in the future, nebulously so, doesn't provide the greatest of stimulus for All Might and Deku's conversation afterwards. It doesn't matter if we're told that Nighteye can see the future, the audience is given basically nothing beyond "He can see it" to grab onto.
Plus, the whole talk about the quirk erasing bullets just doesn't make for compelling material. It sets up a lot of potential for what follows, but taken individually it's a slow and uninspired start to things. It's not that the idea of quirk-erasing bulets is bad, it's that the delivery is too long.

GoldCrusader wrote:
That's some harsh rating for such an excellent volume.
(...)
I gues I just heavily disagree with Nick here. This is never deserving a C+ in a million years. More like an A. It's one of the best volume. Nick's so harsh nowadays.

Absolutely fine to disagree and to enjoy the volume greatly, but I don't see where this idea about Nick being harsh is coming from. The previous 4 volumes were all rated A- or higher, and he has written a great deal of positive sentiment about the work in general and recently so.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Aezreal wrote:

Absolutely fine to disagree and to enjoy the volume greatly, but I don't see where this idea about Nick being harsh is coming from. The previous 4 volumes were all rated A- or higher, and he has written a great deal of positive sentiment about the work in general and recently so.

I wad more talking about the recent MHA anime review and this volume. I'm still trying to figure out how a story he rated between B+ and A+ in the manga, get rated B- for the anime. Plus I think C+ is a pretty bad score honestly and I do consider it harsh yes.

But I do feel that in general he is harsh in the way he rates things compared to most. His written part are generally good yes, but they rarely fit with the scores he gives imo.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Aezreal wrote:

I wad more talking about the recent MHA anime review and this volume. I'm still trying to figure out how a story he rated between B+ and A+ in the manga, get rated B- for the anime. Plus I think C+ is a pretty bad score honestly and I do consider it harsh yes.

But I do feel that in general he is harsh in the way he rates things compared to most. His written part are generally good yes, but they rarely fit with the scores he gives imo.

Because even if the "story" should be the same, it is portrayed differently. Hence the disparity.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the volume yet, but C- does feel a bit harsh.That said, you cannot expect every volume of MHA to be a perfect A or A-. This is just the calm before the storm. From the looks of Volumes 16 and 17, things will begin to pick up very soon.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Sir Nighteye's power wasn't well explained when I was reading week by week I kept being confused on the limited. I love the Overhaul arc, but two of the powers isn't as well explained and they kind of made the arc feel like it was dragging.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
C+ is much too generous

should be C- or D
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Ok come on. It cannot not have been that bad. Besides, this is just the beginning of the arc. You cannot expect the writer to throw in the good stuff right away.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
^ I mean he kind of did that for every arc
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
Ok come on. It cannot not have been that bad. Besides, this is just the beginning of the arc. You cannot expect the writer to throw in the good stuff right away.

Look at the comment your responding too lol. It has bait written all over it, don't take it seriously.

And the Horikoshi gave this volume tons of great highlights, Kirishima's being one of the series' very best. Nick wanting to be harsh doesnt lessen their presence or their strength as key moments.

AksaraKishou wrote:

Because even if the "story" should be the same, it is portrayed differently. Hence the disparity.

Yet he never once mention that the story was impacted in anyway and even praises the adaptation. I just think he's not constant and he just wanted to be harsher for whatever reason. But this is off topic here, so I won't go any further. It's not like Nick is reading the comment section.
Bobduh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:34 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

Exactly. A great deal of that review was specifically about how the adaptation made the material work less well.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
Bobduh wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

Exactly. A great deal of that review was specifically about how the adaptation made the material work less well.

Beyond the full page spread comment I don't think you really succeeded at passing that message then, even then that's less story and more art and animation. At least for it to tank the story from an average of A to B-. I would've expected more negativty with a score like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1