• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Illang, Jin-Roh and the Kerberos Saga: A Brief History of the Dogged Pursuit of Justice

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Off topic, but I´d like to see a feature article here about anime series/movies protraying mental illness and how accurate or innaccurate some depictions are. I say this because Bojack Horseman, a Netflix animated series, has been praised for its reallistic depiction of things like depression, anxiety, loneliness and other similar topics that affect people´s minds, so I was thinking if there are some anime series that do the same.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I think this Korean remake seems to be much better than the orginal one, because the stories are so good!
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
The Korean live-action Jin-Roh did nothing for me. The propensity of Hollywood to change important story elements for absolutely no productive reason other than "because", has sadly rubbed off on Korean film makers.

Want to set the story in Korea instead of Japan? Fine. But why change anything else? A unified Korean peninsula frightens everyone else? How utterly absurd and egotistical. The entire "what if" alternate Japanese history setting of the Jin-Roh anime movie this Korean version stands on its head is major reason why the original was so intriguing.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
The Korean live-action Jin-Roh did nothing for me. The propensity of Hollywood to change important story elements for absolutely no productive reason other than "because", has sadly rubbed off on Korean film makers.

Want to set the story in Korea instead of Japan? Fine. But why change anything else? A unified Korean peninsula frightens everyone else? How utterly absurd and egotistical. The entire "what if" alternate Japanese history setting of the Jin-Roh anime movie this Korean version stands on its head is major reason why the original was so intriguing.

I agree with you that Hollywood (and I guess in this case the Korean equivalent?) often feels the need to make significant changes to films, and that irritates me too, in a general sense. But I don't follow the gripe in this case. The alternate history is an interesting part of the Kerberos saga in general, but it had absolutely nothing to do with the plot of the Jin-Roh anime. In fact, it's not even mentioned at all, except for a couple words of opening narration. Both the plot events and the visual presentation of the film are not predicated upon that alternate history. That history is interesting on its own merits but it doesn't really have anything to do with with Jin-Roh 1999 except it just happens to be the backstory which is never relevant to the plot. The plot of Jin-Roh only needs the existence of a "terrorist" group and political infighting between two rival police or military factions who oppose the terrorists. The exact nature of those groups or how they came to be doesn't really matter as far as Jin-Roh's plot is concerned.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, a whole article about Jin-Roh and the Kerberos universe.

I kind of have to post, just to pimp my avatar. And while I'm at it why not pimp my obsolete (19 years old !!!) Jin-Roh website

Overall, an awesome and informative writeup about Kerberos, although I wish there was a bit more about Illang in there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Jin Roh and the Kerberos Saga
There's a spoiler section in there, but it's announced well ahead of time.
Morality in Jin-Roh's Intertext
Chock-full of spoilers.
Stray Dog
I'm surprised this is on YouTube.....
blooregardo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
RIGHT WING DEATH SQUADS
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:14 am Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:

I know I'm replying to a thread that's going to be two years old soon. But I'll be viewing this from a poli sci perspective on East Asian history.

My view is that a unified Korea that can done under South Korea's vision can certainly "threaten" China (and maybe Russia) since they're an American ally. I'd say Japan, but that'll depend on things.

The Lowy Institute as of 2019 reports that South Korea is at 6th place with overall power. But if you take out the US, India, Russia and the SEA countries in the top 10, then China is the strongest next to Japan before South Korea. South Korea is modernizing its military to be able to project itself overseas and the results are showing like their deployment in the Middle East with units stationed in the UAE and with the anti-piracy unit in the waters near Somalia.

So I don't know if that's being used as the basis for Ilang, but I won't be surprised if that's part of the reason.

PS - I didn't get the prologue on where America doesn't want a unified Korea. Same as Japan. China and Russia, I can get behind it to an extent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1