• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: B: The Beginning Wins Jury Prize at Bucheon Int'l Animation Film Fest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I knew not listening to negative opinions of this show would pay off somehow. Very Happy
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I knew not listening to negative opinions of this show would pay off somehow. Very Happy

...what, were you the judge or something?

The show is kind of offensively derivative and clichéd, but it looks and sounds beautiful (some pieces of its animation and sceneries are breathtaking), so it's easy to see how someone who doesn't watch much anime would be impressed by it. That doesn't make the pointless and clichéd story or the two-dimensional and clichéd characters any better. Seriously, the entire setup is:

Quote:
Eccentric middle-aged male genius (yawn) returns from semi-retirement to work on a case that he hopes will help him avenge his fridged wife/female relative (yawn), meets cute young woman who annoys him at first but her pluckiness eventually melts the ice around his heart (yawn). The central mystery is related to superpowered kids (yawn) who escaped from a Secret Government Institution (yawn) where their powers were developed for Evil Government Purposes (yawn). The bad guys are a bunch of evil superpowered weirdos (yawn) in service of a main boss whose identity is probably supposed to be a secret but is so damn obvious from the character design and the character's position that they might as well have owned up to it from the first episode. Oh yes, and the main superpowered kid character is obsessively trying to protect a cute girl that is his childhood sweetheart (yawn).

Also cute young woman and cute girl are supposed to be Strong Female Characters(TM) except they both end up as the most damn classic damsels in distress, being menaced by their respective villains and having to be rescued by their respective love interests... and one just happens to be also naked during all this. What originality, what quality. Ending has some Shocking Twists that make zero sense whatsoever and are not elaborated on because the writers know that's for the better.
MHAFMAB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't a big fan of the show but cliche doesn't necessarily mean bad.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
MHAFMAB wrote:
I wasn't a big fan of the show but cliche doesn't necessarily mean bad.

You're thinking of tropes. Clichés do actually mean bad, the definition of the word is that it refers to an idea that is banal and overused and betrays lack of creativity. And this is what we have in this case.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to the fans of the show.

SHD wrote:

Quote:
Eccentric middle-aged male genius (yawn) returns from semi-retirement to work on a case that he hopes will help him avenge his fridged wife/female relative (yawn), meets cute young woman who annoys him at first but her pluckiness eventually melts the ice around his heart (yawn). The central mystery is related to superpowered kids (yawn) who escaped from a Secret Government Institution (yawn) where their powers were developed for Evil Government Purposes (yawn). The bad guys are a bunch of evil superpowered weirdos (yawn) in service of a main boss whose identity is probably supposed to be a secret but is so damn obvious from the character design and the character's position that they might as well have owned up to it from the first episode. Oh yes, and the main superpowered kid character is obsessively trying to protect a cute girl that is his childhood sweetheart (yawn).

Also cute young woman and cute girl are supposed to be Strong Female Characters(TM) except they both end up as the most damn classic damsels in distress, being menaced by their respective villains and having to be rescued by their respective love interests... and one just happens to be also naked during all this. What originality, what quality. Ending has some Shocking Twists that make zero sense whatsoever and are not elaborated on because the writers know that's for the better.

Who are you quoting there? As someone who watched the entire series and disliked it I still have a hard time taking the criticism there seriously, mainly due to all the yawning and how pretentious it sounds. The yawning comes across as arrogant and snidely confident, which isn't a good look for someone that wants to be taken seriously in a critical discussion.

There are several points I'd probably agree with not being particularly interesting in the story, I would definitely agree it has some serious issues with writing in general. However there are other yawn points where the person just sounds like they hate fun. Maybe those points could be fun if done well and weren't well executed in this series, but the attitude still comes as across "I'm too cool for this and no fun is allowed". It's like the Cinema Sins of anime but instead a ding every 2 seconds it's a pretentious yawn.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

The show is kind of offensively derivative and clichéd, but it looks and sounds beautiful (some pieces of its animation and sceneries are breathtaking), so it's easy to see how someone who doesn't watch much anime would be impressed by it. That doesn't make the pointless and clichéd story or the two-dimensional and clichéd characters any better. Seriously, the entire setup is:

Quote:

Even strong women need rescuing every once in a while. It shows that they're not totally prefect, which a lot of Strong Female Characters aren't.

Last edited by Animechic420 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MHAFMAB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
You're right but isn't a cliche based on one's own opinion not hard facts.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to them. This show managed to keep me watching from beginning to end and that's more than I can say about a lot of other anime these days.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
Who are you quoting there? As someone who watched the entire series and disliked it I still have a hard time taking the criticism there seriously, mainly due to all the yawning and how pretentious it sounds. The yawning comes across as arrogant and snidely confident, which isn't a good look for someone that wants to be taken seriously in a critical discussion.

I'm quoting myself (but you probably already knew that...) from what was not an attempt at serious criticism but just a quick and silly, tongue-in-cheek something that I slapped here in some thread while watching the show. If you want I can do serious criticism, I can write an entire essay about my issues with this show, but this wasn't serious nor "serious criticism" and wasn't meant to be. If you don't want to take it seriously then don't.

HoboSoup wrote:
However there are other yawn points where the person just sounds like they hate fun.

Oh no no no, let's not do the whole shutting down discussions with "well if you don't like X you just hate fun!" thing. Perhaps the idea of "fun" is not universal and different people find different things fun to different degrees. (Hell, if someone finds this show fun - it's their problem not mine, go have fun with it. That won't make it a good show.) Also: sure, old and well-worn Trope X can be fun if executed well - but the entire point here was that they weren't executed well, the writing was overall yawn-inducingly banal and even otherwise decent tropes ended up being just elements in a cliché pile. It would have helped if the show wasn't taking itself so damn seriously, but alas, it did...

Also, just fyi - I like a lot of really silly things and find them fun. Bananya, for example, I loved that. Bakumatsu Rock, one of my favorite shows with a Bakumatsu setting, it was stupid and I loved it. While we're at history, Sengoku Basara is one of my favorite things ever, same with Drifters. Classicaloid brightened up my weeks for two beautiful seasons. So no, you don't get to play the "you must think you're too cool for fun" card here.

MHAFMAB wrote:
You're right but isn't a cliche based on one's own opinion not hard facts.

Er, sorry but no. That's not how this works. And you can say "I know this is a cliché but I eat this stuff up with a spoon" and that's fine, but a cliché is still a cliché.
chronos02

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
TBH, it's one of the few shows to have had a Netflix release worldwide, and it's much more enjoyable than the vast majority of western "cartoon" aimed at young adults, with a comparably good story, comparably incredible animation, and a good flow of the story, together with easily identifable bad guys, good guys, and seemingly hidden characters that come as a surprise at the end, all ending on a "to be continued" that can be simply ignored if the investors want to.

However, as SHD quoted, the actual show was mediocre at best, with correct animation, very typical characters (powers, doctor bad guy, genius good guy, support cast, strange bad guys with weird masks and whatnot that can be traced back to the 80s!), and very simple story with plenty of clichés, and the overall design of the world, characters, etc. is very poor and unimaginative. It felt like a "job", only there to satisfy corporate directives, even if, maybe, everyone involved loved the project to the bitter end (though there's a 2nd season coming).
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

No, I'm just glad that after all the negative press I've encountered about the show - from the TWIA column on it that I opted out of reading to your megapost in this very thread - someone actually liked it enough to give it an award. It helps that I don't care if something's unoriginal or predictable or cliched or whatnot. Rolling Eyes
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite Netflix anime. It was super fun to watch. Hyped for the sequel.

Glad it's getting deserved love.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series and was a bit surprised by the vehemence of some of the negative reactions to it. I'm looking forward to season 2.
Airiiin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Perhaps the idea of "fun" is not universal and different people find different things fun to different degrees.

But apparenty the same doesn't apply to personal taste judging media. The fact that people enjoyed the show and think it's good is irrelevant, you not enjoying it automatically makes it bad and everyone else has shit taste, only your opinion matters. Jesus Chris.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
Airiiin wrote:
SHD wrote:
Perhaps the idea of "fun" is not universal and different people find different things fun to different degrees.

But apparenty the same doesn't apply to personal taste judging media. The fact that people enjoyed the show and think it's good is irrelevant, you not enjoying it automatically makes it bad and everyone else has shit taste, only your opinion matters. Jesus Chris.

+1000. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Anyways, obnoxious haters aside, I'm really glad the show is getting some extra recognition and I'm totally looking forward to season 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2