• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Girl in Twilight (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote

(The) Girl in Twilight (TV)

Genres: science fiction

Plot Summary: Every clear day at 4:44 pm, Asuka and four of her friends go to the temple tree on top of a hill, tune their radio to a different frequency, and pray to open the door to another world. It hasn't worked yet, but bubbly Asuka is determined that one day it will, even if some of her friends, like pragmatic Yu and Chloe, don't necessarily agree. And then one day, it does – the girls find the right frequency and suddenly their prayers land them in a golden twilight world where they are promptly attacked. They only survive because another girl intervenes – one who looks strangely like Asuka herself.
----------------------------------

Episode 1

Seems the reviewers gave it a lukewarm reception, but I found myself pleasantly surprised with it. I could see that stuff was really going to go down, so in a way I was not too surprised over the turns, but I still think that it was well pulled off. And I actually think that the action was pretty cool, granted that I don't have some of the aversions that some people have with CGI battles, being a fan of series that are built entirely around them. I am interested to see more.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
The Girl in Twilight
Episodes 1 +2

I don't know. I mean, I like the visual design but its low budget animation... Nana's twintails is fine as a static shot but a full head turn is quite a sight to see in motion.... doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I like the "urban legend leads to alternate world" core concept and there's plenty of shenanigans going on in the "main" world to keep things interesting but its "one girl will always be an anchor who melds with her other world self" mechanism is a cheap storytelling device which results in this one whopper of a line:

"So that means every time we go to a parallel world, one of us will have to be the link."

You've made it to one world. We the audience know it's going to be a reoccuring concept focusing on a different character each time, you don't have to say exactly like that in series.

Still, I like Asuka. Asukas. I have a distinct feeling that we're going to end up with quite a number of different Asukas while the rest don't vary that much.

Also, I love killer snow bunnies. Nothing's better in the world to me than mixing Kanon with Monty Python. They're so cute... but look at the bones! And they're the protectors of multidimensional space... Langoliers with bunny ears...

Oh. Wow. OK then. That is interesting, quite the notion... Not protectors, consumers of fragmented parallel worlds... And that last shot, I have to see how this plays out...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:50 am Reply with quote
It does seem that it has now set up the concept that the characters will be ending up in different worlds, where one character will be forced into the life of their that world counterpart, and probably go through some of their problems.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Imagine being called "Chocolate Banana"? Although, kind of directly off topic to the show, but the culture of Japan, comparatively I have been hearing bits that the default is not such a hard rule as it used to be for changing names, especially if you were uncomfortable. I think with one of my friend groups, the guy even adopted the gal's surname. In this age, I don't even think it would be too strange that both could change their surname if they decided to in both being happy. But I guess Japan is different, since there seemed to be no question that marrying the guy meant taking on his name. Really, the big problem should have been how creepy he was acting, not that she was going to be called Chocolate Banana.

Will say that I think the CGI fights are kind of cool in this series. I am sort of reminded of Etotama, not really in design, but function.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:58 am Reply with quote
Episode three... OK, that part I did not see coming though it's not that I disilke the turn... so everyone is going to generate power cassette tape but they'll have to share the same Sony Walkman? As always, if you want to know if some TV shor ow movie is a Sony production, just look for the product placement...

I do feel there's something more going on with the power or at least I hope's more to it than "realize something about the person who whose life you are occupying who may or may not be you at the moment". It'd be dark but I am hoping that they're absorbing alternate world selves in order to power up. They get in sync with their other world self and... 2 in 1!

One part of the episode I really did like was Nana's own thought of what was going on, an alternate timeline and she had to be told it was instead "another world".

Alternate timeline: There would be a recognizable divergence point in the differences between worlds. Such a world would be easy for Nana to start living in.
Another world: Could be anything different with no logic or no explanation. "Everyone has to get married at 17. Why? Why not?" You have no idea what will happen let alone what is happening. It's no place to make a snap decision to to start living there.

And the ultimate question the episode left me with: How did the Third Asuka know she'll be meeting people from another dimension? Weird enough she wasn't surprised at two versions of herself...

Animation was better, Nana's hair was animated a bit for example and there were some good jokes including Chocolate Banana. So far, so good enough I suppose... there's potential.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

So Sony really creates multiverse transformation devices?

But the real meat of this episode, I really liked it. It really looks like they decided to have some fun with its setting, placing them in a Western version of their world, and especially what it did with some of its characters. But certainly setting up Mia, who seems to put on airs of being really prim and proper for her mother, that she could not admit that she liked Westerns. It will seem that she will find strength in what her version in the West world did in standing up to her mother to become a deputy, and her mother respected Mia decision.

My favourite part of the episode though, was how it pulled off the confusion with doubles, which it does not feel like the series had really gone all out on yet, but was funny. Even if two of them were mistaken for bank robbers. Playing up the tropes though was fun.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
Even more amazing is there is a world out there where they're still making Sony Walkman; I thought it was a relic.

Episode 4

This show is a lot more fun than it should be. "Oh look, a horse!" Then a Volkswagon Beetle goes by as well with a comment of "I guess there are cars too". This is the part of the Mia focus but the highlight of the episode for me was the introduction of the variable Yu. It's funny how the main Yu and bartender Yu look and react exactly the same while the new Yu... the only way I could tell it was her was that she parted her hair the same way... is far more bright and cheerful and is probably a lesbian.

That last one... I know it ties in someway with learning that Yu was the only one married in the previous world yet Yu had no opinion on it while Nana was thinking about staying behind because of it but I can't say if it will turn out to be a positive for the story or more of a "Japan, please get with the times" one as the new Yu is very flamboyant.

New Yu was the one giving the girls the world frequency information.... find out more next episode, I guess.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Sexy Yu was able to convince Asuka to rob a bank. The release of this arc kind of coincidentally came out at a good time, with the release of Red Dead Redemption 2, which I had been playing quite a bit lately, as pretty much a simulation of wild west. I don't know what it says, but I myself have been having a pretty hard time not getting in trouble in RDR2, like saving someone from a kidnapper, before getting in trouble because someone saw me with the body, or difficult just to get some money. Feels relevant to this episode, that had things like needing money, and problems with the law.

An interesting twist after last week's set up, that the sheriff himself was also corrupt, along side the judge. Which of course had them turn out to be the evil things. Mia developed into a cool character, her fight was also good.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

The showdown that begins when the music stops is from the movie "For a Few Dollars More", Sergio Leone's best film with the worst title. There's also a few musical cues and direction choices from his films sprinkled throughout this episode, it always amuses me that his Italian westerns are what Japan usually use when they do their versions of the American West.

It was a good solid episode with lots of comedy, I particularly loved the courtroom scene filled with three sets of twins with dueling sentences capped with a unison derision from this duo of Asukas.

For the overall plot, we learn that Twilight Asuka has nothing to do with Another Yu and, in fact, Another Yu is from a completely different universe from her. So Another Yu is trying to make a team or maybe just one specific member. However, Another Yu isn't fighting the Clutters, only Twilight Asuka is...

Next up would be Chloe because of what I just said. It's either about the variable Asuka or the constant Yu.

"Silverstone"... Silverado and Tombstone... talk about being late to the punchline...
Silverado: A misfit bunch of friends come together to right the injustices which exist in a small town.

My respect for this show has just gone up quite a bit..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
looks good Cool
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 6
Wow... What a great job of connecting dots and not even calling attention to it... Another Yu was spoiler[in love with the Asuka of her world] but something went wrong and now she's...assumption, spoiler[she's trying to make the main Asuka, any Asuka, into the one she loved so Another Yu is a multi-dimensional psycho stalker]... oh, that is so Dark, you can almost call it Twilight. But she implicitly doesn't like Twilight Asuka, she said right to her face that of all the Asukas she's met... and there's a lot to unpack there, mostly what she did to the ones who didn't measure up... Twilight Asuka is the most uncute one possible.

"They're all different." But does she think they're all equally real? And why are they so different but always so in sync?

The main plot of the episode is yadda yadda Evil AI, yadda yadda, "The World online is Matrix and it's Better Than Life", yadda yadda "Chloe is the One who is Neo, so she's the One"... by the way, that world's Yu is missing but, not a problem, Another Yu has her AI phone, how convenient... This is series is great with throwaway lines like that but shouldn't one of the girls think she knows a little too much on how that world works?

Oh, the circle language reminds of the Arrival. that was nagging me because I was recognizing it but couldn't place it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
It does seem possible that in general, Yu is a lesbian, and not just Sexy Yu. Just sexy Yu was in the air earlier, but things like the normal Yu noticing that Asuka's breasts had gotten larger, I am falling a bit towards that we may learn she is repressing her feelings for Asuka. Sexy Yu specifically seems out to reconnect with Yus that are like her that she lost.

This arc seems to largely be about individualism, and how it can be definitive from isolation. That these people could be isolated by actual islands, but still not individual, at the risk of control by forces. A bit of complaints were made in the episode, towards a common Japanese idea of people being alone, that some people want to be by themselves at times, but Japan is pretty high on the collective group mentality.

I was thinking this a few weeks back, but I think that I should probably put my theory forward down sooner rather than later. I think that it is quite likely that the Twilight King most likely has a connection to the brothers of Asukas, and perhaps we will learn that it is either an amalgamation of the brothers, or something like another Asuka at least.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

A transitionary episode, where they did not really have much conflict, in such of going to other worlds. It was a more Asuka focused episode, in how there was a good deal of the Asukas being together. I was actually really happy when the grandmother saw them both, because it is not like it would be the end of the world, and they would surely treat Serious Asuka well, which could be good for her. Asuka's father was kind of being a bit mean, by apparently preventing Asuka from getting involved in the business, and at the same time saying she is unprepared for her wish of joining it as from her career plan. The deal seems to be that he does not want Asuka to feel pressured into it, he wants her to be free, Asuka mention of it does show that she seems to think it her duty to take it up, interesting that duty regardless seems like a strong goal for both of them.

Despite Asuka (both) being centre stage, the next arc is likely to also have some focus on Yu, her being the anchor for their group into Serious Asuka's world. The episode also included a bit where Yu was saying she was free that week, before getting an angry call from her father over skipping cram school. I do want to put a little focus on Yu was apparently the only one that could straight away tell that Serious Asuka was there, and not their normal one, I take it as evidence sexy Yu is not unique in some regards, that she is probably also in love with Asuka.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:28 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I was thinking this a few weeks back, but I think that I should probably put my theory forward down sooner rather than later. I think that it is quite likely that the Twilight King most likely has a connection to the brothers of Asukas, and perhaps we will learn that it is either an amalgamation of the brothers, or something like another Asuka at least.

He definitely aged and somehow involved but I'm thinking the Twilight King is Another Yu's Asuka. It's the easiest way to connect how Another Yu has Clutter fighting equipment but no interest in fighting them.

Episode 8.
Episode 7 played out as I expected except it was even less interesting that I thought it could be but 8 was a step up with comedy being the focus of the episode but having some good reveals about the Asukas story, appearances of former foes in the "real" world and some potential development of Yu, especially if she's now stuck under the dome.

Yu is complex, that's the best way I could put it. During the marriage arc, she was the only one who had... well, that's an assumption... I'll just say she was the only who was married but she showed no interest in what her married life was like. So her sexuality has been in the back of my mind since then but I never thought of her being interested in Asuka 100%.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Well, it looks like us, the audience, got informed of who the Twilight King is, and most likely looks like it is the brother. Although we need some explanation for actions. Sad that it looks like Serious Asuka and her world is now gone, which feels very sad. Yu semi merged with sexy Yu, but I am not quite sure what might have come from the merge.

Some things left open, like what other features the new devices can do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2