• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Shizu's arc deserves a bit more credits and all the emotional impact was pretty well-earned; also, I disagree that her entire purpose is to give Rimuru a human form and motivations, no, he also inherited her will and changed Rimuru's perspective of this another world entirely. I believe around the second cour of this anime, we will see how Shizu will continuously play an important role in the story despite her demise.

Another point though: even slime is genderless and Rimuru is sill a middle-aged man at heart, I feel his behaviors and language are getting more and more feminine ever after he obtained Shizu's form. Maybe physical appearance does subconsciously their perception on self-behavior?
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I want something from Isekai now. I want a proper show that satirizes the genre thoroughly. And fun as Konosuba was, it wasn't trashing it really.

I want Nabeshin and Pop Team Epic to team up.

I want them to hire just Chiwa Saitō to do literally every voice.

The show could be called

Re: Isekai Yuri On My Chromebook, In Another World, Desu

The main character would be named Hiro Kyonarargi (voiced by Chiwa Saitō). Suddenly when using his chromebook, he's in a new world. I mean apparently you don't have to explain much more than that based on the shows so far.

His love interest would be Rem Kaede (voiced by Chiwa Saitō), His sister, but it's a step sister, so it's ok if they have nine kids before the second season.

His second love interest would be his Chromebook (voiced by Chiwa Saitō). In a rare cross promotional opportunity, Google gets tricked into signing something. They animate this, and Nabeshin (voiced by Chiwa Saitō) writes himself into the story to explain it, then explodes.

His third love interest would be a Ginza Hostess named Asuna Leafa (voiced by Chiwa Saitō) that was the other person that bought a Chromebook that month. She would use her considerable Ginza Hostess experience to fight monsters with Hiro.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
he also inherited her will and changed Rimuru's perspective of this another world entirely.

"Her will" though as mentioned in the article essentially boils down to, we need a plot reason for Rimuru to go after demon lords. The major problem with the arc I think is that it is resolved too quickly. If Shizu had been around for a while I think it would have felt more meaningful. As it is it was an interesting arc, just poorly executed. Can hardly blame the anime for that though. The light novel wasn't any different.

Zof wrote:
I want something from Isekai now. I want a proper show that satirizes the genre thoroughly.

Just give me something more like 1997 Berserk and I will be happy. Actual fantasy. Goblin Slayer is not it.
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:
he also inherited her will and changed Rimuru's perspective of this another world entirely.

"Her will" though as mentioned in the article essentially boils down to, we need a plot reason for Rimuru to go after demon lords. The major problem with the arc I think is that it is resolved too quickly. If Shizu had been around for a while I think it would have felt more meaningful. As it is it was an interesting arc, just poorly executed. Can hardly blame the anime for that though. The light novel wasn't any different.

Zof wrote:
I want something from Isekai now. I want a proper show that satirizes the genre thoroughly.

Just give me something more like 1997 Berserk and I will be happy. Actual fantasy. Goblin Slayer is not it.

Conversely, I would murder numerous hobos for more Grimgar.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
I want something from Isekai now. I want a proper show that satirizes the genre thoroughly. And fun as Konosuba was, it wasn't trashing it really.

The show could be called

The main character would be named Hiro Kyonarargi (voiced by Chiwa Saitō). Suddenly when using his chromebook, he's in a new world. I mean apparently you don't have to explain much more than that based on the shows so far.

His love interest would be Rem Kaede (voiced by Chiwa Saitō), His sister, but it's a step sister, so it's ok if they have nine kids before the second season.

His second love interest would be his Chromebook (voiced by Chiwa Saitō). In a rare cross promotional opportunity, Google gets tricked into signing something. They animate this, and Nabeshin (voiced by Chiwa Saitō) writes himself into the story to explain it, then explodes.

His third love interest would be a Ginza Hostess named Asuna Leafa (voiced by Chiwa Saitō) that was the other person that bought a Chromebook that month. She would use her considerable Ginza Hostess experience to fight monsters with Hiro.

I think you are mixing up your bete noires with the sister thing. While both are prominent enough WN/LN genres, Isekai and Imouto don't usually mix, at least as far those adapted into anime. I'd mention the yuri part of the title not being addressed in your proposal, but that's not really typical of isekai either, to the point that a yuri isekai might be interesting to see. Suddenly appearing in another world with no explanation isn't really typical of the genre either, as usually the MC dies and reincarnates in another world, as with Rimuru in this show or Kazuma from Konosuba, or they are summoned by someone from that other world, like Shizu here or the MC from Demon Lord. Re:zero is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but I think that's a case where that explanation will come eventually. On a more general note, I think an isekai that just exists to trash other isekai and the genre itself is a recipe for a cynical, purposefully bad isekai. While I know there is a audience for ripping on isekai (at least among the English-speaking fandom, as I cannot speak to sentiment of the original Japanese audience), I don't know that there is enough to make it worthwhile to spend the time and money to make even a 12 episode series, or that it would be able to maintain the interest of the audience for that long. I do think a isekai parody from the creators of Pop Team Epic could be good though, as they actually demonstrated an understanding of the genre and executed it well with its idol and otome game parodies, to the point that, even as a fan of idol anime, I'd totally watch an adaptation of Hoshiiro Girl Drop. Though a genre parody that its fans would watch probably wouldn't do it for those who just want to see it ripped on.

On Slime, I agree with Engineering Nerd that Shizu's arc deserves more credit than the columnists give it, and for me, it was more emotionally effective as well (and for a number of others, if that episode topping the rankings on this site for that week is any indication, as well as its episode reviewer). Same with the villain from the Dwarf kingdom arc, as I found the moment he realizes he disappointed his king though his scheming was rather poignant. I also agree with Engineering Nerd that the columnists are oversimplifying Shizu's role in the story, though we will see how it bears out in the rest of the show. I would also disagree with the columnists criticizing the show for having multiple different tones, as that didn't bother me. Never really got the insistence from some reviewers that a show maintain a singular tone throughout. I do think the columnists underestimate the show's capacity for depth, but I guess if one's opinion of isekai is "garbage unless otherwise noted", it is difficult for a show to move that opinion much.
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Zof wrote:

The show could be called

I think you are mixing up your bete noires with the sister thing. While both are prominent enough WN/LN genres, Isekai and Imouto don't usually mix, at least as far those adapted into anime. I'd mention the yuri part of the title not being addressed in your proposal, but that's not really typical of isekai either, to the point that a yuri isekai might be interesting to see. Suddenly appearing in another world with no explanation isn't really typical of the genre either, as usually the MC dies and reincarnates in another world, as with Rimuru in this show or Kazuma from Konosuba, or they are summoned by someone from that other world, like Shizu here or the MC from Demon Lord. Re:zero is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but I think that's a case where that explanation will come eventually. On a more general note, I think an isekai that just exists to trash other isekai and the genre itself is a recipe for a cynical, purposefully bad isekai. While I know there is a audience for ripping on isekai (at least among the English-speaking fandom, as I cannot speak to sentiment of the original Japanese audience), I don't know that there is enough to make it worthwhile to spend the time and money to make even a 12 episode series, or that it would be able to maintain the interest of the audience for that long. I do think a isekai parody from the creators of Pop Team Epic could be good though, as they actually demonstrated an understanding of the genre and executed it well with its idol and otome game parodies, to the point that, even as a fan of idol anime, I'd totally watch an adaptation of Hoshiiro Girl Drop. Though a genre parody that its fans would watch probably wouldn't do it for those who just want to see it ripped on.

On Slime, I agree with Engineering Nerd that Shizu's arc deserves more credit than the columnists give it, and for me, it was more emotionally effective as well (and for a number of others, if that episode topping the rankings on this site for that week is any indication, as well as its episode reviewer). Same with the villain from the Dwarf kingdom arc, as I found the moment he realizes he disappointed his king though his scheming was rather poignant. I also agree with Engineering Nerd that the columnists are oversimplifying Shizu's role in the story, though we will see how it bears out in the rest of the show. I would also disagree with the columnists criticizing the show for having multiple different tones, as that didn't bother me. Never really got the insistence from some reviewers that a show maintain a singular tone throughout. I do think the columnists underestimate the show's capacity for depth, but I guess if one's opinion of isekai is "garbage unless otherwise noted", it is difficult for a show to move that opinion much.

Oh, I'm just picking. They say Hollywood is out of ideas but it's like, have you seen Anime? Still, that's how genres happen. People love an experience or "feel" so much they don't want the romance to end. So they keep making the same show, and others do also. Typically because people keep watching them.

Probably because there's a lot of very real, very popular sentiment amongst a lot of very real people that if they had the chance right now to go to another world and leave all this fake drama behind, they would in a heartbeat. Just like the Pilgrims did. Isekai would totally resonate with Pilgrims. It would be all they'd watch while shining their shoe buckles.

And that's why Isekai is like America

PS: Totally agree on Girl Drop
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought the orc girl looked MUCH hotter with this so-called "downgrade".
Granted she looked hot before too, but those angry eyebrows and creepy markings were rather distracting.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
As to the reviews. it is how real life is.

Child murder sure is sad, but it happens all the time and everywhere. And in medieval life, even medieval fantasy kids always have it rough.

I have no problem with the depictions of violence in anime. I like my anime old school. So lay on the body count, and put guns and swords in little girl's hands.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Zof wrote:

"reason for Rimiru to go after the demon lords" yea... cause he's totally been doing that that in episode 9-10.... yea... totally.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Child murder sure is sad, but it happens all the time and everywhere. And in medieval life, even medieval fantasy kids always have it rough.

I have no problem with the depictions of violence in anime. I like my anime old school. So lay on the body count, and put guns and swords in little girl's hands.

Ah, you know, now that you put it that way it makes a lot more sense. See, silly us, we forgot that bad things happen in real life, and were under the impression this anime had made that concept up. Looking back it really was silly of us to say stuff like

Quote:
Personally, I abhor the very idea of violence in any capacity, fictional or otherwise, and am shocked and befuddled at the idea of something happening that is not 100% positive and pleasant. It truly is an abhorrent creation this slime show has brought upon our eyes

and

Quote:
Indeed, I am a blind and naive creature bred and raised in a calm meadow that has never known storm nor darkness. That this hallucinogenic moving picture magic would dare taint mine angelic sensibilities with such violence is beyond what a psyche can handle. I required three fainting couches to even survive it!

Thank you, wise person, for letting us know that violence is real. You have enlightened us
fantaselion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:43 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Ah, you know, now that you put it that way it makes a lot more sense. See, silly us, we forgot that bad things happen in real life, and were under the impression this anime had made that concept up. Looking back it really was silly of us to say stuff like

Quote:
Personally, I abhor the very idea of violence in any capacity, fictional or otherwise, and am shocked and befuddled at the idea of something happening that is not 100% positive and pleasant. It truly is an abhorrent creation this slime show has brought upon our eyes

and

Quote:
Indeed, I am a blind and naive creature bred and raised in a calm meadow that has never known storm nor darkness. That this hallucinogenic moving picture magic would dare taint mine angelic sensibilities with such violence is beyond what a psyche can handle. I required three fainting couches to even survive it!

Thank you, wise person, for letting us know that violence is real. You have enlightened us

unfortunately some people need to be enlightened these days. Sad
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm totally here for "37-year old dude spends his time playing Sid Meier's Isekai Civilization".

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:19 am Reply with quote
IMO, isekai as a genre is in such dire straits precisely because of it's popularity. If you approach the concept from a writer's perspective, taking one's prot from their own world to another makes them a "fish out of water". I once read a sci-fi story written back in the 1960's, author escapes me, might have been Cornbluth, about a US Marine stationed in Iceland who get sent back in time to the 11th Century and completely fails. Compared to the 11th Century Norse who lived in Iceland at the time he was a weakling. So a writer needs to give their prot something which will keep them alive and functioning in the alternate world. and ability or implement.

One thing which helps, and a lot of writers miss, is a valid reason for the prot being sent to the other place beyond some whim the writer cooked up like "You didn't deserve to die so you so I'll give you another chance." says God the Voice of the Writer. InuYasha is a great example of this. The female prot had a jewel in her body which caused a monster to come out of the well from the past and pull her back in time. Now before you say "Time travel isn't isekai." I will say that strictly, yes, it is. If the character is going to a medieval setting does it matter if that setting is 13th Century Europe or Japan or if it's somewhere just like those places but isn't actually those places?

So, back to my original statement, isekai being so bad because of it's popularity. In general writers have been ignoring the second part, giving a valid reason for the character to go there, while going all in on the first part, giving the characters something which aids them, possibly because there are so many more possibilities for the first than there are for the second. Or at the least it's easier the think of a power gimmick than it is to create a valid reason. This is why the manga-scape is currently polluted with dozens of isekai titles featuring characters who are over-powered but have no actual purpose for being in their respecting alternate worlds.

Personally I am waiting for someone to do In Another World With a Sex Doll which would be a farce about a strategy game otaku who wins a huge cash prize in an on-line tournament, goes out and buys one of those life-like sex dolls, and just as he gets it home he gets summoned to another world in a scene ripped off from "How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord". But the doll is summoned with him and comes to life, turning into an epic fighter devoted to him, and with his skills as a strategist they conquer the world...but she still won't "give it up" and she makes sure that he never gets any sex from any other women either. Sound horrible? Guess what? If someone sent in that proposal to most of the publications with the first four pages drawn and the art was decent it would get picked up. Shudder away, my friends. Shudder away.

Zof wrote:

Conversely, I would murder numerous hobos for more Grimgar.

Lock and load.
ichigoteguz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:23 am Reply with quote
On this week in ANN, is "This Week in Anime" worth reading? Spoiler, it's not.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:

Personally I am waiting for someone to do In Another World With a Sex Doll which would be a farce about a strategy game otaku who wins a huge cash prize in an on-line tournament, goes out and buys one of those life-like sex dolls, and just as he gets it home he gets summoned to another world in a scene ripped off from "How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord". But the doll is summoned with him and comes to life, turning into an epic fighter devoted to him, and with his skills as a strategist they conquer the world...but she still won't "give it up" and she makes sure that he never gets any sex from any other women either. Sound horrible? Guess what? If someone sent in that proposal to most of the publications with the first four pages drawn and the art was decent it would get picked up. Shudder away, my friends. Shudder away.

There are probably a web novel like that. If it gets some popularity on those web novel sites, the probability is pretty high of be published and get a adaptation in the future.

But it looks like a good plot. Maybe you can write that novel. i'm sure there will be lots of people reading it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2