Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Hero Mask Worth Watching?


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Takkun4343



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Posts: 742
Location: Gahanna, Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Over the past two years, I've been working on a 12-episode original fiction written and structured in the style of an anime, complete with soundtrack and staff credits and everything, about a generic lawlharem protagonist and Japanese twentysomething Frank Serpico teaming up to investigate the disappearance of the former's childhood friend after she's kidnapped by a trio of Senran Kagura expys who never take off their over-the-nose masks. I credited Pierrot with the animation production. And after reading your discussion on Hero Mask, without even needing to watch a second of it for myself, I feel like I put out a much better Pierrot product than Netflix.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
poisondusk



Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 52
Location: Brighton, UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed watching it, but it was definitely a nonsensical mess and the plot really fell apart in the later episodes.

One thing that I did appreciate about it was the obvious care and research that went into the backgrounds, which were beautiful and featured recognisable London locations. Unfortunately, Netflix made the bizarre (cost-cutting?) choice to dub the whole thing with American actors despite the obvious UK setting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Imadeatree



Joined: 25 Mar 2018
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Did we watch the same anime??? Somehow I can help but feel the people who wrote that article were just looking for something to dislike this December. I bingewatched the whole thing and I was, indeed ,entertained.

I understand, the anime was a bunch of hollywood cliches thrown together, but tbh thats what made me like it? Especially because all the animes out there lately, they just..no. I will agree the writing was on and off, and the ED was kinda put there, but overall I would give this anime a 7.5 out of 10.

Also this was by Pierrot, and while I know they have great animators there, and any studio with a big budget will allow itself to make well animated scenes, I was not expecting this animation. I'm not saying it was 100% perfect but gosh this is the same studio that produced masses of LOL faces for bleach/naruto for years, so let me have it. Also, I'm certain they knew they were kinda mimicking a James Bond film, it felt like a serious parody and honestly im here for it, you guys are just mean. I rather this anime to the bunch of animes that come out every single month where all the characters look 12 but are like 25.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ajc228



Joined: 29 Dec 2015
Posts: 211
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I think this is easily one of the worst anime I have ever watched. That gif of the action scene where there are 5 cuts perfectly encapsulates the Crank-like direction. It’s confusing, lacks spatial awareness and is oddly edited. This might be forgivable if the writing was decent or the characters were fun but that is not the case. Instead the writers delivered bland archetypes and a story that feels like it was generated by an algorithm to cater to western tastes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luisedgarf



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Posts: 380
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
I think this is easily one of the worst anime I have ever watched. That gif of the action scene where there are 5 cuts perfectly encapsulates the Crank-like direction. It’s confusing, lacks spatial awareness and is oddly edited. This might be forgivable if the writing was decent or the characters were fun but that is not the case. Instead the writers delivered bland archetypes and a story that feels like it was generated by an algorithm to cater to American tastes.


Fixed for you, otherwise I agree with you on the rest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2258
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Geee those action sequence, how did that make it past any form of editor?

And what was up with the trailer that was like half people drinking coffee??

I was kinda surprised that I had literally never heard of this before this but I can easily see why, no one would put money down to market this. Anime hyper

Netflix production really doesn't seem to have a very good hit rate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kotomikun



Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 543
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
And what was up with the trailer that was like half people drinking coffee??


Hey, that's not fair. The trailer also included:
- People drinking tea
- People drinking alcohol
- People talking on cellphones
- People pointing guns in various directions
- Cars
- A full 15 seconds of Stock Hexagonal Grid Background #3

On some level, I'm kinda glad to hear this show was no good, because American TV has already been taken over by an ever-expanding glut of police propag... uh, I mean, "procedurals," which are increasingly just superhero action movies, starring genius badass cops with unassailable codes of morality taking down serial-killer savants and mad scientists and such. The last thing we need is for Japan to start cranking those out, too. Although analogous productions from their own culture certainly exist (Gate...).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blatch



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 317
Location: Northeast U.S.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me for not really caring about the show being discussed here, but... I don't think any of us are ready for Back Street Girls. TWiA's next article better be a comedic masterpiece to drown out the pain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ThrowMeOut



Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't get past the first episode of this one, but it did make the husband and I cry with laughter as we picked out all the terrible tropes and cliches. Hell the amount of death flags on the lawyer woman alone were at critical mass. Oh she's about to break some case wide open, AND it's her birthday AND she has a spunky young assistant eager to someday fill her shoes? Why don't you throw in the old "two days from retirement" chestnut in too while you're at it? Almost worth continuing just to see how bad it gets. Almost.
Also couldn't help calling it "Hero Does not Equal Mask."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mhora



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 233
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Excuse me for not really caring about the show being discussed here, but... I don't think any of us are ready for Back Street Girls. TWiA's next article better be a comedic masterpiece to drown out the pain.
I'm not sure if critics and viewers are going to hail or hang that one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 1085
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
meiam wrote:
And what was up with the trailer that was like half people drinking coffee??
Hey, that's not fair. The trailer also included:
- People drinking tea
- People drinking alcohol
- People talking on cellphones
- People pointing guns in various directions
- Cars
- A full 15 seconds of Stock Hexagonal Grid Background #3...
Let's not forget the moody music and people saying what looks like "F.U." Plus one gorgeous pair of lips exhaling at the end. Really, I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch the show from this trailer...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zunderdog24



Joined: 08 Jun 2014
Posts: 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:04 am Reply with quote
They couldnt animate a proper pint. 1/10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SkerllyFC07



Joined: 08 Jul 2017
Posts: 103
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
I think this is easily one of the worst anime I have ever watched. That gif of the action scene where there are 5 cuts perfectly encapsulates the Crank-like direction. It’s confusing, lacks spatial awareness and is oddly edited. This might be forgivable if the writing was decent or the characters were fun but that is not the case. Instead the writers delivered bland archetypes and a story that feels like it was generated by an algorithm to cater to American tastes.


Fixed for you, otherwise I agree with you on the rest.


Well, even if it´s the only good thing you can say about this show, this is still better than the 100 ecchi/CGDCT/harem/isekai rotten anime series we receive in the anime landscape today
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raikuro



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 320
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The first 6 episodes would have been worth checking out if you just want a decent action cop show that isn't too complicated. What kills this season though is after Theo's arc ends the story's momentum really plummets. It's like they front loaded all their animation budget to the beginning and had to drag out the "investigation" portion with a lot of drawn out scenes and still frames of characters thinking or reading. It might have been more interesting if it actually had flashback scenes of the dead cop that we're supposed to care about getting justice for, but I guess simple dialogue is more budget friendly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justsomenerd02



Joined: 15 Dec 2018
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I forgot about the traffic jam arc


UM
THE WHAT ARC???

Did I read that right? Please tell me I didn't
I
What
What in the world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group