• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cursed Princess and the Lucky Knight Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
An e-book, eh? I really must check it out.....
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
I did not know that theory about Beauty and the Beast. Interesting! Where can I learn more about it? (And does the theory only hold true for the one longer version of the story mentioned in the review?)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
It's present in a lot of the variants, but Mme le Prince de Beaumont's is the one people usually point out because it was written specifically for an audience of 17th century nobles, so it would have been a major "teachable moment." Maria Tatar is a really good source for learning more, and as it happens, she has a book specifically on the tale that just came out in 2017! Very Happy (Humorously with a "Now a Major Motion Picture!" sticker on the front.) It's called Beauty and the Beast: Classic Tales of Animal Brides and Grooms from Around the World. Marina Warner's From the Beast to the Blonde is older, but also interesting. Jack Zipes doens't have a tale-specific collection, but he's another good source; my favorites are Breaking the Magic Spell and Myth as Fairy Tale/Fairy Tale as Myth.

As a fun note, "The Robber Bridegroom" is sort of a reverse "Beauty and the Beast" - the heroine figures out that she really should stay away from the guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1