• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (and Worst) Anime of Fall 2018

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Zombie Land won me over and made my policy of "no idols" get nulled so it gets my best, but Gridman is right next to it. In fact, if I had to select favorite characters of the season, and even favorite scene, they'd all be from Gridman (Akane, Anti, both of them discussing what a Kaiju is).

As for worst, from what I finished Bunny Senpai was easily it, but I also dropped three shows this season - though they were mostly just boring to me other than bad. Out of those, I guess Goblin Slayer would be the worst one? It felt a bit too masturbatory about the main character being misunderstood and the paragon of sanity. I liked it whenever the show admitted he was a nutcase who just happened to have a peeve that was beneficial to society, but that was like 3 episodes of the 10 I watched.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Best: Bloom Into You

Runner-up: Iroduku

Least good: Goblin Slayer
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh gosh, the only fall anime I've had time to finish is ssss.Gridman. But I do like Iroduku,Tsurune, and Jojos Part 5 a lot.

Hmm..

Favorite: Iroduku (really happy about the shout outs, and Nagasaki is beautifully, truthfully, and lovingly depicted!)

Runner-up: Tsurune

Worst: Not sure

In this case I'm really happy for Rerided's early premiere and that the reviewers just never watched it. Boy was that mediocre to a T. But for reasons I wouldn't have been able to stand people hating on it. Luckily not a lot of people watched it!
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Huh I didn't know there was some transphobic stuff in Double Decker, but then again I've been watching the dub, so maybe they've ironed out that stuff.
alconnow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Best: Skull-face bookseller Honda-san

Worst: Zombieland Saga... It got boring after the second episode
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Best: Bloom Into You (This was the only series I gave a score of 10 on MAL for the whole year)

Runner-up: SSSS Gridman

Close at third: Zombieland Saga

Worst: Karakuri Circus (Cour 1)

Honorable Mention for Most Wasted Potential: Release the Spyce

On a side note: I don't really get the high honors Iroduku received, both from the reviewers and users alike. Yes, I get that it's a symbolism-heavy series and that many people would appreciate it, but to me if anything it's utilizing *too* much symbolism and sacrificing traditional, more linear storytelling in the process. Character arcs get introduced and thrown out of the window in just one or two episodes, and the farewell scene in the last two episodes was just a cringier version of Ano Hana. The music and background art were great though, and that's what keeping me from putting it on the "worst" list of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Cant believe how much these people are slamming double decker. Its like there just critisizing it for it's bad use of politics. There was alot of interesting things in double decker that separate it from most anime in a good way. I'd say it's like 3.5/5 ish but worst? Nah.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Best: Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Runner Up: SSSS Gridman

Honorabe Mentions: Boarding School Juliet, Goblin Slayer, Sword Art Online: Alicization, A Certain Magical Index III.

Best One-Off Special: Lord El-Melloi Case Files

Worst: My Sister, My Writer (dropped after 2 episodes)
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
Cant believe how much these people are slamming double decker. Its like there just critisizing it for it's bad use of politics. There was alot of interesting things in double decker that separate it from most anime in a good way. I'd say it's like 3.5/5 ish but worst? Nah.

The people who have it as "worst" specifically stated that it was the worst thing that they had actually watched through to it's entirety and not that it was a particularly bad show in general. As a Tiger & Bunny fan who was pretty excited for this one going in, I also walked away more disappointed than I expected. I didn't hate it, but it ultimately felt a lot safer than it needed to be, and that's not even getting into the insanity of the last 3 episodes.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I would agree with Nick that this season was fairly close in terms of the top shows, so it is difficult to narrow it down.

Best: SSSS.Gridman (which has been pretty well covered by the reviewers already)

Runner-up: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Earlier in the season, this would have been my pick, but SSSS.Gridman really grew on me in its second half and I wanted to see how the rest of Slime ends up, so this gets the runner-up. I could have nominated most of the reviewers top picks as well, but I will add Golden Kamuy's second season as an additional runner-up as well.

Worst: My Sister, My Writer, unsurprisingly as it was my pick for worst of the year. I've already discussed this elsewhere on the site, and the reviewers have picked it apart already, so I'll leave it at that.

On Jojo Part 5, it is becoming one of my favorite arcs of the series so far. I had been a little wary coming in based on its reputation among fans stateside, but it looks increasingly likely that that was based on some poor translations.

Glad to see Tonegawa mentioned, even if I wouldn't put it quite so high. I did like the addition of the Otsuki segments, making it a two spinoffs for the price of one. I was fond of the segment(s) where Tonegawa took over the company Twitter, if nothing else for this potentially useful line.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:14 am Reply with quote
^Well, it seems that Mr. Becket found something he disliked worse than Franxx, so did everyone else. So glad I didn't watch any of these except Ep1 of SisterWriter. That was enough...

BTW, based on feedback I've caught myself up on SlimeTimeReincarnation and I like it. Surprisingly good. SAO:Alice I am doing the same on, but it has too many problems for me to call it more than "sort of OK".
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
This season I watched Gridman, Reincarnated as a Slime, & Goblin Slayer as they aired.

After the season ended I binged Zombieland and Bunny Girl.

I enjoyed them all, so overall I'd give high marks to the Fall season.

I might still watch Iroduku, Bloom Into You, Honda-san & Juliet after what I've read here, so hopefully those continue the trend.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:22 am Reply with quote
Best: SSSS Gridman
Runner-up: Goblin Slayer

Honorable Mentions: Boarding School Juliet, Sword Art Online: Alicization, Bunny Girl Senpai, Zombieland Saga, Bloom Into You

Worst: Thunderbolt Fantasy (It's not anime)
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
Best: SSSS Gridman

Not even a contest for me. SSSS.Gridman caught me by surprise, since I have no nostalgia ties towards tokusatsu. Plus I'm normally not the first person to get hyped over mech anime on concept alone. But I really loved the direction (both artistically and sound-wise), characters, and how the story evolved in ways I wasn't expecting, with every aspect earned. Over the course of each episode, I got more into the big kaiju fights since there's really no way you can't. I'm now re-watching the series dubbed, which is quickly becoming yet another plus towards the show with good casting choices and capturing the show's almost oddly naturalistic tone (outside the big fights obviously).

Worst: Irozuku

To be fair, I rarely finish anything I'm not enjoying, so I wouldn't call Irozuku bad, but I did think it was a bit disappointing. Despite its strengths (the beautiful art, memorable/creative imagery, a great premise, finishing on a high note - even if it didn't feel completely earned), I could never get invested or attached to the characters and most of their relationships. Quite a few episodes felt meandering and pointless. With tighter focus, this could have really shone as a feature film, but as it stands, I needed more going on in the story or with the character dynamics.

Other Series: Zombie Land Saga, Bloom Into You, Honda-san
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 am Reply with quote
As for me, the best was Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 which transcends anime, live-action and puppet shows with its sheer awesomeness. Runner-Up: Run With The Wind because watching it just makes me incredibly happy.

Honourable mentions: SSSS Gridman, Zombie Land SAGA, Golden Kamuy and *drumroll* Double Decker.

Worst: Karakuri Circus, what a ridiculous, over-the-top melodramatic mess of an anime.

[Edit]: let's leave off being snarky about other people's opinions. Errinundra.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2