• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix's Bird Box Film Also Includes Real Disaster Footage

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Well that is very awkward.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
[in the voice of Alvin and the Chipmunks' owner]

NETFLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX!
aodmisery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
i dont see the big deal as long as it isnt showing any dead bodies.
juusee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
aodmisery wrote:

People have a problem with this regardless of whether there are dead bodies are shown or not. Many people have died in these accidents, with a lot more affected whether they be survivors or those who are related to the people involved in the accident. Using disaster footage is just disrespectful to those involved with the incident. To them they are events that could scar them for life, but to the producers its something they can take advantage just for entertainment purposes.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:45 am Reply with quote
WTF, Netflix? That is so unethical. It's not like these shows don't have the budget for special effects!
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:03 am Reply with quote
juusee wrote:
To them they are events that could scar them for life, but to the producers its something they can take advantage just for entertainment purposes.

Welcome to hollywood / buisness in general ?

Not trying to sound like it excuses them, but they are far from the first company to make a buck off someones suffering let alone use footage from someone's traumatic events.
Chrizy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:55 am Reply with quote
aodmisery wrote:

Why am I not surprised? These folks always find themselves free PR. They will make it big deal. People love to be moral and ethical in these cases.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
It is almost universally a bad idea to ever use real disaster footage for any for-profit endeavor of any kind, including movies, TV shows, publicity campaigns, etc. In a similar way that people may be uncomfortable with learning someone was killed in the house they just bought, people in general do not like the idea of the scene of a tragedy being exploited for money. The producers obviously were making a gamble on one of two things; that people wouldn't really find out, or that people wouldn't really care. Looks like they lost that bet.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
What I don't get is why Netflix would apologize and remove the disaster footage with Death Note but would than keep the disaster footage for Bird Box. I mean either the costs to replace it were a lot higher for Bird Box or they suddenly realized that they were going to get these requests for every movie and TV show on Netflix which contains disaster footage.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
It is almost universally a bad idea to ever use real disaster footage for any for-profit endeavor of any kind, including movies, TV shows, publicity campaigns, etc. In a similar way that people may be uncomfortable with learning someone was killed in the house they just bought, people in general do not like the idea of the scene of a tragedy being exploited for money. The producers obviously were making a gamble on one of two things; that people wouldn't really find out, or that people wouldn't really care. Looks like they lost that bet.

It's perfectly fine to use it if it's a documentary or referencing the actual event in a fictional story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1