• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mirai Anime Film Nominated for Animated Feature Oscar

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
Mirai is very good, but it's no Spirited Away. The award will definitely go to Incredibles 2 or Into the Spider-Verse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xe4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, once you have distributors that actually care about getting anime films nominated, they do. It's no surprise Mirai was the first non-Ghibli anime nominated in that respect.

Congrats to Hosoda, Studio Chizu, and GKIDS for the nom.

Last edited by Xe4 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
ickybott555

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Mirai is very good, but it's no Spirited Away. The award will definitely go to Incredibles 2 or Into the Spider-Verse.

Incredibles 2 was great, but it didn't have any memorable scenes. I feel that Into the Spiderverse has an edge because of the use of different mediums and wonderful story writing.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
I think it's pretty obvious Spiderverse will take it.

I haven't seen Mirai, anyway, I wonder if it's better received than Wolf Children (which is my personal favorite from Hosoda).
j_plex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
Supposedly "it's an honor just to be nominated" type of deal I guess. "Your Name" would have had a real shot in 2016. If not that, then definitely Koe no Katachi. That was Finding Dory, Secret Life of Pets, Zootopia, Sing, Trolls, Kung Fu Panda 3 and Moana ... all right I get why a lot of people went nuts over Zootopia but still at least Your Name would have had an argument and a fighting chance.

But this year? No one has a chance. It will be Spiderverse by a mile. Which makes their nominating Mirai kind of a disappointment. I won't say a slap in the face. Just a disappointment.
Mhora

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
Spiderman! Spiderman! Spiderman! It almost has TOO MUCH animation. Aaaah, it's just an awesome watch!
Mhora

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
Also go watch Shoplifters. I you enjoy something more than fantasy Japan in anime, this live-action movie actually shows Japan and Japanese culture!
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Is it because of the Peni Parker fanbase?
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
CatSword wrote:

Is it because of the Peni Parker fanbase?

No, because it's just damn good. Peni was barely even in it.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
I think it's pretty obvious Spiderverse will take it.

I haven't seen Mirai, anyway, I wonder if it's better received than Wolf Children (which is my personal favorite from Hosoda).

I like Mirai better than Wolf Children, because it depicted a more honest, realistic, and modern version of parenting. Wolf Children is a great movie, but it's a little idealized. I'm guessing most people like Wolf Children because it's more focused on the kids growing up and deciding who they want to be.

Those without kids probably can't relate to Mirai as much, but ooooh boy was it #relatable (I was like the perfect audience - I have a 4 and 1 year old)
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
It's super hard for anime to win anything, so getting nominated is victory as is. Grats to Hosoda & GKIDS etc.

Especially hard in a year with Spiderverse in it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
I really don´t get why Mirai is being pushed for all these awards. The voters or the public clearly don´t care for it on that level. Spider-Man it is and i wonder why the film isn´t nominated for best original score? The somewhat similar Black Panther score is nominated and it ain´t better. The animation ghetto strikes again...

My Best Picture vote would go to Vice but i can live with Roma winning too. Alfonso Cuaron will win big, we all know it. The 2019 list is fairly solid overall. The highlights are B+ at best -outside of Spidey- but true Oscar-bait is mostly missing too. A solid year for film but still a transitional one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I really don´t get why Mirai is being pushed for all these awards. The voters or the public clearly don´t care for it on that level.

Marketing. Now when GKids puts Mirai out on home video they can put ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATED and GOLDEN GLOBE NOMINATED all over the cover.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm surprise Night is Short, Walk on Girl didn't get nominated. It feels like it would be perfect at the Oscars. I think people who don't like anime, but are art snobs would love it.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Got to hand it to GKIDS, even after the voting rule change a couple years ago (with nominees now being chosen by anyone who wants to vote from the entire Academy voting board, instead of just from those within the animation branch), still hasn't slowed them down. Congrats to everyone involved with the film and getting it to this point.

Hopefully one day other distributors like Eleven Arts, Funimaion, etc can learn from them, so we can see more anime films getting wider recognition. They just know how to work the festival/awards circuit.

The past few years especially have had some great films (Your Name, A Silent Voice, In This Corner of the World, Liz and the Blue Bird, Maquia, etc...) so the potential is definitely there even without Ghibli, but GKIDS can't license them all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3