• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rising of the Shield Hero English Dub Debuts, Future Episodes to Debut Simultaneously With Japanese

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Thats Great but why was it delayed in the first place?

If anyboy who saw the premiere of the first ep of the dub last year and sees it again. do you think you can spot differences ? thanks?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

If anyboy who saw the premiere of the first ep of the dub last year and sees it again. do you think you can spot differences ? thanks?

I'm kind of curious about that too. They obviously had the materials and were working on it if they can have multiple episodes uploaded at once, and it doesn't seem like there was a problem with delayed materials if they can commit to having them ready on the same day as the simulcasts going forward.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Nice, somehow I missed or forgot the original dub cast announcement, always up for hearing more Erica Mendez.

And Billy's been a lot of fun as Josuke in Jojo so far as well as good voice for Yuya in the re-dub of AICO.
Daeat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I assume Pst since it's done in LA?
and is it today the 13th or 20th?
(edit) today.... so new question... is funimation still getting it since its not up?
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

I think it might be to do with the music. I've seen the first episode and they've done an English cover for the OP and I heard the song in episode 4 is different as well. If all the Japanese vocal tracks are going to be replaced then that would easily delay a simuldubbing schedule. They probably kept recording the characters lines so the music was the last thing and if it's going to be released week to week from now on then maybe that means there are no more insert songs to be dubbed.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

maybe it wasn't for a technical reason as much as a marketing one. you know, just like the smartphone companies release their new X model only to release the smaller Xs 3 weeks to a couple months later, it helps them stay on the news (and in peoples conversations) for a longer spam
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Is it still going to be released dubbed on Funimation?
Sheupe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:

I want to know that as well. It’s not on FunimationNow at the moment
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:

Sheupe wrote:
Richmyster84 wrote:

I want to know that as well. It’s not on FunimationNow at the moment

No. Crunchyroll has the rights and Bang Zoom are the studio dubbing it. The first 6 episodes are available dubbed on Crunchyrolls website and the series, from now on, will be keeping pace with the Japanese version.
squirrelmecha-2.0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, The dub is pretty good so far
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm not really a fan of the OP, but great respect for producing an English version. I miss that from 80's/90's anime like Bubblegum Crisis and Tenchi Muyo. You get two versions to choose from.

Though when it's Jojo, you might get a good English alt version from Japan anyway.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
I am in a weird place with this because I am very curious about how an English dub could turn out and am at a point in my life where a lot of JP voices sound too much of the same for their own good...

But this is one of those series I jumped into with a little bit of faith despite friends who disliked how things developed in the light novels (and I guess there is a web comic too?) I am admittedly less concerned about the use of false sexual assault or slaves as party members, and more concerned with how quickly this show is turning into the very worst kind of wish fulfillment Isekai harem show. Do I really want to watch episode 5 again, but this time in English? Guess we will see...
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:17 am Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
I am in a weird place with this because I am very curious about how an English dub could turn out and am at a point in my life where a lot of JP voices sound too much of the same for their own good...

But this is one of those series I jumped into with a little bit of faith despite friends who disliked how things developed in the light novels (and I guess there is a web comic too?) I am admittedly less concerned about the use of false sexual assault or slaves as party members, and more concerned with how quickly this show is turning into the very worst kind of wish fulfillment Isekai harem show. Do I really want to watch episode 5 again, but this time in English? Guess we will see...

Shield Hero isn't really a harem series at all (I'm speaking as someone up to date on the English releases of the light novels) and I'm not sure what you mean by "worst kind of wish fulfillment". The light novels aren't finished and they majorly diverged from the web novel early on by introducing new characters and entire new story arcs fleshing out the world and the anime is directly adapting the light novels. If anything Raphtalia is the only one that actually likes Naofumi like that while Filo just views him as her father figure and there's only 2 other characters later on introduced that like him and that's not until several story arcs later, and other side characters get their own love interests. Not every female character is going to pine over Naofumi and he's just frankly not interested in women, so you really don't need to worry about that haha.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Shield Hero isn't really a harem series at all

[...] while Filo just views him as her father figure

That's a harem trope though.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
Shield Hero isn't really a harem series at all

[...] while Filo just views him as her father figure

That's a harem trope though.

You ignored everything else I said just to try to point out that? I can assure you, Filo isn't part of a "harem" and she's strictly treated as an ally/daughter figure in the scheme of the series, if anything later on she gets shipped with another female character around her age. This is a series focused on telling a grand plot with many big plot twists and epic battles, it does not try to play into "Harem" tropes at all even if that's how you're viewing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2