• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Anime Gets New Series on Netflix

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:37 am Reply with quote
Didn't the winter special that aired cover the entirety of the manga?
alconnow_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:53 am Reply with quote
Yay more Saiki.
I hope Netflix gets the rights to the live-action movie. I really want to watch it.

Last edited by alconnow_ on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
TJQ15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Didn't the winter special that aired cover the entirety of the manga?

Actually they skipped about a volume or two of material entirely and some other chapters were briefly summarized in the special.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
I should be happy about more of the series getting animated, but the happiness this could bring is nothing compared to the annoyance at Netflix stealing Saiki from Funimation. I'd honestly rather have less than deal with Netflix. (Actually I have no idea if season two and the special are even on Netflix outside of Japan, but I really don't care.)
alconnow_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:57 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
I should be happy about more of the series getting animated, but the happiness this could bring is nothing compared to the annoyance at Netflix stealing Saiki from Funimation. I'd honestly rather have less than deal with Netflix. (Actually I have no idea if season two and the special are even on Netflix outside of Japan, but I really don't care.)

The special episodes were added on Netflix this month. I understand your frustration. Netflix didn’t even bother translating the episode titles... Also, I hate how they wait until the end of the season (or more) to release the episodes. I went elsewhere to watch the special episodes as I got fed up waiting for Netflix to release them.
Brack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:21 am Reply with quote
Episode title cards aside, the Netflix subtitles are much better than Funimation's. Compare the bad video game episode if you want a good example of how Funimation struggled with the show.

Neither are perfect though, as I think you'd need a player capable of handling subtitles better than either site has to truly do the show justice.

What Netflix definitely did for the show outside of Japan (and possibly inside too) was find it an audience that it wasn't finding lost in the shuffle on Funimation's site.

Looking forward to more, as it's the rare anime comedy that I find eminently rewatchable in a way that a classic sitcom is to me.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhat surprised, given Netflix never bothered to commission a dub for the second series.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:51 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:

They're on but they're barely watchable compared to the dubbed version. Rapid fire comedy + visual gags + reading is not a mix ripe for entertainment.

I'm not against the idea of a continuation since as conclusions go, it didn't conclude much but I blame the second season for that as it switched from gag series to slice of life gag series, stopping several impersonal running gags in favor of personal ones that humanize Saiki. Then the last two episodes made fun of what its natural stopping would be and then went back to status quo so....

"Netflix, what do you mean by new series?" I need that answered first... it's the new series, it's the material they skipped, it's a total reboot, it's whatever Netflix is paying for. I know it's the last one but I don't know what that is.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, but I wish they had done this before the finale special, which covered the last chapters that ran in Shonen Jump. It will be awkward for the show to go back in time after that, but there's certainly enough material skipped by the previous seasons to fill 12 episodes or so. Also, I'm hoping to see the two Jump GIGA chapters adapted, since they're the manga's actual conclusion.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Episode title cards aside, the Netflix subtitles are much better than Funimation's. Compare the bad video game episode if you want a good example of how Funimation struggled with the show.

Neither are perfect though, as I think you'd need a player capable of handling subtitles better than either site has to truly do the show justice.

What Netflix definitely did for the show outside of Japan (and possibly inside too) was find it an audience that it wasn't finding lost in the shuffle on Funimation's site.

Looking forward to more, as it's the rare anime comedy that I find eminently rewatchable in a way that a classic sitcom is to me.

Yeah, I don't believe for a minute that Netflix can produce better subtitling than Funimation. You're basically saying you liked one translation better than the other, unless you're seriously suggesting that Netflix's subtitling text is somehow more attractive than Funimation's.

Netflix gave Saiki a broader audience outside Japan? Citation needed. Netflix 'stole' the rights to Saiki and virtually condemned it from getting any sort of western release, so how does that increase its accessibility? What, you just assume that every otaku in the world has a Netflix account?

Netflix needs to keep its greedy hands off of anime. Absolutely terrible news.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I figured most of Saiki had been animated, but I guess I was wrong. Nice to see Netflix putting money in to getting a series continued. Hopefully they do this more often.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:

Why Netflix didn't work with Funi to have the latter give more of the Saiki franchise an Eng. dub and the former stream it is beyond me. If this was the case, Funi defiantly would have done some tweet announcements saying something like "Though it is on Netflix now, more Saiki got an Eng. dub with the cast reprising their roles". Netflix would have probably just tweeted "More Saiki coming on [date]".

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 am Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Brack wrote:

Yeah, I don't believe for a minute that Netflix can produce better subtitling than Funimation. You're basically saying you liked one translation better than the other, unless you're seriously suggesting that Netflix's subtitling text is somehow more attractive than Funimation's.

Netflix gave Saiki a broader audience outside Japan? Citation needed. Netflix 'stole' the rights to Saiki and virtually condemned it from getting any sort of western release, so how does that increase its accessibility? What, you just assume that every otaku in the world has a Netflix account?

Netflix needs to keep its greedy hands off of anime. Absolutely terrible news.

I gave an example, and if you didn't check it out for yourself, then I'm probably a fool to try and argue with your prejudices.

But here's a comparison from that example. The Funimation subtitles didn't bother with on screen text in that episode, which is where some of the jokes lived.

As for some citation - https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&q=Saiki%20K

Interest in Saiki K spiked and sustained when Netflix picked it up.

And I am not assuming every otaku in the world has a Netflix account, because I am not limiting myself to the idea that only "otaku" can watch and enjoy anime.

Netflix brings anime to a much wider audience than a narrowcast site like Funimation or Crunchyroll can.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Why Netflix didn't work with Funi to have lattre give more of the Saiki franchise an Eng. dub and the former stream it is beyond me. If this was the case, Funi defiantly would have done some tweet announcements saying something like "Though it is on Netflix now, more Saiki got an Eng. dub with the cast reprising their roles". Netflix would have probably just tweeted "More Saiki coming on [date]".

What reason would Netflix have to work with a competitor? Funi does have a dubbing studio but they are primarily a licensing company with a competing streaming service. And what position would this put Funi in? Promoting a dub they did for a service that isn't Funimation Now would be odd.

What Netflix could have done is hired one of the numerous Texas-based dubbing studios that are run by active Funi VAs. They could've easily got the same cast, and hell, even director, back again. But that would require effort from Netflix to appease anime fans, and as the trends have indicated, they do not seem care about those. If we do get a dub I am willing to bet it will be Bang Zoom one with an all new cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1