• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (TV + movie).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote

Season 01: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (TV)
Season 02 (1st half): That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (TV 2) (discussion starts here)
Season 02 (2nd half): That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (TV 3) (discussion starts here)
Movie: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: Scarlet Bond (movie)
Season 03: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (TV 4) (discussion starts here)

Spinoff: Slime Diaries: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (TV) (discussed here)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 21 volumes, written by Fuse, illustrated by Mitz Vah)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: 8 bit

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: isekai, reincarnation

Plot Summary: Satoru Mikami's life was pretty ordinary: at age 37, he was coasting along with a decent job but no girlfriend. That all changed when he was stabbed to death in broad daylight, and his final thoughts were translated into special abilities in his next life.

Reborn in a fantasy world, Satoru now has a wide variety of skills and powers available to him, but the downside is that he's no longer human. Instead, he's become a blue slime monster, and is alone in a cave full of magical plants and minerals, or so he thinks until he runs into a giant dragon named Verudora. Satoru and Verudora soon become friends, but there's a violent world waiting for them outside the cave.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: October 10, 2018 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02 (1st half) : Janauary, 12, 2021 (Tuesday)

Season 02 (2nd half): July 6, 2021 (Tuesday)

Movie: November 25, 2022 (Friday)

Season 03: April 5, 2024 (Friday)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 25 episodes
Season 02: 24 episodes
Move: 108 minutes
Season 03: Pending

Total: 49 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Classic isekai tropes here with the MC getting transported to another world after being reincarnated as a...slime. I like the humor of this so far although it may take me awhile to get used to the slime's voice.

Glad they got a good amount of humor into the first episode though as that was I was looking for. Neat episode so far. And it's 2 cour so plenty of storytelling to come.

Oh and the OP song is actually rather catchy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
That is right, wash away the bad memories of The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar, give me something good. I don't really know anything about this series, I had seen some ads for the source material, the name caught my eye as an interesting concept, and the character designs are also super interesting. So I kind of had some expectations that I would like the anime adaption, which I could have a fresh experience with, and this first episode totally delivered.

I like fantasy stuff, and on top of that I am kind of fascinated by going the step forward with the monster races/creatures. One thing I quite liked in Grimgar, was how it added touches for goblins as being more than mindless, things to make them feel human, and this series seems to be adding in goblins next episode. Main character being a slime, the lesser cousin of the Ooze, is a fun concept, I am interested to see where this will go. Although, not a fault of the show since its source material is first, but as a D&D nerd the Wizards of the Coast just recently released a new category of Ooze called an Oblex, which can take on human form, regardless can't see light like the main character here, and absorbs to get stronger, in the sense that it eats mind and body of a target to impersonate. Not seeing how he will get a human form, I likely incorrectly am imagining the main character eating the owner of the cute form he will take. But this is barely relevant except for my own thoughts. Just kind of wondering now if his incredibly fast increase of power defeats the purpose of putting him on the lowest rung of fantasy creatures. In D&D they are counted as an item or hazard rather than an actual monster.

I am pretty sure that this is a harem anime, which in one way had me impatiently waiting for the cute girls to show up. But in another I kind of love that so much focus was put on the concept of being a Slime, and the first character being a male character, a dragon tsundere who he is totally going to be bros with. I am up for whatever this show is going to be.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
There's much more male characters than female, not to mention the girls don't look especially attractive, very plain self inserts, this is clearly not a harem.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I'm definitely getting more used to the slime's voice now. Veldora is still pretty damn amusing to watch with its personality and the way he reacted to getting his name.

Also got to see more of the slime demonstrating his abilities. He even got the name "Rimuru" this episode. I also find the amount of mechanics kinda interesting considering how much he can do as a slime. Also about time we meet some of the other adventurers in the world.

Goblins make their appearances too! We're getting more and more content introduced in this series which I think is cool.

Hope they also expand more on the world building. Still a very entertaining episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
Kind of funny when he spoke loudly, presumably from being by himself and acclimating to a high level dungeon. Was wondering whether he could use his heat sense to see the invisible people. Still, working his way up from a struggling goblin village, I am interested to see what progress he can do from there, after he has become totally broken.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
Kind of funny when he spoke loudly, presumably from being by himself and acclimating to a high level dungeon. Was wondering whether he could use his heat sense to see the invisible people. Still, working his way up from a struggling goblin village, I am interested to see what progress he can do from there, after he has become totally broken.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
OMG, Episode 4 was hilarious. Especially the last scene, he was melting so much.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

It took me a bit to notice that the ED was actually new to the series, at least in animation, and it seemed quite heavy with Oni characters, that have not appeared yet, so I hope that maybe will come soon. I do have a soft spot for Oni.

The fantasy geek in me, kind of conflicted on some of the characterisation of the dwarves, lacking in some of the areas that often make the dwarves characterisation, with the exception of probably the head architect guy. For one, dwarf culture needs beards to be a big thing, some fantasy series even have it that female dwarves can grow beards, but there was a sure lack of fantastic beards going on. The apparent king of the dwarves, for whatever reason he looked more human than a dwarf, the same for the governor and such, kind of creating this image of dwarves being pushed around by humans, which is ridiculous in for even the appearance in most fantasy settings that they might do so willingly. Added with Elves, which seem to be mingling in well, come on, if you have both, you have to use them for contrast. Would say my favourite fantasy setting have the idea that the number one thing a dwarf cares about is its job as an art, and being the number one artist at that job, which somewhat came across the one dwarf guy, plus family/clan, that exile would be the worst.

Would say it was satisfying when the king confronted the governor in screwing up a potential useful ally. And the king seems to want to follow our little slime to figure him out.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
There's actually a reason why the elves are there and it gets explained MUCH later on. The King and the Minister are both 5'5 or there abouts and are considered tall by dwarf standards with Vesta being a seen as much more svelte than the usual dwarf. This has been attributed by some do to him being more of a researcher and minister than an blacksmith or warrior.
llunga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting in anticipation for each upcoming episode. Kaijin is becoming a favorite simply because spoiler[asking Rimuru to run away together] touched my heart just a tiny bit. Kaijin is better off now. Wish I could say the same for Gobta.

I'm sure Vesta will come back with a vengeance considering characters like him never turn out to be an actual, "good guy" but a bad guy pretending to be good.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
...for me, its something new. Slime is cute, and those ,mindless Monsters` from other Anime / mmo have Feelings to. Interesting Note: only some of those Humans seems dto be Rassists. My favorite Line until now: "Oh, ok, if you insist, i got with you to the Elven Brothel. Hmpf… *drools*"
llunga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
When did Gobta get so cool?!! Rimuru gives him respect then he lowers it quickly another subtle hint of sizing up employees at work. Rimuru's reaction to seeing the one destined to be with him was like, spoiler["Welp, guess that's her".]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 24.5 (finale)

Hmm, they chose to end it on a recap episode? That can work at times, but I don't think was done well enough to actually watch the last episode. As far as I can tell, the only thing it offered was some possibly joke insights that the dragon was looking forward to meeting Rimuru, that Ifrit was apparently a fan of the demon lord who put him into Shizu, and that Shizu has another disciple out there. I am going to assume then that the girl at the end of the previous episode and this, is likely that disciple.

I liked the show, I though it had some pretty good parts, and I am a general fan of fantasy, but I am not a total fan of how this show handled some of its fantasy stuff. Sure it can do its own world building and stuff, but I think that it felt a little unsophisticated with how it did some of that. Particularly not a fan of how it extra anime-fied monstrous characters when they levelled up. Turning the goblins into hobgoblins which were mostly just sexy green people with pointed ears. Why turn the monstrous featured Oni into just looking like people with horns? Fine if that way from the start, but it is going backwards from making interesting monster characters already into the show just to humans with bare features. The worst was probably turning the lizard girl into just a human girl with dragon wings and horn.

Maybe this won't bother other people so much, but to me it is a big sin. The one big thing this series could have done was showing a collection of these monster races joining together into an interesting alliance, them being not quite human, but still able to get along. In the end all of the choices to transform the monsters into people, stinks of having no confidence that thing could work. Because deal is that in fantasy, monsters are distinguished as different from each other and humans, not only by looks, but nature. But here, it feels like in the end that Dwarves really were just normal people, despite the sort of mountain setting of their city and master crafters, the king and the politician guy, where was their characteristic dwarven pride? Elves as a hostess club in a dwarf city, are you kidding me? Lizard people without lizard brain, sure not important as not all lizard people have to be the same in different settings, but still not much there. I don't think there was any characterisation of the orcs, just something about famine, nothing about maybe their stockier frames mean they prize strength. I am sure more could have been done with the Japanese like Oni. And the Goblins just became people in the end, like their village it just becomes made of stuff Rimuru liked from modern Japan, and nothing to say it had any personality of an origin among goblins.

The contrast especially exists as this show started running at the same time Goblin Slayer did. And although I understand a very difference of tones, and the subjectivity of something like fun. But I would say GS got the how to differentiate races right, with what few it had, like the dwarf and elf butting heads, and the lizard man sort of different from others. It just becomes less interesting when they lose their characteristics.

Still, I am not totally negative with the show, I watched and liked it, it was fun and cool at times. I guess it did things that act as a good wish fulfilment fantasy, with an overpowered protagonist that was different from the standard. Managed to make itself a rather easy show to watch and follow, with its rather simple gags/. I give it a rating of Good (7/10), maybe worth a bit more, but it kind of feels like I would be rewarding it for things I did not like. But it is probably worth that for those not bothered by the things I was.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:45 am Reply with quote
I also gave this a Good rating. I really liked Rimuru, he was kind, energetic and kinda goofy. Overall I feel like the show started off strong, its first half was heart-warming and fun. The faster pace in the second half took away from some of the show's charm and wasn't as fun as the first half.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Why turn the monstrous featured Oni into just looking like people with horns? Fine if that way from the start, but it is going backwards from making interesting monster characters already into the show just to humans with bare features.

Eh, I liked the upgraded Oni designs more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3