• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - My Roommate is a Cat is a Must-See for Kitty Lovers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Watched this show with my girlfriend who doesn’t watch anime, we both loved it! Hope we can see more some day, or at least the manga gets released in English.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
"By being an annoying little shit..."

HOW DARE YOU CALL THIS PERFECT CINNAMON ROLL OF A CAT THAT LOVES HER OWNER SO MUCH SHE'S WILLING TO SACRIFICE HER CRUNCHIES SO HE EATS AN ANNOYING LITTLE SHIT?! [/edrant]

In all seriousness, series of the season. Haru is one of the best cats, and best girl of the season. And I WILL FIGHT ANYONE TO THE DEATH about it.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I love Haru's facial expressions. Taro is also adorable.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
The whole "cats randomly freak out and attack thin air" meme is kind of interesting, because I've never seen a cat get startled or go on the assault for literally no reason. Usually they're reacting to a really faint noise from outside (sometimes another cat yowling from like a mile away), or a tiny gnat flying around that their human didn't notice. They're naturally hyper-vigilant towards anything that might indicate there's some prey nearby; if your cat suddenly seems obsessed with the fridge or a heating grate or something, they may have heard a mouse sneaking around back there.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The whole "cats randomly freak out and attack thin air" meme is kind of interesting, because I've never seen a cat get startled or go on the assault for literally no reason.

It may not be no reason, sure. However, i've had a cat go from resting soundly to literally trying to do flips off walls/climb curtains and generally run a marathon with seemingly no external stimulus causing it.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I've been really enjoying this series. I hope that it gets a 2nd season and/or the manga gets licensed. Haven't seen the last couple of episodes yet, but looking forward to finishing this series off. If/when this gets a physical release, I'll be adding it to my anime collection.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
i figured I'd like this show to some degree but I ended up liking it way more than I expected. I do think this show does a great job of showing someone with severe anxiety and working to get better dealing with things. Really hope the manga gets licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:44 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
The whole "cats randomly freak out and attack thin air" meme is kind of interesting, because I've never seen a cat get startled or go on the assault for literally no reason.

It may not be no reason, sure. However, i've had a cat go from resting soundly to literally trying to do flips off walls/climb curtains and generally run a marathon with seemingly no external stimulus causing it.

Some cats, especially house cats, just need to burn off a little energy in a quick burst. My house cat likes to run upstairs and then charge back down the stairs, through the living room, into the kitchen and slide across the linoleum before crashing into the cabinets. Then he gets up and does it all over again. He also loves to work away at his round scratching pad even though he's declawed (not my doing, I adopted him that way). He's a skinny little guy, but I always keep his bowl full since he burns it off so quickly.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:23 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The whole "cats randomly freak out and attack thin air" meme is kind of interesting, because I've never seen a cat get startled or go on the assault for literally no reason. Usually they're reacting to a really faint noise from outside (sometimes another cat yowling from like a mile away), or a tiny gnat flying around that their human didn't notice. They're naturally hyper-vigilant towards anything that might indicate there's some prey nearby; if your cat suddenly seems obsessed with the fridge or a heating grate or something, they may have heard a mouse sneaking around back there.

The idea may come from hyperesthesia which is a fairly common and usually harmless disorder in cats. Cats with hyperesthesia will sometimes jump as if startled or were suddenly stung, and even run as if something were chasing them. They will also get twitchy, especially on their lower back, suddenly frantically groom themselves, or thump their feet. From the human perspective, it's randomly freaking out for no reason, but the disorder seems to make the cat feel a sudden itch, tickle, or sting.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
TexZero wrote:
kotomikun wrote:

Some cats, especially house cats, just need to burn off a little energy in a quick burst. My house cat likes to run upstairs and then charge back down the stairs, through the living room, into the kitchen and slide across the linoleum before crashing into the cabinets. Then he gets up and does it all over again. He also loves to work away at his round scratching pad even though he's declawed (not my doing, I adopted him that way). He's a skinny little guy, but I always keep his bowl full since he burns it off so quickly.

Emerje

Your house is haunted.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
The thing that that this series, "Highschool DxD", "Fairy Tail", "How not to Summon a Demon Lord", "Silver Guardian", "Strike Witches", and "Steins;Gate" all share is that Jād Saxton played a cat or cat-girl in the Eng. dubs for these anime. Whether or not it was intended for her to play Haru because "Jād has voiced a few other cat or cat girls, so here is another" or it was just coincidental is anyone's guess.

Outside of agoraphobia, does anyone have an idea as to what forms of social anxiety Subaru may have were he real? I can somewhat relate to him seeing I have a form of social ineptness through my Asperger's. However, if Subaru was real, I think he would be more socially inept than m
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1