• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2202 Anime Gets New Sequel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy this new line of Space Battleship Yamato, so this is good news. Funimation's dub for it is decent, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the last four episodes of 2202 yet, but if there's a sequel coming up, I can only assume it didn't end the same way as the Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato movie. Whatever story they're telling next, I hope it's better than The New Voyage, which was when the original iteration of the franchise started going downhill to me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I would be more excited about these news if 2202 was not as up and down as it is. Still, I am glad to see how successful the resurrection of Space Battleship Yamato has been. I hope that this eventually leads to a remake of the 1978 Captain Harlock tv series.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Having just watched the original third season and other sequel movies over the past year, I'd say they might as well go 100% original content at this point. I enjoyed Yamato III a lot for what it was, but there's nothing about it that I'm keen to see remade.

That said, the Final Yamato movie has the enemy general riding a robot unicorn that shoots lasers from its horn. If that's not anime gold, I don't know what is.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Yamato 2202 differed quite a bit from the original Yamato 2 series, so it's anybody's guess how this next one will pan out.
macloud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote
If you listen carefully you can hear the sound of Tim Elfdred squeeing in delight
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I haven't watched the last four episodes of 2202 yet, but if there's a sequel coming up, I can only assume it didn't end the same way as the Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato movie. Whatever story they're telling next, I hope it's better than The New Voyage, which was when the original iteration of the franchise started going downhill to me.

Personally, I liked New Voyage and Be Forever, and then started going downhill with Yamato III (way too much of a carbon copy of the original series in base plot) and kept going with Final Yamato (way too many unnecessary plot points in it) and ultimately Resurrection (did I see something akin to a Galaxy Railways antagonist in there?). In those three productions the threats to Earth started coming way too frequently and went from ridiculous to just plain stupid.

angelmcazares wrote:
I would be more excited about these news if 2202 was not as up and down as it is. Still, I am glad to see how successful the resurrection of Space Battleship Yamato has been. I hope that this eventually leads to a remake of the 1978 Captain Harlock tv series.

How much of it have you seen? I've seen right through its entirety (including five screenings of Chapter 7 in Japan over the past four weeks), and I think the last three chapters really pick it up from where in Chapter 3 we had been asking a lot of questions of it.

nDroae wrote:
Having just watched the original third season and other sequel movies over the past year, I'd say they might as well go 100% original content at this point. I enjoyed Yamato III a lot for what it was, but there's nothing about it that I'm keen to see remade.

That said, the Final Yamato movie has the enemy general riding a robot unicorn that shoots lasers from its horn. If that's not anime gold, I don't know what is.

Beltane70 wrote:
Yamato 2202 differed quite a bit from the original Yamato 2 series, so it's anybody's guess how this next one will pan out.

It differed from both Yamato 2 and Saraba Yamato (the latter of which it borrowed more heavily from in plot and aesthetic than the former), but yes, it did create its own story as well.

In his most recent Yamatour travelogue, Tim mentioned that during his dinner with Nobuyoshi Habara, Habara-san mentioned that it was a condition of his taking the job on that he could set up New Voyage. I can see where that's happened in Chapter 7, but whether it eventuates is another matter. That said, Harutoshi Fukui is returning as writer on the new project, so there's at least an even-money chance it will progress that way.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote
So Space Battleship Yamato III/ The Bolar Wars.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
So Space Battleship Yamato III/ The Bolar Wars.

Good grief I hope not. That was terrible on every count and no matter what language you saw it in.

Besides, we don't know yet whether it will be a single movie (like Ark of the Stars) a series of movies, or a series of movies that are broken down into episodes for later TV broadcast (like 2199 or 2202). The story clearly says nothing has been announced on the format.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

How much of it have you seen? I've seen right through its entirety (including five screenings of Chapter 7 in Japan over the past four weeks), and I think the last three chapters really pick it up from where in Chapter 3 we had been asking a lot of questions of it.

22 episodes (watching Funimation's dub). I was excited after the first 3-4 episodes, but the stuff about the Gatlantians confused me and disappointed me. The second half has been better overall, but weak episodes still show up. Fortunately episodes 21 and 22 have given me hope that the ending could be well done.

I still consider 2202 a solid show, but it is 2 or 3 steps below from the excellent 2199, which I really, really love.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
A pleasant surprise. 2202 hasn't been quite as good as 2199, but it's still very entertaining.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
One thing that really needs to be addressed in the new series is spoiler[Yuki's memories and appearance. Is she an alien, a clone or something else. They've been dragging that plot line out waaaaaay too long. ]
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
One thing that really needs to be addressed in the new series is spoiler[Yuki's memories and appearance. Is she an alien, a clone or something else. They've been dragging that plot line out waaaaaay too long. ]

Well, spoiler[ the Yuki-is-an-alien thing was officially resolved in 2199, as was her appearance - like the original, it was mere coincidence. ]. As for spoiler[Yuki's memories, they play their own interesting role right up to the last episode - sounds like you haven't reached Chapter 6 (Episodes 19-22) yet.]
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:

Well, spoiler[ the Yuki-is-an-alien thing was officially resolved in 2199, as was her appearance - like the original, it was mere coincidence. ]. As for spoiler[Yuki's memories, they play their own interesting role right up to the last episode - sounds like you haven't reached Chapter 6 (Episodes 19-22) yet.]

I've seen all episodes of 2022, aside from the final 5. Does this plot in anyway get resolved in those 5 episodes?
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
getumbuck wrote:

I've seen all episodes of 2022, aside from the final 5. Does this plot in anyway get resolved in those 5 episodes?

spoiler[It does. I won't say anything further than that.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2