• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Netflix's Ultraman Worth Watching?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I watched the 1st couple of episodes and I absolutely loved it
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Netflix Ultraman was kind of a slow start and it took me awhile to get adjusted to the CGI, but I was really impressed by the end and I feel like it's one of the better CGI anime I've seen. I say this as someone who hasn't seen much of Ultraman so I came into this as a newbie fan. I just really enjoyed the character drama and some of the heavier themes it focused on.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The bad CG kills it. Watch Gridman instead if you want an anime based on a toku series.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
It has better CG than The Dragon Prince and better fight scenes, so it crosses the average.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the show so I can't pass judgment on that, but I do agree that the new Ultraman design (from the manga this is based on) goes too far in the direction of trying to make him look more obviously "mainstream cool". Some of the other designs are a lot better, so it's too bad they didn't push a little further - even if they didn't want to go with the traditional ol' egg eyes, just more rounded eyes in general might've worked.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, that's kind of where I sit on this series. OG Ultraman pretty much codified the giant hero genre in toku, and it's a shame to just throw that legacy out the window in favor of off-brand Iron Man

That's on Tsuburaya. The authors wanted to have the Giant stuff but Tsuburaya said nope.
Shinjiro definitely gets over his quirks in the manga but given they shuffled things order wise at where I'm at already, not sure which volume they cover up until to.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
You have no idea how upset this makes me as a fan of the manga. The manga is fast paced and fun. The first few volumes in particular are light and funny (it does get darker tone wise later on, but not nearly as bleak as the anime sounds, or perhaps the rapport built in early volumes keeps it from feeling too bleak). Yes, the manga-ka seem inspired by American comic book movie tropes, but it felt to me like it borrowed more from Men in Black and the original Spider-Man than the recent grim D.C. fare: teen discovers superpowers, has a bit of fun with them, fights some bad guys, tries to get a girlfriend who's more interested in his superhero persona than him, with an aliens-are-secretly-on-earth plot that, at least initially, has as many silly moments as serious ones.

So, I'm gonna be one of *those* fans: don't judge the manga by its anime adaptation, and give the manga a chance!
Martin G.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:19 am Reply with quote
I can live with the design and the rather bland CGI look of the show but I just can't get over the atrocious fps rate when the characters move. It hurts my eyes. Why the fudge is the movement so choppy? No other cgi show does that to that degree, not even the boring Cyborg 009 Netflix series by the same director. This doesn't bode well for the Ghost In The Shell series by the same team.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:30 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, that's kind of where I sit on this series. OG Ultraman pretty much codified the giant hero genre in toku, and it's a shame to just throw that legacy out the window in favor of off-brand Iron Man

That's on Tsuburaya. The authors wanted to have the Giant stuff but Tsuburaya said nope.
Shinjiro definitely gets over his quirks in the manga but given they shuffled things order wise at where I'm at already, not sure which volume they cover up until to.

I heard Tsuburaya themselves requested the human-sized Ultraman for the manga version, with a more serious take ("...characters that go through internal struggles".) The mangakas accepted the challenge.
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2015-09-17/mangaka-eiichi-shimizu-and-tomohiro-shimoguchi/.93057

IIRC the anime roughly covered the 1st 8 volumes. (Feel free to correct if you think this is wrong.)
Presently there's 13 volumes in Japan.

Quote:
...here (Hokuto) makes a big stink about protecting an alien girl who gets like five seconds of screentime. That's a great tactic for getting the audience invested in your emotional hook; why bother having an alien (or a girl) actually do things in the show when some random Ultraman boy can talk about her like an abstract concept instead before dropping it completely.

Hokuto and his childhood friend are still an ongoing plotline in the manga; the mysteries of their past are still unresolved of now. In fact, I'd say the manga's still weaving its many plot threads, but yet to tie them all together.

Nick and Micchy should also note Hokuto's plotline opens up the story's true conspiracy implications, which sadly are still ongoing in the manga.
saihamaru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:40 am Reply with quote
i watched ultraman since seven and i'm loving this one too
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that Josh Hutchinson is voicing the main character yet Netflix and himself have not advertised it at all. I guess people will watch regardless of who the VAs are.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
brammerhammer23 wrote:
I find it interesting that Josh Hutchinson is voicing the main character yet Netflix and himself have not advertised it at all. I guess people will watch regardless of who the VAs are.

It's not like Hutcherson's career has been doing very well since the Hunger Games movies ended. His current Hulu show, Future Man, is set to end after just three seasons.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
GNPixie wrote:
Quote:

I heard Tsuburaya themselves requested the human-sized Ultraman for the manga version, with a more serious take ("...characters that go through internal struggles".) The mangakas accepted the challenge.
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2015-09-17/mangaka-eiichi-shimizu-and-tomohiro-shimoguchi/.93057

IIRC the anime roughly covered the 1st 8 volumes. (Feel free to correct if you think this is wrong.)
Presently there's 13 volumes in Japan.

Quote:
...here (Hokuto) makes a big stink about protecting an alien girl who gets like five seconds of screentime. That's a great tactic for getting the audience invested in your emotional hook; why bother having an alien (or a girl) actually do things in the show when some random Ultraman boy can talk about her like an abstract concept instead before dropping it completely.

Hokuto and his childhood friend are still an ongoing plotline in the manga; the mysteries of their past are still unresolved of now. In fact, I'd say the manga's still weaving its many plot threads, but yet to tie them all together.

Nick and Micchy should also note Hokuto's plotline opens up the story's true conspiracy implications, which sadly are still ongoing in the manga.
Just finished the anime and thought it was great. So what you're telling me is that there probably isn't enough material for a second season any time soon at the rate the manga is going?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was entertaining enough, and I'd definitely watch a second season if the manga accumulated enough material for it, but I really wish the show had a consistent frame rate. The fight scenes looked great, but as soon as the characters started to stand around and talk, the frame rate dropped and the show looked as lackluster as most CG anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1