• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Microsoft to Launch Xbox One S 'All-Digital Edition' in May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
I guess for people that want an Xbox One S and aren't fans of physical discs, this may be a good idea. However, for people like my husband and myself who doesn't like/can't play/refuse to play online-only games, this is rather useless.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
I prefer physical media, from game discs to CDs.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Many an Xbox 360 continues to live an afterlife as a set top box that can maybe play games sometimes. As the price comes down on this model, I wonder if this'll serve that purpose nicely too. Although many of those aforementioned 360s were the kid's old system the parents kept around...
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This is also to lower the barrier of entry further for the inevitable streaming service. I'm guessing Microsoft will also release an even cheaper device.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
You know I think I’ve been changing my stance on this thing for awhile now. Digital clearly is the future ,the only real thing holding us back is data caps and internet speeds,and the fact that many places aren’t even being serviced period.

But yeah ,in a way I’m kinda glad this is still coming out.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess used games will be a thing of the past (along with the lower prices of used games) Will also have to have a separate device to play Blurays and DVDs.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
You know I think I’ve been changing my stance on this thing for awhile now. Digital clearly is the future ,the only real thing holding us back is data caps and internet speeds,and the fact that many places aren’t even being serviced period.

I've got a PS4, but I don't need to stream games via PSNow just because, like, you have to, man, it's streaming!

OTOH, I give preference to buying my permanent-download games through the Digital store, simply because--ahem, UNLIKE MOVIES!!* Mad --the "temporary" ephemeral status of downloaded games works perfectly for games. With rare exceptions, I'm probably not going to keep any that I've finished.
Price is the reason I usually ended up buying used Gamestop copies instead, and even they admit they're doing more business from folks treating them like a "pawnshop" for used disks.

(* - Seriously, the industry's been beating its head against the wall for eight years as to why Blu-ray movies refuse to follow the "script" of Digital taking over every other media:
Probably because I buy songs rather than full CD's, I prefer reading magazines and newspapers on the tablet, it's easier to download an e-Book than lug one home from the library, and I'd rather surf Netflix than watch cable TV, BUT no one's laying a hand on my rare AnimEigo DVD collection if they want it back again!)
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
ARC-1300 wrote:

I've got a PS4, but I don't need to stream games via PSNow just because, like, you have to, man, it's streaming!

OTOH, I give preference to buying my permanent-download games through the Digital store, simply because--ahem, UNLIKE MOVIES!!* Mad --the "temporary" ephemeral status of downloaded games works perfectly for games. With rare exceptions, I'm probably not going to keep any that I've finished.
Price is the reason I usually ended up buying used Gamestop copies instead, and even they admit they're doing more business from folks treating them like a "pawnshop" for used disks.

(* - Seriously, the industry's been beating its head against the wall for eight years as to why Blu-ray movies refuse to follow the "script" of Digital taking over every other media:
Probably because I buy songs rather than full CD's, I prefer reading magazines and newspapers on the tablet, it's easier to download an e-Book than lug one home from the library, and I'd rather surf Netflix than watch cable TV, BUT no one's laying a hand on my rare AnimEigo DVD collection if they want it back again!)

Yeah it’s interesting how we all have these rules on how we will accept our digital media. Like how we will easily download music instead of collecting them ( I’ve certainly transitioned to this without a hitch ). The Nintendo switch barring 2 exceptions before I went through with it , is my first all digital console ( which is interesting because Nintendo’s transition to digital media and the internet had been pretty bad) and I can’t say I miss physical copies. Just my 2 cents.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:05 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Yeah it’s interesting how we all have these rules on how we will accept our digital media. Like how we will easily download music instead of collecting them ( I’ve certainly transitioned to this without a hitch ). The Nintendo switch barring 2 exceptions before I went through with it , is my first all digital console ( which is interesting because Nintendo’s transition to digital media and the internet had been pretty bad) and I can’t say I miss physical copies. Just my 2 cents.

The big mistake that studios still can't grasp about Physical vs. Digital acceptance for movies vs. music, games, magazines, etc., is that they don't really understand most of the technical theories, but they did finally catch on that MP3 music was more popular than CD, because you could only buy the one song you wanted, and play it on your cellphone wherever you went.

And for seven years, studios pleadingly tried to sell us on, "But don't you want to be able to buy your favorite movies and TV episodes, and take them with you on your cellphone wherever you go?"
Umm, NO Confused ...Where exactly would I be taking them??
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:12 am Reply with quote
I might be interested in the XBox One S if only it would let me hook up an external Blu-Ray drive via USB to play physical media XBox One games.

I have an external Blu-Ray drive I'm not using for much of anything these days since the optical drive-less netbook I bought it for bit the dust and I'm now on a laptop with an internal optical drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1