• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Punch Man Season 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The main thrust of the episode is the absurdity of the hero ranking system, where a B class like our Caped Baldy can mentor an S class like Genos, or where a respected S class like King is actually a total fraud. It turns out meritocracy is a complete sham, just like in real life!

If that's really what your supposed to get out of it, it's really bad at demonstrating that. The only reason Saitama is low rank is because he never claim his victory and concomitantly the only reason King is so high rank is because he keep getting credit for Saitama victory. If Saitama just bothered to speak up he'd be S rank and king wouldn't, he doesn't. The message end up being more "don't complain about a system that doesn't cater to your specific personality if you stubbornly refuse to learn how it work because the problem might be you".
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Quote:
The main thrust of the episode is the absurdity of the hero ranking system, where a B class like our Caped Baldy can mentor an S class like Genos, or where a respected S class like King is actually a total fraud. It turns out meritocracy is a complete sham, just like in real life!

If that's really what your supposed to get out of it, it's really bad at demonstrating that. The only reason Saitama is low rank is because he never claim his victory and concomitantly the only reason King is so high rank is because he keep getting credit for Saitama victory. If Saitama just bothered to speak up he'd be S rank and king wouldn't, he doesn't. The message end up being more "don't complain about a system that doesn't cater to your specific personality if you stubbornly refuse to learn how it work because the problem might be you".

That is the message since the people who are doing the Hero Ranking spend 40 minutes on naming to new heroes while spending 10 minutes on a mass murderer who is going to target heroes and they only send one guy to hunt him down (in a city). Also, it on the Hero Association to double check people claims, not just random people or the heroes. Since they give King S rank without testing him or anything
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
In today's internet anime landscape, if you don't agree with the public opinion, you´re somehow considered a heretic. If you go to reddit, 9 out of 10 comments put this season as if it was the worst piece of fiction ever, when it´s not. To me, it mostly looks right. I mean, we still have the interesting character designs on point and despite the slightly duller color palette, it doesn´t look like garbage. Though I have to agree that the action is directed in a way that loses any impact it could have because they skip some needed frames in the action scenes. For example, each time a character does a flip-flap jump, we only see the frame beginning the jump and the frame when they are on the floor. Or Saitama´s punch towards Sonic, which wasn´t even shown. It´s difficult to know what to expect out of the action scenes this season.

But I´m not watching OPM just for the action scenes as most anime viewers do. If you don´t watch the series for the superhero-parody aspect, then I don´t know what happens with you. I like King´s funny 'hero' story, even though it´s easily a one-off joke. It remains to be seen if the show will have its fun factor this season, since I´ve read some opinions stating that the manga chapters to be adapted lose the parody factor and go towards a typical shonen route. But if we get that tournament arc, I´ll anticipate the series more.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Jeez, tell us what you really think about politics...
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I haven't seen the first season in a while to really compare the two, but I thought the action scene in episode two was fine. Sure, it doesn't live up to the first season, but I still enjoyed it while I was watching it.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
My biggest complaint this season would be how tired Saitama's voice actor sounds. Season 1 had him sounding like a "normal" person that sounded notably bored but still emoted. So far in season 2 he just sounds perpetually emotionally drained, tonally flat and phoning in every line despite what's on screen. It's kinda more annoying than all the shaky stills and action lines that JC staff is putting in the action scenes.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
We can't blame the animators for the upper echelon choices that caused the downgrade in the show's production, but I think we can blame them for choosing to use their limited resources in lovingly animating the bounce of Fubuki's breasts instead of literally anything else.

Of course the downgrade is pretty bad, but the final product, without comparing it to the first season, is fairly okay. There's even a pretty good cut of animation during the Genos vs Sonic fight, even if the rest of it is just a bunch of still shots with speed effects. But the fact that they went out of their way to make Fubuki's boobs bounce does work in detriment of my goodwill towards the new creative team

Zerreth wrote:
My biggest complaint this season would be how tired Saitama's voice actor sounds. Season 1 had him sounding like a "normal" person that sounded notably bored but still emoted. So far in season 2 he just sounds perpetually emotionally drained, tonally flat and phoning in every line despite what's on screen. It's kinda more annoying than all the shaky stills and action lines that JC staff is putting in the action scenes.

I thought maybe I was imagining things, but I did also feel the line delivery was notably flat, especially in the scene where he gives the grand speech to Fubuki
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah... I hoped the change in Studio wouldn't hurt it too much but the drop in quality is pretty glaringly apparent.

Not the best return OPM could of had but I've got enough goodwill from S1 to gloss over the defects for now. Hopefully they inject a bit more of the original energy back into the animation at some point. Because at the moment it looks and feels like were stuck with the B-team.
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote
When will OPM fans realize Madhouse didn't even make S1 LOL

It was literally one director and all his reclusive freelance animators. Give me one Madhouse anime from the last 4 years since OPM ended that has any matching credits for animation with OPM. You'll find absolutely no one.

If OPM S1 was a success, Madhouse wasn't the reason. It was by sheer luck that the guy who was tasked with OPM S1 knew and convinced a bunch of God-like recluses to hop on the program. Animators who are usually hopping between studios, countries or even disappearing from the animation world entirely. The Garbagehouse meme needs to end. They're not a good studio, they've made trash product before and after OPM mainly consisting of speedlines and a general LACK of animation.

Badhouse is not the reason S1 looked good, but it is the meme "fans" will be shouting from the bruised concaves of their throats til the end of time. I hate S1 anyway for setting an unrealistic bar that of course an S2 could never get away with replicating. S2 looks PHENOMENAL by modern anime standards all on its own, with a priority placed on CONSISTENCY. Not like e-celeb worshiping Madhouse shills would ever know a thing about animation that didn't come from someone else's mouth.

Hivemind at its absolute worst. Think for yourself, don't let someone else think for you.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

Literally no one in this thread has mentioned Madhouse at all? Even the reviewer credits Natsume Shingo and his team of freelancers for the success of S1 so I have no idea of why you thought you needed a multi paragraph rant about how much Madhouse sucks. You clearly hate Madhouse viscerally and with every fiber of your being but that's pretty much beside anything being discussed here Confused
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

It was literally one director and all his reclusive freelance animators. Give me one Madhouse anime from the last 4 years since OPM ended that has any matching credits for animation with OPM. You'll find absolutely no one.

If OPM S1 was a success, Madhouse wasn't the reason. It was by sheer luck that the guy who was tasked with OPM S1 knew and convinced a bunch of God-like recluses to hop on the program. Animators who are usually hopping between studios, countries or even disappearing from the animation world entirely. The Garbagehouse meme needs to end. They're not a good studio, they've made trash product before and after OPM mainly consisting of speedlines and a general LACK of animation.

Badhouse is not the reason S1 looked good, but it is the meme "fans" will be shouting from the bruised concaves of their throats til the end of time. I hate S1 anyway for setting an unrealistic bar that of course an S2 could never get away with replicating. S2 looks PHENOMENAL by modern anime standards all on its own, with a priority placed on CONSISTENCY. Not like e-celeb worshiping Madhouse shills would ever know a thing about animation that didn't come from someone else's mouth.

Hivemind at its absolute worst. Think for yourself, don't let someone else think for you.

You sound just like angry hater. Madhouse did beat you in the childhood or what?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Literally no one in this thread has mentioned Madhouse at all? Even the reviewer credits Natsume Shingo and his team of freelancers for the success of S1 so I have no idea of why you thought you needed a multi paragraph rant about how much Madhouse sucks. You clearly hate Madhouse viscerally and with every fiber of your being but that's pretty much beside anything being discussed here Confused

But some have blamed the change in quality on the studio change and on JC Staff specifically rather than the staff change, here and elsewhere. Though I agree that pushing against the idea that it’s all JC Staff’s fault for the change doesn’t warrant such vitriol directed at Madhouse.
faboo95

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
But some have blamed the change in quality on the studio change and on JC Staff specifically rather than the staff change, here and elsewhere. Though I agree that pushing against the idea that it’s all JC Staff’s fault for the change doesn’t warrant such vitriol directed at Madhouse.

But a change in studio does mean a change in staff, no? I mean, I get that people like to point out that S1 was a group effort, but a change in studio still means a change in direction no matter how you try to rationalise it....unless a bunch of people responsible for S1 just happened to join J.C Staff, which I really doubt is the case.

At any rate, the season so far has been "ok". Though I found the pacing to be jarring and awkward, especially for episode. Specifically right after the Saitama and Sonic fight where it seemed to cut between the 2 characters far too quick.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
We can't blame the animators for the upper echelon choices that caused the downgrade in the show's production, but I think we can blame them for choosing to use their limited resources in lovingly animating the bounce of Fubuki's breasts instead of literally anything else.

Nah, thankfully it does not work like that; most likely they got one animator in particular working on fubuki; so there's no guarante he would ahve made a good job if they ahd put him to animate other scenes, we would just have a less animated fubuki but no improvement otherwise.

Chaos Wings wrote:
Yeah... I hoped the change in Studio wouldn't hurt it too much but the drop in quality is pretty glaringly apparent.

Fromt eh current situation of mad house, it most likely would have beena worse result ahd mad house made this season.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
The source material is what's really keeping me on-board with the anime series. Even during the first season, the story and themes its trying to convey is what attracted me to keep watching. The animation was more of a bonus.

That said, the second season is ok so far. Its not amazing or anything but I believe its gonna get better as they introduce more S-class heroes into the mix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7