• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ranma ½ Fans Celebrate Anime's 30th Anniversary

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if we'll ever get the remainder of the manga animated someday?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I had forgotten that there was a live action version.
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Cyan Bloodbane wrote:

That would be great. There are a lot of good arcs that were never adapted.
I hope something is being prepared to celebrate that 30th anniversary!!!
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
A remake would be amazing.

This series was very ahead of its time in some aspects, and it's one hell of an enjoyable ride with some absurdly entertaining characters.

Not to mention the 161 episode adaptation barely covered half of the manga and was full of fillers.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Thirty years... I remember watching Ranma as a kid in the late 90s, time sure does fly fast.
I am actually curious why they never tried to make a remake, continuation or even a special, considering how other series from the 80s and 90s came back
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Thirty years... I remember watching Ranma as a kid in the late 90s, time sure does fly fast.
I am actually curious why they never tried to make a remake, continuation or even a special, considering how other series from the 80s and 90s came back

They did a special, for the "Rumic World" anniversary, although the late Hirotaka Suzuoki had to be replaced as Tatewaki Kunou:
https://youtu.be/0vwcGcbEXG0?t=148
Just who could replace the late Ichiro Nagai as Happosai, that's a tougher question. Sad
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Happy anniversary. I think Ranma season one was the first anime I ever purchased. Must have been 20+ years ago. I had to secretly watch it in my room because of the nudity!
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:25 am Reply with quote
As much I love Ranma as a kid, I don't think a reboot would work in this era, it would be neutered.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
As much I love Ranma as a kid, I don't think a reboot would work in this era, it would be neutered.

Also, comedy in the Otaku era has to be too demographically "pitched" to its audience.
Back in the 90's, when a Ranma or Tenchi or Slayers could play on a regular TV time slot, Ranma was straight classic farce, which made it easy for US fans to grasp when it came over here--
Nowadays, anime comedy has to be too fanservice, too hipster, too spastic-screwball, to appeal to some imagined "secret" audience, that even a simple situational fall-to-the-floor Rumiko manga-farce looks like Shakespeare next to it.

Neutered? Like the revival special, I doubt we'd be getting fewer boob shots of girl-Ranma today...
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the show, for the most part. The thing that irked me most was spoiler[when Cologne tested Akane's hips for "being good for bearing children." That was incredibly sexist and offensive.]

Fortunately, that joke wasn't used much.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
I really enjoyed the show, for the most part. The thing that irked me most was spoiler[when Cologne tested Akane's hips for "being good for bearing children." That was incredibly sexist and offensive.]

Fortunately, that joke wasn't used much.

It also wasn't Cologne--You're probably thinking of Dr. Tofu's mother, who was nagging him to get married, and, like most traditional Japanese mothers, had only one traditional priority in mind.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my all-time favorite anime series. Happy to know that it's celebrating 30 years.
Cyan Bloodbane wrote:

If it was animated, I would prefer it kept that nostalgic 80s anime look and sound. Even with new technology, they can at least try and mimic the old-fashioned way (after all....doesn't Ranma 1/2 take place in 1980's Japan?)

The creator of the infamous Senpai Club on YouTube was able to do that with whatever software he was using.

Here is a video of how he did it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3qyRM4PIc

And here is an 80s-looking music video he did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQWXRJ8Lc4
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Although, the anime started in 89 with DBZ, so really, it's a 90's anime. It's not Urusei
Yatsura after all. Ranma always looked letter than that.

But I'm mostly fine with the look of Nightmare! Deep Sleep Incense (easy to find but technically a pirate- so can't link to it here).

A bit too "shiny" but I don't begrudge better animation. It was also an OVA so you should compare it to the old OVA's- not the TV series. Those and the movies always had comparatively better animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Although, the anime started in 89 with DBZ, so really, it's a 90's anime. It's not Urusei
Yatsura after all. Ranma always looked letter than that.

But I'm mostly fine with the look of Nightmare! Deep Sleep Incense (easy to find but technically a pirate- so can't link to it here).

A bit too "shiny" but I don't begrudge better animation. It was also an OVA so you should compare it to the old OVA's- not the TV series. Those and the movies always had comparatively better animation.

You mentioned nothing about the videos I uploaded.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:

You mentioned nothing about the videos I uploaded.

I only skimmed through them. The backgrounds and tropes are really good but the characters are too cartoony, like American cartoony.
And as I mentioned, it's much more of a 90's anime than an 80's anime. Different set of values really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2