• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Pikachu Tops Endgame, Detective Conan in 2nd Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Detective Pikachu is doing well in Japan after the live action Alita failed to make much of an impression with Japanese audiences. Should we be concerned about the future of Kabaneri that the movie is so low at number ten?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
It's pretty hilarious to know that Japan, of all countries, is the only country where Avengers: Endgame didn't top the box office.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
It's pretty hilarious to know that Japan, of all countries, is the only country where Avengers: Endgame didn't top the box office.

That's why Marvel makes all those Avenger anime for Japan to get them to care about their characters. I don't think they ever really work though. Can't say I blame them. I'd rather watch the new Conan than Endgame too. Sucks we'll have to wait for the far-off BD rip and wait til it gets fansubbed.

10 million for Pikachu isn't bad, but it looks like it wont make as much as even the lowest performing Pocket Monsters movie in Japan, which is good news since it means the anime will still be king in Japan, unlike in the west.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Delighted to see Detective Pikachu being sold very well with it, i am sure it will sell it very well more than so often. Very Happy

(sorry for my poor English)
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
10 million for Pikachu isn't bad, but it looks like it wont make as much as even the lowest performing Pocket Monsters movie in Japan, which is good news since it means the anime will still be king in Japan, unlike in the west.

Didn't think the Pokémon anime was doing so badly. You'd think the show would still do well on American TV, especially since it's considered an event anytime a new Pokémon game comes out.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Didn't think the Pokémon anime was doing so badly. You'd think the show would still do well on American TV, especially since it's considered an event anytime a new Pokémon game comes out.

Cartoon Network dropped the anime and Disney ended up picking it up, but they stuck it on their XD channel which isn't that popular. I suppose there's no real market for kids anime anymore. All the recent attempts have done pretty poorly. A live-action Hollywood version might be what the west needs to keep the series relevant here.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

Cartoon Network dropped the anime and Disney ended up picking it up, but they stuck it on their XD channel which isn't that popular. I suppose there's no real market for kids anime anymore. All the recent attempts have done pretty poorly. A live-action Hollywood version might be what the west needs to keep the series relevant here.

Yeah, just look at what happened with the Yo-kai Watch franchise when it came to North America. Not only were the ratings for the TV show bad, but the toy line and games did abysmally too. I have a feeling Disney XD's gonna shut down in a few years. That would give Disney an opportunity to move the show to either their Disney+ streaming service or the regular Disney Channel.

Like I said, whenever a new Pokémon game comes out, it's an event. That's probably gonna be the case with Sword and Shield too, and I want the anime adaptations of those games to be on a platform where it will be equally as popular as its source material.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Avengers thing, Japan is kind of the odd man out, in that Avengers/Marvel does not do as well, but does well in the rest of Asia; while Star Wars is huge in Japan, and not really popular in the rest of Asia.

Also its always kind of funny how anime is always presented as this otaku thing, something to look at with shame, yet look at the average weekend at a Japanese movie theatre. You have case closed pulling in almost 75 million. Or just look at article xyz, about some prefecture promoting itself with some anime character.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm glad to see Detective Pikachu is doing well in Japan after the live action Alita failed to make much of an impression with Japanese audiences. Should we be concerned about the future of Kabaneri that the movie is so low at number ten?
No, it was only playing in 28 theaters and was released on Amazon Prime Video, and Netflix on the same day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1