• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AKB48, HKT48 CDs Mysteriously Left Around Fukuoka City

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Illegal stupid ideals who could just use their CD for an illegal promotion is not good.
partially

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I am unsure how an unexpected CD in your mailbox should make you uncomfortable. If a CD does, how should all the stupid political pamphlets and whatnot make someone feel?
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be awkward if CDs were being scattered around in my place for some reason.
unready

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
I am unsure how an unexpected CD in your mailbox should make you uncomfortable....

If you listen to AKB48 in secret, because you don't want anyone to know, then someone puts an AKB48 CD in your mailbox, couldn't it mean somebody knows? Is it your neighbor? Is it your coworker? It could be anybody, and now they know your secret, but you don't know who they are. Oh, no!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
In the United States, it is illegal to just "put" something in a mailbox (mail-slots in residental doors excluded) without mailing it to that person. I'm not sure if there's an equivalent law in Japan, but if there is, I could understand why they are treating this as some kind of crime.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
I have a deeper question.

Presumably, this sort of CD-dumping happens because:
-The CD (or other item) comes with a "bonus" such as a code for an online vote, or a chance to win some kind of rare item.
-Super-obsessed fans desire these sorts of things, so they will buy large numbers of the disc (or whatever else) simply to get more votes or chances at a prize lottery.
-Now they have a bunch of CDs to get rid of

So, the obvious question is why not sell them via used CD shops, online auctions, etc, instead of dumping them illegally? And that way you'd have more money to buy more CDs...
nargun

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
I am unsure how an unexpected CD in your mailbox should make you uncomfortable.

Right, so, first up: a normal person recognises that different people have different experiences and that something that they find unobjectionable might be otherwise for others differently situated. "I don't understand why you'd object" is basically never a useful thing to say because basically always the failure is on you and can be resolved by your thinking a bit harder to see the basis of the objection.

This is something you may wish to remember for future. Doesn't mean that you'd agree with the objection, but almost-always you'll at least be able to understand why.

In this particular context, the actual answer -- the basis of the objection -- is: personal space and control of same, or considered more generally "autonomy".

Giving people stuff is putting stuff in their personal space. Social/metaphorical space here, not necessarily physical, although tbh it usually is. To do that you have to intrude into [social/metaphorical] areas that they exert control [autonomy] over. An unwanted gift is an unwanted intrusion and thus an unwanted violation of autonomy.

And "unwanted violation of autonomy" is a major problem, because it's a declaration that you don't regard their autonomy -- their wishes generally -- as important to you. It's pretty scary, that, obviously.

[most people make very limited exceptions here for commercial operators [sending free unsolicited samples, &] because the nature of commerce should mean that the intrusion is self-contained unless they act to extend it, by asking for more stuff and sending money, or whatever. Note the key here is commercial, which is to say for-profit. Not "in the form of a company"; religious organisations, for example, don't get the same licence.]
Ryan227

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

So, the obvious question is why not sell them via used CD shops, online auctions, etc, instead of dumping them illegally? And that way you'd have more money to buy more CDs...

The obvious answer is because no one will buy them! I bet stores won't even take them. So many people bought so many extra copies if someone who didn't buy one to begin with who wanted one now could probably easily pick one up somewhere for free. I've heard of restaurants and stuff where the owner or a worker is a fan and after a release they'll just put out bins of them for customers to take. So maybe this person has no place they can leave them and can't bring them self to throw these away and they want to try and share the group with others so he's just leaving them in random places.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:25 am Reply with quote
Ryan227 wrote:
AkumaChef wrote:

The obvious answer is because no one will buy them!

I've seen similar examples of over-sold media in the west--movies, games, music, comic books... The massive supply certainly results in a drop in price on the secondary market, but "worth a lot less" is not the same as truly worthless. There have got to be at least some fans who can't afford the new album at full price but who would be happy to snag a copy for a fraction of the normal price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1