• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Home Video, Rental, Streaming Market Rises 8% in 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Though some people like VHS and DVD, i prefer streaming over home videos, since streaming is becoming more common in Japan.
Super_M

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I wish that streaming services data about shows viewership were available.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Though some people like VHS and DVD, i prefer streaming over home videos, since streaming is becoming more common in Japan.

The problem is that both DRM (= "Digital", as in buying permanent cloud-movies) and Streaming (= monthly Netflix subscription) became hopelessly confused with both Japanese and American viewers, that most of both still literally don't know which is which.

DRM-purchase Digital died an almost instantly lingering seven-year death in the US: Anyone remember those "Redeem your free Ultraviolet code!" stickers you used to see on Blu-ray covers?--Most of them now say "Vudu" or "Movies Anywhere", now that Ultraviolet went belly-up last January.
The public preferred paying only once a month for their movies, on Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu, and that's where the viewers went, so all the studios became crazy for "the world of Streaming!", and Warner, Disney and Universal all tried to open their own exclusive streaming networks.

...That's where the big industry confusion arises:
Streaming became the replacement for nightly couch-potato TV--the same way that Crunchyroll took over the market for renting new anime series out of curiosity, or binging a new favorite--and Digital Rental on Amazon and Vudu made the Redbox movie-night kiosk obsolete, but the mighty warrior that was supposed to slay Blu-ray/DVD for permanent shelf ownership is now fallen. And the champion remains undefeated.

I'm not sure what history DRM-purchase had in Japan (it sure as heck didn't raise a blip over here), but if they're just NOW getting into Netflix, I'm guessing their timing skipped the evolutionary step of DRM, and went straight from Disk -> Streaming.
Thus confusing the argument of what you actually use to keep permanent favorites on your shelf.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:19 am Reply with quote
@EricJ2

Japan does have its own streaming service, these are dTV. These are the only thing i know so far. dTV specializing in number of Japanese entertainment field, including Anime, J-Dramas, J-Music, etc, but its only available for Japanese viewers only though.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
@EricJ2
Japan does have its own streaming service, these are dTV. These are the only thing i know so far. dTV specializing in number of Japanese entertainment field, including Anime, J-Dramas, J-Music, etc, but its only available for Japanese viewers only though.

But that's just my point: People still use the word "Digital" when they mean "Streaming", and "Streaming" when they mean "Digital".
(And yes, technically "Streaming" is digital, but not in the way that DRM stamped its brand on the name as the Thing That Would Crush Blu/DVD Disc Any Minute Now.)

And one of the problems was that people wanted Streaming, because streaming filled an actual place in the audience market, and didn't even remotely want Digital, because it didn't.
But since most of the industry didn't know the difference, headlines pointed to Amazon and Netflix, saying "Digital is soaring in popularity!" Well, yes and no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1