• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Steven Universe Creator Rebecca Sugar to Provide Intro to U.S. Whisper of the Heart July S

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
That's nice, Becky Glucose, but get back to work on that sixth season of Steven Universe and Jasper's redemption arc. I mean, if you can reform genocidal dictators with conversations, I think their lackey deserves the chance.

Hm, come to think of it, I don't believe I ever saw this movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It seems these days that every cartoon creator where the cartoon has an ongoing narrative is inspired by anime in some capacity.

Not that I’m complaining.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Very cool.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
And now I'm glad I can't go see this in theaters.
No offence to Sugar or anything but ughhhhhh people introing movies like this. We already have to sit through a ton of trailers and commercials, I'm not gonna care.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:
And now I'm glad I can't go see this in theaters.
No offence to Sugar or anything but ughhhhhh people introing movies like this. We already have to sit through a ton of trailers and commercials, I'm not gonna care.

If it's a Fathom Event it won't have trailers and commercials. Maybe a few slides before the movie starts. If it is a Fathom Event their intro's are pretty great. I still remember seeing the behind the scenes look of "The Dark Crystal".
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
It seems these days that every cartoon creator where the cartoon has an ongoing narrative is inspired by anime in some capacity.

Not that I’m complaining.

Not just the narrative, but also the storyboarding:
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-07-31/why-are-anime-fans-obsessed-with-steven-universe/.91130
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

American animation has pretty much lost all of it's identity as this generation took over and pretty much made nothing but blatant anime parodies and references.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
[
American animation has pretty much lost all of it's identity as this generation took over and pretty much made nothing but blatant anime parodies and references.
Literally half of the animated shows from the 80s and 90s were Japan co-productions.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Literally half of the animated shows from the 80s and 90s were Japan co-productions.

Co-production has nothing to do with content though. Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Tiny Toons, DuckTales, Simpsons, Cybersix, Batman, and all those other shows might have been animated in Japan but none of their content revolved around referencing or being like anime. That didn't start being a thing until the mid 2000s as the kids who grew up watching those co-productions, and all the anime on TV at the time, got into the industry.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Co-production has nothing to do with content though. Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Tiny Toons, DuckTales, Simpsons, Cybersix, Batman, and all those other shows might have been animated in Japan but none of their content revolved around referencing or being like anime. That didn't start being a thing until the mid 2000s as the kids who grew up watching those co-productions, and all the anime on TV at the time, got into the industry.

Japanese and American film have been influencing each other for generations. Ask anyone who knows literally a single thing about the Japanese film industry about Kurosawa's greatest inspirations. These creators are telling stories similar to the ones they loved growing up. How is that wrong?

I'd take thoughtful storytelling and writing that draws on anime and manga for influence over the glorified commercials that made up a large part of my media diet in the late 80's and early '90's. Shows like Thundercats and the animated Ghostbusters were made to sell toys. Cybersix isn't even American; it's a Canadian adaptation of an Argentinian comic.

Plus, unless you have kids or actively pay attention to the current US animation scene, there's a TON of productions that have little to zero obvious anime/manga influence. Bob's Burgers, Llama Llama, Let's Go Luna, PJ Mask, Tuca & Bertie... there's an incredibly long list. I work with kids. I see what they get excited about. You just want to grumble without actually knowing what you're talking about.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
"Anime fans are probably dying to hear from a Westerner who struggles to match her own shows to even a garbage harem anime."

Is this like when before a Baseball game a kid from the local community throws the first pitch? At least in baseball there's a charming call to tradition with that.

This is different than a researched scholar like Mike Toole giving an optional audio commentary. I listen to those - on a second watch.

But what has she to offer? And as the intro? When I went to see that questionable Batman movie a year or two back those interviews with Staff came later.

Like, her work is the exact kind Miyazaki is often trying to distance himself from.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm still not sure why American cartoons referencing anime is somehow a bad thing. When I was growing up as a kid, anime getting more exposure and becoming mainstream and accepted was what I always wanted.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:17 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
"Anime fans are probably dying to hear from a Westerner who struggles to match her own shows to even a garbage harem anime."

Or...

"An award-winning creator at the top of her field and the first female showrunner for Cartoon Network is a relevant candidate to introduce a movie about a young girl experiencing the highs and lows of creativity that is personally important for her."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1