• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream My Hero Academia Anime's 4th Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RommieSG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:23 am Reply with quote
Hopefully with a simuldub as well!
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:53 am Reply with quote
...So is that to say that it won't be on CR? That it will stream exclusively on FUNi's site, which is only accessible to Americans?

Because if it does, well thanks for making piracy the only option for international fans such as myself. Again.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:13 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
...So is that to say that it won't be on CR? That it will stream exclusively on FUNi's site, which is only accessible to Americans?

Keep in mind that Fruits Basket was announced early by Funimation, but turned out to still be a co-license by CR and Funimation.

Also, Funimation also streams to Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:40 am Reply with quote
Considering that Crunchyroll is the largest platform to legally provide access to anime (I think), it would seem foolish to make My Hero exclusive to Funimation streaming.

I know that Funimation wants to boost their subscription numbers, but I think that consumers are experiencing subscription fatigue and many people will probably access illegal streams of Funimation shows rather than subscribe to Funimation in addition to other services.

I go through legal means to access shows I want to watch, but I suspect that I have a breaking point if access becomes cumbersome.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I know that Funimation wants to boost their subscription numbers, but I think that consumers are experiencing subscription fatigue and many people will probably access illegal streams of Funimation shows rather than subscribe to Funimation in addition to other services.

You know Funimation streaming has been around for years? Its not like its a brand new service that just popped up this year. Assuming people will pirate because of "subscription fatigue" makes it sound like something that just came around recently.

Anyways, my assumption is that Funimation will sublicense MHA to Crunchyroll (or CR will directly sublicense it from the Japanese production company, I'm not concrete on what types of rights Funimation has on MHA) given how much license-sharing was going on this season. Plus it's one of the few show I feel Crunchyroll will really try to go out of their way to include in their lineup. So personally, I wouldn't worry too much.
el_morris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Lord Starfish wrote:

Keep in mind that Fruits Basket was announced early by Funimation, but turned out to still be a co-license by CR and Funimation.

Also, Funimation also streams to Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.

Funimation may be available for another 5 countries but that's not the rest of the world, you know?
Chaotic-Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Lord Starfish wrote:

Funimation may be available for another 5 countries but that's not the rest of the world, you know?

You're right, those few countries aren't the rest of the world, but the original post said it's only available in America, which just isn't true.

KitKat1721 wrote:
Gasero wrote:

You know Funimation streaming has been around for years? Its not like its a brand new service that just popped up this year. Assuming people will pirate because of "subscription fatigue" makes it sound like something that just came around recently.

But for a while at least, Funimation only had dubs. So a lot of people didn't bother with them, because they wanted the Japanese version. If they're getting exclusive rights for this, then people who payed for Crunchyroll for it, will now have to pay for this as well. The point raised is very true.

[Do not double-post. Use the "Edit" button instead. ~Zalis]
Vizo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
This is unsurprising good news. Hopefully, we can get an uninterrupted simuldub. I don't want it to be released on the same day if it is eventually going to be delayed a few weeks.

I don't recall them releasing a teaser trailer a full year in advance for previous seasons. Why was this pushed back to the Fall again? It would've been awesome to watch this with One Punch Man.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:

I didn't claim it was, but the person I was replying to did claim it was "only accessible to Americans". A lot of people jump to the conclusion that any video site (especially for anime) that isn't available in their country is only available in the US. These days (even excluding Canada) that is more often not true.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Although a Crunchyroll simulcast option would be preferable, even if it winds up going to Funimation, they'll probably wind up sharing it with Hulu and Toonami will also likely air a simuldub broadcast. I already have a Funimation subscription though so I'm good to go. Compared to something like Amazon, it's not that expensive to just go ahead and get a year long subscription for Funimation. A year subscription is about the same price you pay for a single LE boxset. And you get all their backlog shows which is a positive for a binge watcher like me.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although have my doubts that Funimation would vie for the series to do a simuldub, I would doubt even more that it would end up on Toonami.
They've been airing the MHA dub weekly on Toonami for the past few years. The Toonami broadcast is pretty much almost caught up to the end of season three. They'll likely be caught up in time when new episodes start airing.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They've been airing the MHA dub weekly on Toonami for the past few years. The Toonami broadcast is pretty much almost caught up to the end of season three. They'll likely be caught up in time when new episodes start airing.

Sorry, I thought I was replying to a different topic I had open at the same time. ("Senki Zesshō Symphogear XV TV Anime's Promo Video Reveals July 6 Premiere"). Perhaps you can understand why I would be doubtful of a Funimation simulcast and Toonami showing of that title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1