• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JMPA Reveals Manga Magazine Circulation Numbers for January to March 2019

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect to see some magazine manga getting shrunk, i feel like Japan's declining population is getting really worse and Japan's domestic market is falling because of the shrinking youth of population.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:12 am Reply with quote
It isn't mentioned in the article, does this only list physical copies or are digital editions included?
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:37 am Reply with quote
It only refers to print copies. I don’t think any agency has the means to calculate the digital sales and the digital distribution methods vary.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:03 am Reply with quote
That's a bad sign, isn't it? And so girls and young women (like me) can't read shonen and seinen mangas, because it's for boys and men?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
That's a bad sign, isn't it?

Not necessarily. Depends entirely on if the digital editions sales can counter that fall.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:12 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
That's a bad sign, isn't it? And so girls and young women (like me) can't read shonen and seinen mangas, because it's for boys and men?

You can read whatever you want. The whole "shonen/shoujo" dichotomy is outdated anyway and doesn't really reflect the modern market. Jump has had a sizable female readership for years.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
I didn't expect to see some magazine manga getting shrunk, i feel like Japan's declining population is getting really worse and Japan's domestic market is falling because of the shrinking youth of population.

Of course it's getting worse it was only in 2016 that live births fell below 1 million and this year it's estimated to fall below 900,000 while population decline should also break 500,000 for the first time.

That's the problem it start slow then accelerates.

I must admit though that I am curious what it would be like to live in China in the late 2050's and 2060's when the population is declining by 7-8 million a year that has to be noticeable.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
You can read whatever you want. The whole "shonen/shoujo" dichotomy is outdated anyway and doesn't really reflect the modern market. Jump has had a sizable female readership for years.

People can, and should, read whatever they want, but the target demographic terms are still quite useful and do reflect the modern market. Sure, people can incorrectly use them as a straitjacket and ignore the existence of readership outside the main target demographic (even though, as with other elements of typical gender roles, it's far more likely that girls and women will read male-targeted comics than vice versa), but they do tell you a lot about what sort of stories (and advertisements) to expect in a magazine in a way that genre does not capture.

That's true for both the gender and the age demographic information, which is why Shueisha publishes so much information about it. It holds even though age isn't a dichotomy either, and a term can hide the subtle differences that more data can show.

Romance, action, sports, etc. are genres that can appear in any magazine, but knowing if the magazine is shoujo/shounen/josei/seinen suggests which sex is likely to be the protagonist, what form character relationships take, the patterns of romance, etc. (The subset of people who read other-targeted magazines for shipping purposes merely reinforce the significance of the gender targeting rather than undermine the terms.)

That said, there are online comic magazines and elsewhere that aim for a balanced gender split in target demographic, so sure, it's not a dichotomy. There are many shounen and seinen magazines with over 90% male readership (VJump, Grand Jump, the over 95% of Ultra Jump), others with two-thirds male readership (Jump Square), just as there are those that people almost certainly stop reading by age 16, and there are things with wider age ranges. Weekly Shounen Jump, which Shueisha is proud to tout as having readers young and old, male and female, even though its median age is still at 19.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
Print is dying in Japan, it's probably a good time for manga magazines to have digital copies available providing the magazines don't have them already. However, that won't stop the declines in manga magazines geared towards boys and girls due to low birthrates.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote
Huh, I had no idea that Ciao was so popular.

I'd be interested to see these print circulation numbers combined with digital sales.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Print is dying in Japan, it's probably a good time for manga magazines to have digital copies available providing the magazines don't have them already. However, that won't stop the declines in manga magazines geared towards boys and girls due to low birthrates.

That seems pretty sensationalist. Print is never going to 'die'. There will always be physical volumes of manga.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
That seems pretty sensationalist. Print is never going to 'die'. There will always be physical volumes of manga.

There will still be physical volumes of manga. Just probably not of all manga.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Magazines will be keep on printing.

But maybe the market and the population can support 13 manga magazines "for boys", 15 "for men" and 14 "for girls", weekly, bi-weekly & monthly. And now I wonder how a magazine with 7,000 copies sold can stay alive.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:16 am Reply with quote
Surely the numbers of Monthly Shonen Magazine and Bessatsu Shonen Magazine have been mixed up. Monthly Shonen Magazine only really has the seraph of the end spin-off has almost 300k, and Bessatsu Shonen Magazine has Attack on Titan only has 54k? That can't be right.
anime_layer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:52 am Reply with quote
The only publication that managed to increase circulation is Monthly Shonen Sirius or did I miss another one? And by 53% as well, wonder what's responsible for the increase (last period was already up by 33%)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2