• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Even Square Enix Doesn't Know How Many Parts Final Fantasy VII Remake Will Have Yet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Multipart games don't have the best track record. Remember Shen Mue? It's a miracle that got a kickstarted third part. Remember Xenosaga? That one was planned to be 6 episodes, we got three.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
long as they actually keep em all available on same platform im fine with waiting (i mean i waited how long for this remake to begin with?)

but i only 1 or 2 parts are on 1 system and rest on another...that will be annoyign as F__k
Pandsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah and the fact that they don't EVEN have the whole thing planned in a rough outline kinda way (if they did then they'd know how many games there would be!) doesn't bode well either. The first game is based on a pretty small part of the original, yet it took them this long to make it and the remake is as long as a full RPG? First of all, that doesn't even mean it's a good length. Could just be padded out to shit and horribly paced for all we know. But even if it is good, it still could set a dangerous precedent of over-indulgence. Even if what we get is decent, it could still end up being quite tiresome if it's 3, 4, 5 or even more games of equal length, all at full price, all 2+ years apart, always having in the back of your head that you might not feel the satisfaction of a finished game (even if they make it feel like a finished game, you still know how much more of the source material there is to cover so it'll never be truly satisfying until it's done), might be left on a cliffhanger even, for years with the looming possibility that they really won't actually finish it and just leave you hanging because they lost interest or because their sales are getting worse and SE decides to cancel the project.

Even if it's all good, it's still just a remake that has a basis that's well-known. We might still crave the next big project. We might still want FF16. Or what if Nomura, like he did with FF Versus 13, comes out saying that he has plans for the next Kingdom Hearts but development won't really start until the FF7R project is completely done and over with?

I am looking forward to the game, but cautiously. It looked good but not AMAZING and had some stuff that could get annoying (even down to just the banter) in the gameplay that was shown. Who knows if the actual product is worse. And with how disappointed I personally was in FF15 and KH3 (the latter I still enjoyed but I thought it was just okay. the former I really didn't like), this all really doesn't bode well.

I AM looking forward to finding out what they did and why this one is so damn huge and if done right it could absolutely feel great and like the kind of re-invention of the classic story that truly fleshes out everything and surprises newcomers and fans alike, but I still can't say I'm not concerned.

Also, Half-Life 2: Episode 3
Pandsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
long as they actually keep em all available on same platform im fine with waiting (i mean i waited how long for this remake to begin with?)

but i only 1 or 2 parts are on 1 system and rest on another...that will be annoyign as F__k

Oh they will be available on the same system. In remaster/port form on next gen, I'm sure! I highly doubt you'll see the second game and especially any further ones on PS4 though. There's just no way that's gonna happen.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be for however many parts they think they can milk out of fans to pay for it. Then they will scrap it.

They'll also make sure to charge you for DLC that should of been in the game, but they cut out so they could just milk some extra money, also.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
yup...time for me too get off this hype train...and hop on the ff 8 remaster one Razz

I know FF 7 is popular, but playing through the same game for 10 years seems kinda monotonous and the fact you have too get reacquainted with the combat controls after each installment or they could screw it up like Xenosaga did and change combat styles in each part Sad
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Multipart games don't have the best track record. Remember Shen Mue? It's a miracle that got a kickstarted third part. Remember Xenosaga? That one was planned to be 6 episodes, we got three.

I've become pretty leery of episodic releases following what happened with Telltale Games. Getting half the final season of Walking Dead and then suddenly not knowing if it would be finished or if there was any chance of a refund wasn't fun. If they hadn't been partnered with Skybound and if Skybound hadn't started its own game production earlier, I doubt it ever would have been completed.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
This is such a Square thing. Seems like they were more worried getting it out to get that money then sitting back and really planning things out.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Well when your series's underperform sales wise or you have other problems that's to be expected.

Pandsu wrote:
Also, Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Holding a candle I see.

AntiKuro wrote:
It's going to be for however many parts they think they can milk out of fans to pay for it. Then they will scrap it.

People paid for FFXIII, XIII-2,Lightning Returns, & Vers- erm FFXV Razz

bleachj0j wrote:
This is such a Square thing. Seems like they were more worried getting it out to get that money then sitting back and really planning things out.

Given that the game has been planned for god knows how long.....
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:

People paid for FFXIII, XIII-2,Lightning Returns, & Vers- erm FFXV Razz[/quote]

Yes, and they scrapped DLC for 15 when they could know longer make money off of it. 15 is also why I know longer have faith in Square. The game had great characters, and what could of been a good story and instead they hacked out parts for DLC to make more money.

I'm not arguing that they don't make good games, but they have shitty practices that exist to milk as much money out of fans that they can and FF fans will definitely shell out money, especially FF 7 fanboys.

Don't get me wrong either I'll buy the game after it's been out for awhile, but I'm not a real big fan of DLC in general and I feel like game companies are focusing on it more and more.
tomdean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
FFXV was one of the worst games I have ever played for such a huge budget; sure someone will snipe back at me, but no amount of insults you can throw at me will give me back the 30+ hours I had better spent plucking my cat's nose hair

FFVII looks a bit like it and it has me slightly worried...let's hope they focus on making good fun games, rather than beautiful games
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Well, this is a little different in that they already have the original game's story and events as a guide.

Most of the development effort is really going into creating new assets and tossing in a lot of side content to max out the Midgar area.

Firefly251 wrote:

This is what I'm afraid of. If Square at least commits to releasing the entire saga on PS4, then I'd be content. (I'm expecting that they have in mind and that it'll end up being 3 parts, excluding what is sure to be DLC they'll probably release in between releases).

Given PS5's BC, I'm sure there will still be hardware benefits for PS5 owners that will get the same benefits as using a Pro console with 4K native graphics or something.

But a move to next-gen may be necessitated, if the open world scale they might be considering demands it as the scope of the game's story and map grows.

Pandsu wrote:
Yeah and the fact that they don't EVEN have the whole thing planned in a rough outline kinda way (if they did then they'd know how many games there would be!) doesn't bode well either. The first game is based on a pretty small part of the original, yet it took them this long to make it and the remake is as long as a full RPG?

Well to be fair, the project was started by outsourcing it to CyberConnect2, then that was apparently scraped and then brought in house in 2017. So it's technically been about 2 years of dev time within Square Enix, but it's possible that they might be using assets that CyberConnect had already done. Assuming it began in 2015... Also much of the team at Square were involved in finishing FFXV, and then moving onto Kingdom Hearts III. With the recent news out, it seems that all focus will be shifting to FF7 Remake as the next mainline FF franchise release, so I doubt we'll be hearing anything about any XVI until the Remake has been completed. It's probably for the best to let XVI bake for awhile.

As the article said, development will likely go much faster once Part 1 is completed. I'd guess 2 years by early 2022 for Part 2, but Part 3 will ship by late 2023. Despite that they are not letting on about their plans for how many parts FF7 will be, I suspect that they are looking at 3.

bleachj0j wrote:

It's either that or they take a very very long time, and that probably means releasing halfway through the PS5's lifespan. Of course I understand that fans didn't need the remake to go as grand as Square wants, but I think Square wants new fans and not just the old ones, and the new fans have expectations that RPGs keep up with what the market has already established. Otherwise they could've just given this project over to Tokyo RPG Factory and called it a day. But the popularity of things like Advent Children and the other FF7 spin-offs dictated otherwise., about the kind of remake style people actually want.

AntiKuro wrote:
Yes, and they scrapped DLC for 15 when they could know longer make money off of it. 15 is also why I know longer have faith in Square. The game had great characters, and what could of been a good story and instead they hacked out parts for DLC to make more money.

I'm not arguing that they don't make good games, but they have shitty practices that exist to milk as much money out of fans that they can and FF fans will definitely shell out money, especially FF 7 fanboys.

Don't get me wrong either I'll buy the game after it's been out for awhile, but I'm not a real big fan of DLC in general and I feel like game companies are focusing on it more and more.

FFXV's development had many problems. Some of the chief ones being the poor Engine developed for the FFXIII engine with both Crystal and Luminous being busts, necessitating a new move towards just using UnReal.

Then the initial FFXIV disaster happened and everyone was pulled off to save it, and looking back, this was absolutely the right move for Square Enix, but the whole XIII thing fell apart. Nomura got moved. Then put on Kingdom Hearts. His story for FFXV was scrapped, and had a new director step in and salvage/change what he could so that it could be shipped.

Japanese developers as a whole had a big problem transitioning to HD during the PS3 days, and with the Xbox 360's success in the West couldn't be ignored either in favour of just single platform development.

So FFXV drew the short straw as a combination of screw-ups, and the company was forced to deliver a product without taking too long. The mismanagement of Square as a whole had led to taking on too many projects at once.

I think they've figured that out, and if they can commit to getting FF7 out as fast as possible, then that's good. But higher expectations for RPGs today, and especially a much hyped title, mean that unless people are willing to wait for severl years without complaining, episodic releases and breaking the game up into chunks is the only possible compromise. So we're getting Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy VII-2 Remake, Final Fantasy VII-3 Remake, and maybe Sephiroth Returns Final Fantasy VII Remake.

The only downside is that given when this is releasing and next-gen around the corner, that the whole thing might require us to buy the next console to complete it. Hell, if anyone bought a PS3 for Final Fantasy Versus XIII, this is another kick to the balls Razz
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
They don't need to know how many parts it'll be. They know the hardcore fans will buy it anyway.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd prefer the game all in one go but honestly so long as Square stay's focused and doesn't try to rush out the project simply because it's taking longer to develop I'm okay with whatever.

So long as we don't have a repeat of what happened with FFXV and KH3.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
They don't need to know how many parts it'll be. They know the hardcore fans will buy it anyway.

Am. Yes, I will. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2