• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Promare Film for September Theatrical Screenings in N. America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
GKids seems to get nearly all the movies nowadays. At least they seem to get all the major ones that aren't based off TV shows. What was the last movie Funimation managed to license?

You'd think with that Sony money they'd be duking it out with GKids more.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
GKids seems to get nearly all the movies nowadays. At least they seem to get all the major ones that aren't based off TV shows. What was the last movie Funimation managed to license?

You'd think with that Sony money they'd be duking it out with GKids more.
According to Wikipedia, Funimation co-released In This Corner of the World with Shout Factory in 2019. Before that, their last stand alone movie that was solely their license was Genocidal Organ. Given the slow roll out of Your Name and it's failure to secure an Oscar nomination, it's not too surprising to me that Funimation would focus on titles they know are proven successes for them rather than take a risk on a stand alone feature that might not work out for them. Though Funimation did release the Chinese animated film, Big Fish & Begonia last year. I'm more surprised Aniplex USA didn't get Promare as they seem to have gotten most of Trigger's titles in the past.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Funimation also has Human Lost coming this year
loveliver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Though Funimation did release the Chinese animated film, Big Fish & Begonia last year. I'm more surprised Aniplex USA didn't get Promare as they seem to have gotten most of Trigger's titles in the past.

Shout! Factory released Big Fish & Begonia in a similar fashion with In This Corner of the World. Toho distributed Promare, so barely any doubt they are the publisher, so Aniplex was a no go.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I really hope GKids will license Natsu wo Yarinaosu, Korasho no Kaitei Wakuwaku Daibouken, and the Animal Crossing movie.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I just wish GKids would release Pop in Q.
loveliver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I just wish GKids would release Pop in Q.

I don't think that will happen, to be honest.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Funimation had the Code Geass Movie last month and the Broly movie in the beginning of the year, so I think they are doing just fine.

Also, excluding anime films related to TV shows is excluding most anime films released, both this year so far and otherwise. I don't really think a definition of major anime films that would exclude those related to TV shows is an accurate one, given how many watched Broly, the Heaven's Feel movies, or last year's MHA movie . Even just looking at ones unrelated to TV shows, I don't know that GKIDS has gotten all the major ones. This year they had Okko's Inn, and will show Promare, Children of the Sea, and Weathering with You. Eleven Arts had Penguin Highway and Aniplex had I Want to Eat Your Pancreas earlier this year. Last year GKIDS had a number of major ones, but I don't really see them as the dominant player in theatrical anime releases, where Aniplex, Eleven Arts, yes Funimation, Sentai, and to a lesser extent Crunchyroll all play a part.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I figured someone would get this license, but I did suspect Aniplex of America or Funimation before GKIDS. I feel like we've been pretty spoiled with anime theatrical releases the past couple years, and I'm happy to see that trend continue.
Xe4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
Geez GKIDS has been an absolute beast at licensing stuff lately. Seems like every other day is an announcement by them of licensing something, anime or no. And I definitely would never expect them to grab a Trigger film of all things.

The more you know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit:

Seriously though, every film on this list (excluding Arrietty which they've had for a while) they've nabbed since January. It's nuts. Gotta make up for having neither of Cartoon Saloon's upcoming films I guess lol
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
Odd choice for them, I thought they just handled kids films.
Xe4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:59 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Odd choice for them, I thought they just handled kids films.

Despite their name, GKIDS has actually never been just a kids film distributor.

Early on they released Chico & Rita which was unrated and had explicit language and a sex scene with nudity IIRC. Plus they distributed Birdboy which has talking animals but is definitely not for kids, and more recently MFKZ and Perfect Blue being hard R films.

I'm more surprised at them distributing a Trigger film of all things. For sure one of the least "art house-y" films they've ever been a part of distributing, but I'm glad they're expanding their repertoire a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1