• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hideaki Anno: Before Evangelion

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I really really hope they fixed the color issues that even the latest Japanese blu-ray had, for the Netflix release. Evangelion deserves that much.

Fantastic article. I've often spent time looking at lists for my favorite creators's past works but it's great to see details written out like this for so many aspects. Does anyone know if there's any decent biographies about Anno actually available? The TLDR version of this is "He's a legend". And I feel like his Non-EVA work is overlooked by too many fans.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
And so here we are on the eve of a fresh wave of Evangelion takes...

It's great that there's so much more info about Anno out there like this, since I remember how in the void back in the day, uhhh...people's imaginations sure ran wild. Anyway, thanks for running this, I look forward to the next installment.
Cabron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
When is there going to be an article where they actually talk about what influenced his works? It was barely mentioned.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow! That Daicon IV really brings back memories of anime fandom in the 1980s when I was stationed in San Antonio. I bought the ELO album Time specifically because of that promo (and the other one that featured the song "Hold on Tight"). Good times.
j_plex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
How many of this towering, influential figure's works actually have a conclusive ending?!? From what I have seen, often not even his works that were originated by someone else, like Kare Kano, do. And I will believe that there will be an actual ending to the Evangelion story when I see it. Or actually, I won't. Because I guess that we are supposed to just ignore that Rebuild of Evangelion leaves like half the stuff from the original series hanging.

And I won't even get to the idea that everyone is treating this series being on Netflix as this huge event when it was already aired on Cartoon Network.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Cabron wrote:
When is there going to be an article where they actually talk about what influenced his works? It was barely mentioned.

The thing about that is that Anno is an otaku's otaku; to use Nietzschean language, Anno's is the Übermensch of otaku. This man loves homaging, referencing, & pulling from his favorite works (of which he seemingly has too many to even count) so much that's it's nigh-impossible to actually list them all in a single article. Just read his wife's manga Insufficient Direction, and you'll see just how obsessed Anno can be with anime/manga/tokusatsu/etc., because it's honestly amazing. Also, I'm sure most people would miss out on most of Anno's more obscure influences, which would be a shame. For example, I'm pretty Yung & the Sizzler's Giacobini Meteor Attack from Gunbuster is a reference to 70s baseball manga Team Astro, which Anno was a big fan of, as there's a special move in it called the Giacobini Meteor Shower Swing; the "Giacobini" part makes it super likely.

Still, I'd actually love to see someone actually try to at least do a series of articles catching & naming every single one (or most) of Anno's references & homages in Evangelion, because it'd certainly be an interesting thing to read about.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
How many of this towering, influential figure's works actually have a conclusive ending?!?

Most of them? I'm not sure what this is based on aside from Rebuild not being done yet and Kare Kano. Just off hand, his other most famous works are arguably Gunbuster, Nadia and Shin Godzilla, and those all definitely end.

About the old Adult Swim broadcast, that was all the way back in 2005 - nearly 15 years ago. Kids have become adults in that time. Evangelion hasn't been streaming anywhere officially at all. So it is a big deal that it's finally going to be widely available again, and on a big service like Netflix to boot.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Cabron wrote:

You can get a pretty good idea of what influenced him by watching the Daicon IV video.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Really surprised that the writer didn't include a mention about Blue Blazes / Blue Fire (Aoi Honou) which is based off the real life account of a creator who went to university with Anno. It used to be available to stream on Viki, but I guess the license expired :/
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:52 pm Reply with quote
This was a really great read. Those Daicon animations are pretty astounding, especially the first one given that it sounds like it was just a handful of people working on it. Shame the other animators weren't credited, though; Anno's only able to stand where he does in the history books because of the hard work of those around him who made his most successful visions possible.

Which is not a slight against Anno; this article makes it clear that he works his butt off with as much passion as anyone, and it shows. End of Eva is one of my favorite movies, and I thoroughly enjoyed Shin Godzilla too (and I am decidedly not within the target audience for Godzilla films).

As for NGE itself, it's one of the few shows I watched once through and then immediately did a rewatch. It definitely had my attention, haha. Hopefully the Netflix license will help it get discovered again by a generation who could probably use it; the themes of the show seem like they've cycled back around to being especially resonant, given the collective state of things.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:49 am Reply with quote
Cabron wrote:

Ultraman and Gundam got mentioned but not Getter Robo, source of inspiration for various designs, philosophy and plot points for multiple of his works, along with THE Gainax pose being a reference to it.
I understand not referencing everything he uses but there's a handful of ever present references across his entire portfolio that get largely ignored despite him talking about in interviews about those few works in particular being more of a reference than others. But then again i suppose some people wouldn't understand the difference between referencing and copying and might think he just ripped off works so idk
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1