• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - June 17, 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
This column has lost all personality. I can get release information anywhere and Shelf Life no longer has a reason for me to keep coming back. I used to look forward to Monday every week to find perspective and cool pictures sent in by other collectors. I feel the site as a whole is suffering an imbalance--between news and personality, I unsubscribed recently because I don't feel like I get my money's worth. I'm not the best example of a user, but this isn't fun anymore. Good luck, Paul.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I've played both PC demos of Bloodstained (before the final build), and it was shaping up very nicely. Basically, if you like any of the following latter-day Castlevania games: Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, or Order of Ecclesia, you're going to find some level of enjoyment out of this game. It tries to be a real spiritual successor to these, evolving at times in surprising ways but making sure it keeps that old-school "Metroidvania" core that got its start in Symphony of the Night. It does have a touch of older Castlevania games in it as well, since there is a bit more platforming and challenging enemies from what I've played/seen. It's being delayed to the 25th for Switch to address some quality stuff and if you get the game before its proper release (some stores have broken the release date), it won't have the final build's last patch on it, I've heard. So for the best experience, get it on the day it actually launches for your given console.

Here was an editorial that went into the game's development and the confusion surrounding it. It's not a review, but it may get people up to speed on what it's trying to accomplish compared to other games, Castlevania and otherwise: https://agoplus.wordpress.com/2019/04/14/bloodstaineds-challenge-when-history-and-perception-collide/

Also, this fan-made informational video on the development of the game is very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdaZ0IfaUSE

When all the DLC comes out for this game, much like Shovel Knight, there's going to be a ton of content. I'm curious what the overall reception will be. Like I said, from what I did play, it was better than I expected. I'd have to play the final build and see how the game expands to see if it becomes an all-time favorite, but I seriously doubt it's going to be disappointing. I think it'll be quite good, it's just a matter of how good.
Macron One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
This column has lost all personality. I can get release information anywhere and Shelf Life no longer has a reason for me to keep coming back. I used to look forward to Monday every week to find perspective and cool pictures sent in by other collectors. I feel the site as a whole is suffering an imbalance--between news and personality.

I get where you're coming from, but i don't necessarily think the changes in the column were entirely avoidable. Doing 3 release impressions every week became unsustainable after anime disc releases evolved from 3 to 5 episode singles to collections of 1, 2 or more cours of anime, requiring too much time commitment from the writer. Doing a write-up on a single anime release, as the column shifted to for a while subsequently, just never seemed sufficiently representative, considering the amount of content being released every week.

Regarding the pictures of people's collections , i expect that the number of submissions must have been continually decreasing, as there were many shelf life articles in the past few years that lacked them despite frequent reminders at the bottom of the article, requesting that people send in photos .

I do agree that the Shelf Life column in its current form feels like it's lacking something, though i think that a combined weekly release list of Anime, Manga and Game releases is not a bad framework, as it can be useful to have a comprehensive overview of releases.
It could just do with something that gives it some flavour and draws people's attention to it.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I love the manga release list. It's so hard to keep track of what gets released when. Some titles are only a few months between releases and some can be over a year or even two. I really appreciate the summary and cover beside each title too. I'm discovering some gems. It's awesome to have everything in one place. Thank you!
Sandstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Whenever Our Eyes Meet
Yen Press - 192 pages - MSRP $12.99
Publisher's Description: The love between girls never stops blooming in this collection of office flings and workplace romances.

Our Reviews: No reviews or user ratings for this single-volume anthology so far.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/whenever-our-eyes-meet/gn/.147655

?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Some interesting titles are on the horizon.
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
Oh man, didn't realize Modest Heroes was finally coming out, can't wait!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
I'm excited to finally own Sailor Stars after all these years. I've really been enjoying the dub.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see Modest Heroes.

APOSIMZ is off to a really cool start, quite liked the first two volumes.

Looking forward to God Shining Moonlight Howling Moon especially for more great Shouji Sato artwork, so I'm hoping it ends up a pretty good series.

Seeing volume 5 in the list reminds me, I really need to get around to picking up these Gangsta: Cursed volumes since I like the main series so far and the anime (which seems quite unlikely to get revived/continued).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1