• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mamoru Oshii Unveils Vlad Love Vampire 'Girl-Meets-Girl' Comedy Anime Show

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 am Reply with quote
Not just his first series since Urusei Yatsura, but his first comedy as well. Should be interesting (anything Oshii does should be interesting either way, but still).
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:47 am Reply with quote
I know that what I'm going to say is controversial and only reflects my unimportant opinion, but anything Mamoru Oshii-sensei does is something to run away from like the devil runs from the cross... Very Happy Very Happy
sirdano1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:55 am Reply with quote
What a time to be alive.
Super_M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oshii noted that the anime "won't have any handsome men (ikemen)," and its story will solely focus on five young girls. He added that he wanted to "seriously tackle a story centering on a girl-meets-girl concept,"

I suspect series will be popular among yuri fans.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:22 am Reply with quote
Mamoru Oshii helming a CGDCT series.

What a time to be alive.
kyuudere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:53 am Reply with quote
@writer/ANN team.
The correct reading of 新垣一成 who took over the character designer role is Issei Arakaki, not Kazunari Niigaki.
This is his sakuga wiki page that has the correct reading to prove it.
https://www18.atwiki.jp/sakuga/pages/1452.amp

I know ANN database is often unreliable, but hopefully someone is willing to correct it.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:19 am Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:
I know that what I'm going to say is controversial and only reflects my unimportant opinion, but anything Mamoru Oshii-sensei does is something to run away from like the devil runs from the cross... Very Happy Very Happy

Now that’s a little unfair. I find his movies great for curing insomnia.
Hakase

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:38 am Reply with quote
Interesting tidbit about the staff and sypnosis. A five-girl group and one of them is a vampire with Lum vibes. Can't wait!

Quote:
Oshii noted that the anime "won't have any handsome men (ikemen)," and its story will solely focus on five young girls

I highly doubt it. I will believe when I see the anime. I don't want to see a recreation of Little Witch Academia TV anime.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:44 am Reply with quote
This is wild but I trust Oshii with my heart
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 am Reply with quote
Sounds good if there's indeed no ikemen around.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Not just his first series since Urusei Yatsura, but his first comedy as well. Should be interesting (anything Oshii does should be interesting either way, but still).

Although it was a 6-episode OVA rather than a series, and although it was extremely surrealistic comedy, I can't help but feel that Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! really ought to count on both fronts.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

This is the most important and most relevant take.

Looking forward to Isobe Carin and her monster-like qualities.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
I can only imagine the reactions when he announced to a room full of production committee officials that after 3 decades he was returning to anime to direct a yuri vampire comedy. The premise does sound a little similar to Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood but it will be interesting to see what he does with it.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I can only imagine the reactions when he announced to a room full of production committee officials that after 3 decades he was returning to anime to direct a yuri vampire comedy. The premise does sound a little similar to Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood but it will be interesting to see what he does with it.

Yuri, CGDCT or even yuri-CGDCT is experiencing great popularity, so why not? Moreover, we still do not know how this show will look like. Maybe it will be quite distinctive and memorable, so that we could say "wow, sasuga Oshii-san!"
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
I didn't see this coming...

pachy_boy wrote:

If I recall, the first Patlabor movie had its moments of comedy mixed in. Not enough to classify it as a comedy, but it was there likely due to the source material. Patlabor 2 pretty much ditched that though...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2