Forum - View topic
Magical Sempai TV Anime Will Have 12 Episodes




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ErikaD.D



Joined: 09 Jun 2019
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:47 am Reply with quote
These days every anime have (mostly) 12 or sometimes 24 episodes. I'm still disappointed that The Promised Neverland aired only 12 episodes but I find it ironic that Dr Stone is a year younger than TPN but Dr Stone will air more episodes(24) than TPN season 1. How double standarts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HoboSoup



Joined: 06 Aug 2017
Posts: 334
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:14 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
These days every anime have (mostly) 12 or sometimes 24 episodes. I'm still disappointed that The Promised Neverland aired only 12 episodes but I find it ironic that Dr Stone is a year younger than TPN but Dr Stone will air more episodes(24) than TPN season 1. How double standarts


...I don't think you know what "double standards" means. Also a lot of anime over the years even way back when were 12-24. There are also plenty of lengthy anime in recent years, JoJo, Boruto, My Hero Academia, Attack Of Titan, Symphogear, Sword Art Online, Black Clover, and a bunch more.

You can tell a story in 12-24 episodes easily so I don't get why a series "needs" to be more. 12 episodes is about 4 hours of show, (not including opening and ending of course. 24 is about 8 hours. That's more than enough time. You can tell a great story in a 12 minute short, 30 page one-shot, two hour film. It's all about pacing and what the story entails.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 3249
Location: Victoria, Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
Interesting to see that this series is going to only have 1 BD release. I think I've noticed a few other series only going for one release, rather than the usual 2-3 per 12 episodes. Is this a trend that we're expecting to see become more common in Japan?

ErikaD.D wrote:
These days every anime have (mostly) 12 or sometimes 24 episodes. I'm still disappointed that The Promised Neverland aired only 12 episodes but I find it ironic that Dr Stone is a year younger than TPN but Dr Stone will air more episodes(24) than TPN season 1. How double standarts

Not sure how this has to do with anything about Magical Sempai having 12 episodes, but...TPN is getting a 2nd season. Come 2020, I'd say both TPN and Dr Stone will have at least 24 episodes each. Potentially, TPN could end up with more.

Also, your gripe has nothing to do with double standards. Laughing

Some series just tend to get different treatment. Can't 100% say that an anime with more episodes is treated better, as not all longer adaptions are better than their shorter counterparts.

Just, a series not having enough episodes in someone's eyes is something you have to just accept. I mean, I still want more Hyouka. Red Data Girl is a 12 episode anime where they only left the last novel (I believe) unadapted. I could name more (an actual 2nd season of Aria the Scarlet Ammo would be nice...and another season of Baka to Test), but that will just derail things completely. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RealMTL



Joined: 09 Jun 2018
Posts: 72
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
Eh, I'm gonna pass on this show. Looks like nothing but fanservice to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCfanboy1



Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
That sounds INCREDIBLY short considering the first episode was about twelve minutes long.
At least when Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Regular Show, We Bare Bears (pretty much all Cartoon Network shows these days really) do it, they had a TON of episodes so that it would keep the audience entertained.

If you're going to make each episode last twelve minutes long for twelve episodes, then you'll likely feel underwhelmed by how short it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3774
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:


You can tell a story in 12-24 episodes easily


True though not every show wraps nicely in 12 episodes like Sakamoto or 24 like the 4th Lupin series.....which was actually 26 episodes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nDroae



Joined: 26 May 2017
Posts: 195
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
NCfanboy1 wrote:
That sounds INCREDIBLY short considering the first episode was about twelve minutes long. (...)

If you're going to make each episode last twelve minutes long for twelve episodes, then you'll likely feel underwhelmed by how short it is.

I've watched many anime consisting of 12 episodes in the range of two to twelve minutes each. Short-running short anime is a standard format. Some material actually works better this way; I've watched plenty of longer shows that I liked at first but wish would have ended before they overstayed their welcome and became stale and tired. I like this particular show alright as it is, but if it were longer I would not want to watch it.

Here are some examples of memorable shorts:

Oshiete! Galko-chan - 12 x 7 minutes. One of my favorite anime comedies of the past few years. Seems to be well-liked by female critics too.

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying - 13 x 3 minutes (plus a second season, same length). One of my all time favorite romance anime.

Honobono Log - 10 x 2 minutes. Each episode features a different couple in a heartwarming vignette. Must-watch for romance fans.

Binzume Yousei / Bottle Fairy - 13 x 13 minutes
Binchou-tan - 12 x 12 minutes
Two 2000's moe shows about adventures of tiny chibi girls, which I discovered via Hakumei & Mikochi. Must-watch for moe fans.

Plastic Neesan - 12 x 2 minutes. A great comedy from one of my favorite anime directors.

Ojisan to Marshmallow - 12 x 3 minutes. YMMV, but I thought it was hilarious.

Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time - 21 x 7 minutes. I actually felt this one ran a little longer than it should have, but it was quite inventive and generally well-received.

Quote:
At least when Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Regular Show, We Bare Bears (pretty much all Cartoon Network shows these days really) do it, they had a TON of episodes so that it would keep the audience entertained.

American animation is a different industry, but 12 x 12 minutes (about two hours excluding OP/ED songs) is the same length as the total runtime of Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series, which is legendary, some of my favorite 2D animated action ever created. It seems to be considered by many to be one of the top TV/film entries in Star Wars since the original trilogy. It could be argued that's not a high bar to surpass, but the point is it made a big impression in a few short episodes. And it immediately made that impact within its first season of 10 x 3 minute episodes.

It seems to me that when a short fails to do that, as this one likely will for many viewers, the blame lies on one or more of three factors: 1) choice of content; 2) quality of content; 3) presentation of content. Not the short format itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 3249
Location: Victoria, Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:00 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
It seems to me that when a short fails to do that, as this one likely will for many viewers, the blame lies on one or more of three factors: 1) choice of content; 2) quality of content; 3) presentation of content. Not the short format itself.

Agreed, the format may not be everyones' favourite, but it is not one that restricts every show.

Personally, my favourite show from last season was Senryuu Shoujo. Hell, it's probably one of the better romance/SoL anime series I've seen in a few years. 12 minutes, 12 episodes, and felt like there was so much heart to every character they brought along. Some 20-25 minutes 12 episode series don't flesh out characters as well as Senryuu Shoujo did in my eyes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slashman



Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 211
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:


Some series just tend to get different treatment. Can't 100% say that an anime with more episodes is treated better, as not all longer adaptions are better than their shorter counterparts.

Just, a series not having enough episodes in someone's eyes is something you have to just accept. I mean, I still want more Hyouka. Red Data Girl is a 12 episode anime where they only left the last novel (I believe) unadapted. I could name more (an actual 2nd season of Aria the Scarlet Ammo would be nice...and another season of Baka to Test), but that will just derail things completely. Laughing


+100% to everything you wrote!

I'm still pissed that they chose to animate Aria the Scarlet Ammo AA instead of continuing with the story they started.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group